1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Effects of eating out

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by eggs11, Mar 29, 2018.

1. eggs11

eggs11 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

just goes to show that fresh home cooked "real" food is the way to go..

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. LouWilk059

LouWilk059 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not that I'm a fan of eating out but I call "b.s."

"Phthalates are used in a large variety of products, from enteric coatings of pharmaceutical pills and nutritional supplements to viscosity control agents, gelling agents, film formers, stabilizers, dispersants, lubricants, binders, emulsifying agents, and suspending agents. End-applications include adhesives and glues, agricultural adjuvants, building materials, personal-care products, medical devices, detergents and surfactants, packaging, children's toys, modelling clay, waxes, paints, printing inks and coatings, pharmaceuticals, food products, and textiles. Phthalates are also frequently used in soft plastic fishing lures, caulk, paint pigments, and sex toysmade of so-called "jelly rubber". Phthalates are used in a variety of household applications such as shower curtains, vinyl upholstery, adhesives, floor tiles, food containers and wrappers, and cleaning materials. Personal-care items containing phthalates include perfume, eye shadow, moisturizer, nail polish, liquid soap, and hair spray.[8] "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate

4. eggs11

The takeaway I got from the article is that phthalates aren't good no matter where you absorb them from - the article also mentioned shampoo and as you've noted they are pretty much everywhere these days.

5. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't call eating fast food eating out, think it should be more specific in their language, a lot of good quality nutritious food can be available to eating out in restaurants, good pubs and cafes - from a plate with cutlery - not plastic boxes from fast food joints - also I think there's a lot more to worry about from fast food takeaways than this

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Absolutely!

If Phthalates are used in the plastic packaging of foods, then they are used in all the plastic packaging that covers supermarket food too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was tempted to post this but you beat me to it.

If you are not an American teenager you seem to be reasonably O.K.

It is another aspect of our dependence on plastics for food packaging. I wonder if anyone has tested sea creatures for phthalates? A quick look suggests that they don't seem to check fresh fish on the trawler so packaging may play a role in any found in the supermarket.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I agree "real food" is the way to go.
    However, lumping all "eating out" together is not doing justice to some amazing restaurants which cook "real food", often from local seasonal ingredients which have no need for plastic to keep them fresh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I love the play on words!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Sue192

Sue192 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It was the 'sex toys made of so-called 'jelly rubber'' that stood out for me in the list of things containing phthalates. The mind boggles.:wideyed:

Being serious, yes, food cooked from scratch is the way to go - and I also agree that many restaurants produce fabulous 'real' food - but, reading that list, I may as well go out in a blaze of carbs because phthalates are absolutely everywhere. As are any number of chemicals. If you took on board every warning, every scary research, every 'you MUST NOT eat/drink/wear/apply/sniff/whatever this *------- (*insert just about anything) you may as well give up. I'm not saying we should not be aware of these things and be mindful of their effects, and of course certain chemicals or additives can affect people badly, but sometimes the scare stories just become too much. After all, they are almost impossible to avoid unless you live in a nuclear-proof bunker....

• Like Like x 1
  11. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I managed to eat out on Tuesday, it was my wedding anniversary after all and as we both forgot last year, we had to do something this year.

As I only had fillet steak and fresh vegetables delivered to the pub by a real live local greengrocer (no plastic in sight), I think I'm OK for a while.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. eggs11

I just found it interesting that these chemicals are another small piece in the puzzle of what can contribute to certain conditions and was surprised to see type 2 mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the Red Tops haven't picked up that sex toys give you diabetes!:woot:

• Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook