is FBS 80 the standard health measure?

Pavan71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Want to ask this question in subject because once my FBS falls below 120, I am not comfortable, feel a bit week, get confused thinking and feel wavering. I am not taking any medication and on Keto diet for the past 45 days with FBS averaging to 121. So, want to know can I continue on 120 FBS. I read some where that the "Normal 80+" may not be the same for each person, but at the same time I dont want to take that excuse and ignore my numbers. So based on your experiences and expertise, please comment

Reactions: LueezBee

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A blood sugar level of 120mg/dL is equivalent to 6.6mmol/l. Fasting blood sugar of over 6.1mmol/l raises concerns about a likely diabetes diagnosis. In other words, it's too high. If you are feeling weak and confused when waking at 120 that suggests you have been running at much higher levels for a long time and your body, wrongly, thinks these numbers are too low and gives you hypo symptoms at normal/high numbers. You're having a false hypo.

Reactions: LueezBee

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
FBS levels are notoriously unpredictable because of several factors such as a poor night's sleep, the dawn phenomenon, time of taking the test and so forth. Better indicators of how well you are doing on a keto diet are before meals and bedtimes, when levels should be 100 or less, and no more than 108.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have you measured your blood pressure when you wake up feeling unwell?

Pavan71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Often blood pressure drops with a low carb diet and it may be low blood pressure, not low BG that is affecting you.
oh might be. Taking more salt to maintain it, but haven't checked. Can we believe pressure check from smart phone apps?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you follow TypeOneGrit or Dr Berstein, then you will find that 83mg/dl is the magical normal level that they strive for, from 3 year old to 83 year old.

https://www.facebook.com/Type1Grit/...7309865366/781502328675194/?type=3&permPage=1

17523675_781502328675194_3150888287470839982_n.jpg

The reason we often feel uncomfortable at this normal level is that our brain has likely become insulin resistant and need higher level of glucose and some ketones to function normally. Due to our T2D high circulating insulin levels, ketones production takes a while to ramp up. So there is an energy/fuel gap.

A stepped reduction of glucose levels will help us adjust better to the new normal. Or you might find taking some virgin coconut oil to be helpful as well...

Last edited: