Is it too soon to fast?

Stronggirlsclub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening everyone.

I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 days ago. I’ve instantly taken the bull by the horns and am determined to reverse this by eating LCHF with IF.

The first 2 days I ate low carb but today decided to fast for 24hrs as I was away from home so wanted to ensure I didn’t make any food mistakes.

After 24hrs fasting (with 2 coffees plus cream) my SMBG Reading was 9.1mmol.

My question is, is it too soon for me to fast? Do I need to see some results through LCHF first? I’m assuming that this high reading was my liver kicking out a load of glucose, therefore wondering if I need to bring down my BG substantially before fasting again?

Thanks in advance

SGC

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't fast so can't comment on that part of it. I can say it will take your body some time to adjust. I was hugely impatient wanting results right away. I got results but not in the days I was hoping for more like weeks and months.

You sound like you are off to a good start though and will probably see good things in your future!

Stronggirlsclub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't fast so can't comment on that part of it. I can say it will take your body some time to adjust. I was hugely impatient wanting results right away. I got results but not in the days I was hoping for more like weeks and months.

You sound like you are off to a good start though and will probably see good things in your future!

This is really sweet of you to say. Thank you....the encouragement means so much at the moment.

I’m like you in that I want to see results to spur me on. Either way, I’m very committed to making this change I just wish I knew that this was working.

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is really sweet of you to say. Thank you....the encouragement means so much at the moment.

I’m like you in that I want to see results to spur me on. Either way, I’m very committed to making this change I just wish I knew that this was working.

I totally understand. I struggled with the diagnosis, adjusting to a new diet and wanting to turn it around while getting limited feedback (results). In my case I wore a libre that showed I was doing OK but not as well as I had hoped. My actual hba1c after 3 months though was quite a bit better. Turns out libres seem to show me a bit higher than I am.

It is a marathon not a sprint. But, I have found it has gotten much easier as I know what I am doing works and I have adjusted to a new way of eating.

Good luck and look forward to hearing about your success!

Reactions: JMcB

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience of fasting is that it gets much, much easier once i am fat adapted and in ketosis.

Don’t know if you get carb cravings? Some do, some don’t. If you do, then it can be a major impediment to fasting, but the cravings just disappear after your body has adjusted to very low carb.

At this stage, it is all very new and exciting - and you are doing fabulously! - but eventually we all need to settle in for the long haul. :D

Stronggirlsclub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My experience of fasting is that it gets much, much easier once i am fat adapted and in ketosis.

Don’t know if you get carb cravings? Some do, some don’t. If you do, then it can be a major impediment to fasting, but the cravings just disappear after your body has adjusted to very low carb.

At this stage, it is all very new and exciting - and you are doing fabulously! - but eventually we all need to settle in for the long haul. :D

Yes I completely agree. I hope to settle into something which can stay with me for life, but at the moment I am focussed on short term goals as we are really hoping to start a family soon so that’s a huge motivator.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The liver damping out suger is good, as you need to empty it of all suger and fat before your inslin resistance will improve. BG up to about 10 over a short time do no long term damage and hence should not stop you fasting.

But lifelong low carb is what gives most of us the most benifit, fasting speeds up the process but is not needed for most people with type2.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a strong believer in intermittent fasting..as well as a ketogenic diet. Haven't had breakfast in 2 1/2 years. I have done a few extended fasts (and need to do some more!) and would say it gets easier the more low carb experience you have but if you can hack it at the start then I'd say go for it. I'm assuming so soon into diagnosis you aren't taking any meds yet?
Your liver will certainly take the opportunity to dump sugar out fo your system when it can so you might get some higher readings to start with but sounds like you are monitoring so you'll be able to see the benefits.
Good luck and if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Reactions: jasmindesylva