Continuous Glucose Monitoring

Laura0497

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

I'm Type 1, have been for the past 13 or so years now, though I still struggle with control. I've been looking into Continuous Glucose Monitoring recently and was wondering if any other Type 1s have tried it and what the verdict is? I really think I could benefit from it as testing has always been my biggest issue!

Anything you can tell me, especially in regards to the possibility of getting something like this on the NHS, would be much appreciated!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have the Freestyle Libre and absolutely love it. It’s been an absolute game changer for me, I’ve always had problems with testing.

I have it on prescription in South Wales, availability really depends on your CCG. Sadly it’s a postcode lottery.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello!

I'm Type 1, have been for the past 13 or so years now, though I still struggle with control. I've been looking into Continuous Glucose Monitoring recently and was wondering if any other Type 1s have tried it and what the verdict is? I really think I could benefit from it as testing has always been my biggest issue!

Anything you can tell me, especially in regards to the possibility of getting something like this on the NHS, would be much appreciated!

Welcome to the forums!

An interesting first post - try entering Freestyle Libre in the search box at the top and see how many hits you get! (It's frequently discussed in the forums).

It officially became available on the NHS on 1st November 2017 but not many CCGs are funding it. You might be living in an area where it's available so ask your GP.

https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/li...MI5rankLCr2gIVL7HtCh2NkwW7EAAYASAAEgInm_D_BwE

If you self finance as I do it will cost you aroung £120 to get started and approx £100 per month afterwards.

Dexcom G5 (or now G6) is something else you can check on Google.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you self finance as I do it will cost you aroung £120 to get started
Should you be able and want to self-fund, you can skip buying the reader as most smartphones are compatible with a free app.

D

Deleted Account

What are you struggling with?

A CGM may be the answer or it may be a waste of money depending what you are struggling with.
Do you test regularly? Have you done basal testing to set your basal dose? Do you correct if your BG is too high or too low? Do you change the timing and dose of your bolus depending on what you are eating? ...

If you have a CGM, you will still need to do all of this. The difference is you have more data to make decisions with.