Much improved HbA1c!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow well done indeed.. great results.. don't be downhearted you now have something to aim for next time!

Reactions: eggs11

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow well done indeed.. great results.. don't be downhearted you now have something to aim for next time!
Thanks @bulkbiker that is true! And thank you for your help in answering my questions about fasting in the past - without you I wouldn't have discovered Dr Jason Fung's work - I am now reading The Diabetes Code - I love his no-nonsense, cut to the chase, approach!

Reactions: Freema

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I got my 3 month review HbA1c test results back today - from a high of 72 at diagnosis in January I've now dropped to 42 - so the lowest end of prediabetes. As I phoned for my results the receptionist said my nurse had written by the result "Much improved - well done!". My nurse is lovely and very up on the latest science - has no problem with me being low carb - I have my proper review with her next week.

The other good news is my cholesterol is the same at 5.6, HDL 1.2 and calculated LDL 3.9 - and apparently that has been passed my GP as fine - PHEW!

I want to thank everyone on this forum - I wouldn't have discovered many techniques for control without you all, from fasting to testing my blood sugars – you are all brilliant and so, so helpful. A particular shout out to @Bluetit1802 who was very patient with my numerous questions at the start of my diabetes journey.

My happiness is tinged with mild frustration that the 42 is a good bit higher than my predicted A1c of 35, based on lots of testing each day which I then put into MySugr for a calculated average. I know my iron levels are a little low, according to previous blood tests, and there's a chance this could have come into play, so I will discuss this at my review next week, armed with my data. Either that or I have been missing peaks somehow - but I do test a lot.

I will report back from my review on Wednesday - but in the meantime THANK YOU!
Congratulations Eggs11. A lovely inspitational outcome for you and us!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I'm yet again glad to have followed @Bluetit1802's advice to get my test results printed out. For the first time my cholesterol has a trigs level recorded - at 1.21 - normal - I don't know how high they were at diagnosis, just that my HDL was low then - it is a bit higher now.
On my FBC my mean cell haemoglobin level and mean cell haemoglobin concentration levels are below range - as with every test I've had in the last few months, as well as tests for other things in prior years, so I guess that is 'normal' for me. Will check with my nurse if this could have had a bearing on the HbA1c being slightly higher than expected.
What was lovely - and a defining moment for me today - more than even getting the figures - was seeing 'no further action required' on every single test result I'd had done. That doesn't mean I'm going to risk getting complacent, as as far as I'm concerned, there's still much more work to do, but it was nice to see.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant work @eggs11

I too use the MySugr app to estimate HbA1c and was a bit disappointed when the lab test came back a bit higher. It still monitored the general trend downwards though so I’m trying not to get too hung up on each 0.1% as it changes.

Completely agree with you and @bulkbiker about JF. I’ve just finished the Diabetes Code: a riveting book.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant work @eggs11

I too use the MySugr app to estimate HbA1c and was a bit disappointed when the lab test came back a bit higher. It still monitored the general trend downwards though so I’m trying not to get too hung up on each 0.1% as it changes.

Completely agree with you and @bulkbiker about JF. I’ve just finished the Diabetes Code: a riveting book.
Thanks @DJC3 - overall I feel like you, I've still managed a good drop and bloods are now near normal so am happy with 42 - but I know from my fasting bg that there's more work to do - still got some fat/sugar to remove from my liver - so onwards and downwards!

Reactions: DJC3

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I got my 3 month review HbA1c test results back today - from a high of 72 at diagnosis in January I've now dropped to 42 - so the lowest end of prediabetes. As I phoned for my results the receptionist said my nurse had written by the result "Much improved - well done!". My nurse is lovely and very up on the latest science - has no problem with me being low carb - I have my proper review with her next week.

The other good news is my cholesterol is the same at 5.6, HDL 1.2 and calculated LDL 3.9 - and apparently that has been passed my GP as fine - PHEW!

I want to thank everyone on this forum - I wouldn't have discovered many techniques for control without you all, from fasting to testing my blood sugars – you are all brilliant and so, so helpful. A particular shout out to @Bluetit1802 who was very patient with my numerous questions at the start of my diabetes journey.

My happiness is tinged with mild frustration that the 42 is a good bit higher than my predicted A1c of 35, based on lots of testing each day which I then put into MySugr for a calculated average. I know my iron levels are a little low, according to previous blood tests, and there's a chance this could have come into play, so I will discuss this at my review next week, armed with my data. Either that or I have been missing peaks somehow - but I do test a lot.

I will report back from my review on Wednesday - but in the meantime THANK YOU!

Your latest HbA1c is great , remember the HbA1c is an average of the last 3 month and you will get an even lower one next time

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations @eggs11 I’m really pleased for you. Very well deserved progress!