Type 2 drinking non-alcoholic wine

BerniC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there, I enjoy the occasional glass of wine but have received conflicting advice about it (apart from keeping intake low, which I accept). Because I understand that it's not just the sugar content that affects blood glucose, but the alcohol itself, I have been buying non-alcoholic white wine recently. The label says it has 5gms sugar per 100ml. Normal wine does not give a measure on the bottle so I don't know if this is higher or lower than standard wine. Is it better to drink this because the alcohol is removed or worse because the sugar content might be higher? While we're on the subject, which wine is better, red, dry white or fizz? My diabetic nurse told me when I was diagnosed 5 years ago that champagne was the best, if I was drinking it at all.
Thank you - all help gratefully received.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
which wine is better, red, dry white or fizz?
Hi BerniC,
There was a study a little while back showed that a glass of Red is the best helps your liver stay in tip top condition. Even better than a glass of water. Even white wine beat water. Go figure. :bookworm:

Fizzy wasn't included in the study sorry. ;)
:bag:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, I enjoy the occasional glass of wine but have received conflicting advice about it (apart from keeping intake low, which I accept). Because I understand that it's not just the sugar content that affects blood glucose, but the alcohol itself, I have been buying non-alcoholic white wine recently. The label says it has 5gms sugar per 100ml. Normal wine does not give a measure on the bottle so I don't know if this is higher or lower than standard wine. Is it better to drink this because the alcohol is removed or worse because the sugar content might be higher? While we're on the subject, which wine is better, red, dry white or fizz? My diabetic nurse told me when I was diagnosed 5 years ago that champagne was the best, if I was drinking it at all.
Thank you - all help gratefully received.
I have carried on drinking one or two glasses of red wine or prosseco or gin and soda water depending on what I fancied throughout my time of Low carb and intermittent fasting. Spirits are zero carbs - wine caries 1-3 a glass I believe but all can help relax you and lower your bgs provided you keep in limits and you count the carbs. I only drink Thursday to Sunday and it hasn’t stopped me losing three stone and reducing my hbaca1 to 33 . It’s a personal decision but would guess non alcoholic wine was the worst choice either drink low carb soft drinks or drink a limited amount of the lowest carb real stuff!

BerniC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have carried on drinking one or two glasses of red wine or prosseco or gin and soda water depending on what I fancied throughout my time of Low carb and intermittent fasting. Spirits are zero carbs - wine caries 1-3 a glass I believe but all can help relax you and lower your bgs provided you keep in limits and you count the carbs. I only drink Thursday to Sunday and it hasn’t stopped me losing three stone and reducing my hbaca1 to 33 . It’s a personal decision but would guess non alcoholic wine was the worst choice either drink low carb soft drinks or drink a limited amount of the lowest carb real stuff!
Thanks Shelley, I am not on any meds and was not overweight when diagnosed, my HBa1c is around 43 but I would like to get it lower. The information about wine and prosseco was helpful. I sometimes drink gin and sugar-free tonic, but mostly prefer wine. Sounds like the alcohol-free stuff is not good then.

BerniC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi BerniC,
There was a study a little while back showed that a glass of Red is the best helps your liver stay in tip top condition. Even better than a glass of water. Even white wine beat water. Go figure. :bookworm:

Fizzy wasn't included in the study sorry. ;)
Thank you - it was an honest query, but I assume you are being sarcastic which was not particularly helpful.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Shelley, I am not on any meds and was not overweight when diagnosed, my HBa1c is around 43 but I would like to get it lower. The information about wine and prosseco was helpful. I sometimes drink gin and sugar-free tonic, but mostly prefer wine. Sounds like the alcohol-free stuff is not good then.
Prosseco and champagne are one gram of carb per glass and red and dry white two grams of carb I just checked on diet doctor
If you go to www.dietdoctor.com and do a search on alcohol you’ll get lots of information about alcohol and keto diet including a list of low carb drinks. So as long as you count them you can include in low carb.
I’m not sure how many grams of carb are in non alcoholic wine but may well be higher you could search it on a carb counter programme it’s not something I’ve ever tried drinking.
Alcohol has been shown to lower bgs btw especially red wine and it definitely lowers my fasting sugars the following morning when I’ve had a glass of something especially red wine.
My Hbac1 on diagnosis was 97 and it’s now 33 so personally it’s not hindered me and probably helped as feel less deprived!

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you - it was an honest query, but I assume you are being sarcastic which was not particularly helpful.
Sorry mate not sure why you think I'm taking the micky, I was trying to be helpful.

The study is quoted in Dr Mosley's 8 Week blood sugar Diet book. :bookworm:
Where he recommends drinking a glass of red wine because the study showed it to be beneficial to people with T2 diabetes. Subjects were give red wine, white wine or a glass of water for a year to see how it benefited the liver. Water came in last.

It's not my fault if it sounds ridiculous. ;)

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry mate not sure why you think I'm taking the micky, I was trying to be helpful.

The study is quoted in Dr Mosley's 8 Week blood sugar Diet book. :bookworm:
Where he recommends drinking a glass of red wine because the study showed it to be beneficial to people with T2 diabetes. Subjects were give red wine, white wine or a glass of water for a year to see how it benefited the liver. Water came in last.

It's not my fault if it sounds ridiculous. ;)
The trouble is you cant have as many glassses of red wine as glasses of water! :cat: