How can I get a pump without doing Dafne course?

Unknownlegend

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive been type 1 now for almost 29 years and to be honest not a lot has changed for me during all this time with diabetes. I’m still taking 4 injections a day. For years I’ve read in newspapers and media about all these breakthroughs for diabetes, but to be honest, I never see any change.

My diabetic clinic only calls me once a year now despite having a heart attack 6 years ago (due to diabetes) and 4 stents in. This is due to resources, but when I go and inquire about insulin pump, they tell me I need to go on Dafne course first to stand any chance. The problem here is that I’m in a Managerial role that takes me all over the world and I’m travelling almost every week, I’ve always tried not to let diabetes hold me back, therefore due to nature of my job I cannot get time to attend Dafne, it’s just not possible, and I don’t really want to use a week of my holidays to go on a course.

Recently I was working in Holland, Germany and Scandinavia, and every type 1 person I met had a pump. They didn’t have to do a Dafne in fact most had never heard of it. Has anyone any suggestions or advice please?

D

Deleted Account

Even if you don’t go on a DAFNE course, you need to invest time in adjusting to a pump.
It is worth it and any company worth working for will understand this.
If they don’t they are not complying with the Disability Discrimination Act.

Unknownlegend

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Even if you don’t go on a DAFNE course, you need to invest time in adjusting to a pump.
It is worth it and any company worth working for will understand this.
If they don’t they are not complying with the Disability Discrimination Act.

Many thanks for your reply Helen

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your not the only one, my doctors want me to travel to a clinic that isn’t that easy to get to every morning and the fact I work in the mornings, they want to put me on the pump but constantly tell me I need to go to a daphne course, I don’t wanna sound horrible but I’m happy to talk to other diabetics on here but I don’t wanna be stuck in a room talking to a load of diabetics I just wanna sort myself out and be happy

Reactions: Tom.thomas61

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Unknownlegend - welcome to the forum :)

My understanding is that the NHS specifies this as a prerequisite to getting access to a pump as it proves you have a good knowledge of carb counting, insulin management and sick day rules etc, as the pump requires a good deal of user input and control to ensure it works effectively. Sadly as there is a lack of funding they cannot hand them out to everyone so anyone who gets one has to of proven that they are capable of taking full ownership of making the pump work successfully for them. Doing DAFNE is a very small sacrifice to make when you appreciate the benefits of pump management and the impact on your life. I would encourage you to take a weeks holiday if your employer isn’t forthcoming with time off, this is something I did as i’m self employed, also get ‘pumping insulin’ it’s a good read for getting your head round using one and achieving excellent results.

Reactions: Picci

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
As far as I understand all you need do is prove you can carb count. I never did a DAFNE course and had no intention of doing one, as I pointed out to the dietitian I had carb counted from the age 5 with the help of my lovely mum and as the years went by obviously honed my skills as more and more food choices became available. Having been on insulin now for 53 years I think I have it well and truly sussed as on my fourth pump.

I remember the day well years ago when a very smug dietitian declared in great delight my carb counting skills were not up to scratch because I didn't know the carb value of pizza! Well hello I don't like pizza so why the heck would I want to know the carb value?:banghead: Silly moo would not accept I didn't like pizza and basically called me a liar.

Unknownlegend

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Your not the only one, my doctors want me to travel to a clinic that isn’t that easy to get to every morning and the fact I work in the mornings, they want to put me on the pump but constantly tell me I need to go to a daphne course, I don’t wanna sound horrible but I’m happy to talk to other diabetics on here but I don’t wanna be stuck in a room talking to a load of diabetics I just wanna sort myself out and be happy
I agree it’s really difficult for me to fit around my job, you’d think there would be an online course in this day and age to allow flexibility for people like us.

Unknownlegend

Type of diabetes
Type 1

My understanding is that the NHS specifies this as a prerequisite to getting access to a pump as it proves you have a good knowledge of carb counting, insulin management and sick day rules etc, as the pump requires a good deal of user input and control to ensure it works effectively. Sadly as there is a lack of funding they cannot hand them out to everyone so anyone who gets one has to of proven that they are capable of taking full ownership of making the pump work successfully for them. Doing DAFNE is a very small sacrifice to make when you appreciate the benefits of pump management and the impact on your life. I would encourage you to take a weeks holiday if your employer isn’t forthcoming with time off, this is something I did as i’m self employed, also get ‘pumping insulin’ it’s a good read for getting your head round using one and achieving excellent results.
Thanks mosh, I think after 30 years I know how to count carbs without having to go on DAfne, basically I’m being persecuted because of type of job I do so they won’t give me a pump.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Unknownlegend - There's the online BERTIE course, but I have no idea how much sway that has in the real world.

I appreciate that taking a week away from business is tricky (although I'm guessing when you had your cardio-vascular events you and the business managed it somehow), but is the issue for you, personally, it being 5 days on the trot, or is the issue you just don't see why you should do it?

I don't know if there are any private resources around where you live that you could tap into? If not yourself, then perhaps your employer would do that to help minimise down time?

I know as a senior manager I paid (well, my budget paid) for operations and all sorts because it was less costly to the business to get the person's treatment immediately, rather than have them off sick waiting for treatment.

In my area there is a DSN who fairly recently stopped working for the NHS, but still does sessional stuff, including in our local private health practice.

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did the Bertie course which made me have more of a understanding of the carb counts, then going to a meeting with other children. As much as I try to tell my doctors I’ve done the Bertie course and I understand more, they still want me to go on daphne course. It’s constantly confusing because I get told different things about the way I should do everything. Thankfully my gp is brilliant and I can go to him whenever I feel unsure of things I get told to do by the hospital.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Exactly, well said.
I was taught to carb count from diagnosis, so I didn't feel I needed to know anything else. However, I did attend a DAFNE course a few years ago. So much I already new but, I learned so much more again.
It was well worth it. I've also just started pump therapy following 39 years MDI.

Reactions: Dodo and Juicyj

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I think a week out of your time to do the DAFNE course is a pretty good deal. Even if you do carb count there is still a bit to learn. AND if its in the criteria for getting a pump then you don't really have a choice

Reactions: Picci

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Most of us just sucked it up and did the course. Very few enjoy it, some don't learn anything from it but its just a hoop you have to go through much like appraisals.

Unknownlegend

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks everyone, it’s not that I don’t want to do Dafne, it’s just that it doesn’t fit into my job and lifestyle very well. It’s suitable for people who don’t work. They offered me course one day a week for a month but I’m away on business nearly every week so that doesn’t help much either. I guess the only way is for me to take a weeks holiday out of my time, it’s just I work so hard I’m ready for a week in the sun every time my holiday is due, so choice between going to hospital to sit and carb count for a week or like in sun it’s the latter every time ha.

Reactions: porl69

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone, it’s not that I don’t want to do Dafne, it’s just that it doesn’t fit into my job and lifestyle very well. It’s suitable for people who don’t work. They offered me course one day a week for a month but I’m away on business nearly every week so that doesn’t help much either. I guess the only way is for me to take a weeks holiday out of my time, it’s just I work so hard I’m ready for a week in the sun every time my holiday is due, so choice between going to hospital to sit and carb count for a week or like in sun it’s the latter every time ha.

If the business would give you a day a week, or a day every couple of weeks, whilst inconvenient, it doesn't sound too catastrophic to me to join those days up.

Nobody is indispensable; much as we might like to think otherwise.

Occupational Health may be able to help you out if up the food chain isn't being helpful. If you have PMI, which seems likely if you are senior management, they may help too; whether or not your employer's policy usually covers diabetes issues.

It's amazing where flexibility can come from if they want it to.

misspinky1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible people
I was told I had to but I never was shown to carb count I was diagnosed in 84 carb count from 2012 was so cross wasn’t shown and they said I slipped through the net

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I disagree on the suitable for people who don’t work idea as everyone who did my course worked we all just had to take time off from work to attend. Annoying I agree but pretty much a necessity to get the pump. I actually did my course when I was diagnosed as a newbie 11yrs ago I found it was really handy and also when years later I asked for a they couldn’t say no as I had already done it.

It is a shame that they don’t do an evening class or evening appointments for that matter but then they can’t suit everyone I suppose

localshop

yeah, with the exception of one person on the DAFNE we all work for a living. I was of the same opinion (that I didn't fancy spending 5 days sharing a room with fellow diabetics) however we all learned from each other. I've said it before on here that I really can't recommend DAFNE enough, it's changed my diabetes management. If your carb counting is spot on then power to you, mine wasn't good and now it is. It's worth taking a week's holiday from work in my opinion, but I suppose we're al different. I hope you get sorted and manage to get a pump.