Low blood sugar and eye irritation?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I suddenly got incredibly low blood sugar today at the dentist - 1.9 !!! on my Freestyle Optium. I took Dextros and made it to safety, but it was incredibly scary. (It was because my Novorapid was unusually slow to act and I took a tiny bit more, then cycled to the dentist. A mistake, that. I know now.). But I wondered if anyone else has noticed a correlation between low BG and eye irritation. Seriously - stinging and inflammation that suddenly came on. No sight disturbances, just shakiness and trembling and this.

Just wondering.

I’m on LCHF and keto-adapted, which is probably why I didn’t collapse. I’ll do my best to avoid that again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

I have not experienced eye problems. However, I find if my BG is out of range (too high or too low), and niggles are exaggerated. This could be anything from a my nose running more when I have the start of a cold to a long term sports injury reminding me it’s still there.
So, if it happened to me, I would keep an eye on my eye (so to speak) in case there is something going on just out of my normal noticability.

Reactions: LucySW

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Wow @LucySW glad your ok, that must of been pretty scary.. Did it take long to feel ok and hope the practice took care of you ?

I haven't noticed any eye irritation with hypos, I can get a bit of twitching now and again or blurry vision, but that's about it.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suddenly got incredibly low blood sugar today at the dentist - 1.9 !!! on my Freestyle Optium. I took Dextros and made it to safety, but it was incredibly scary. (It was because my Novorapid was unusually slow to act and I took a tiny bit more, then cycled to the dentist. A mistake, that. I know now.). But I wondered if anyone else has noticed a correlation between low BG and eye irritation. Seriously - stinging and inflammation that suddenly came on. No sight disturbances, just shakiness and trembling and this.

Just wondering.

I’m on LCHF and keto-adapted, which is probably why I didn’t collapse. I’ll do my best to avoid that again.
Yes, sometimes when I drop quickly, I get that sensation in my eyes.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I know a high BG causes the lens of the eye to swell; which changes your ability to see .
So I suppose the reverse is also true for low BG

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know a high BG causes the lens of the eye to swell; which changes your ability to see .
So I suppose the reverse is also true for low BG

It could be, couldn’t it. I was wondering about that.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not eye irritation, but when my BG drops very low (or very rapidly) I do get problems with my vision. It'll get a bit blurry or I'll start seeing black spots etc.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @LucySW *waves*

I hope you are feeling better?
Can't have been much fun cycling home after that...?

Also, maybe the stress of the appointment affected things too. Lots of us get stressed like this, even when we are not aware of it, rather like White Coat Syndrome for blood pressure, but this time Dentist Stress for blood glucose.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be, couldn’t it. I was wondering about that.

Lucy - My memory may be playing tricks, but do I remember you using the Libre? If so, does your Libre trace give you any insight into the ferocity of your drop?

I'm not an insulin user, so have no relevant insights into the sorts of hypos you describe. I hope you're feeling better now.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @LucySW *waves*

I hope you are feeling better?
Can't have been much fun cycling home after that...?

Also, maybe the stress of the appointment affected things too. Lots of us get stressed like this, even when we are not aware of it, rather like White Coat Syndrome for blood pressure, but this time Dentist Stress for blood glucose.

Hi Brunneria Queen,

Waves back!

Things mostly okay, just getting impatient and snacking more, wh makes everything worse. Used two Libre sensors recently in attempt to pin things down again.

But df tiredness and impatience are to be contended with for good control. I get BORED, but our dear condition doesn’t.

xx

Reactions: Brunneria

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lucy - My memory may be playing tricks, but do I remember you using the Libre? If so, does your Libre trace give you any insight into the ferocity of your drop?

I'm not an insulin user, so have no relevant insights into the sorts of hypos you describe. I hope you're feeling better now.

Thanks, I got over it and more mindful of exercise now. I wasn’t on the Libre at the time though. I get it a few times a year.

A great tool.

Reactions: Brunneria