sharing a simple way to get enough blood for testing

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
I found this way to be very effective. Just pinch the finger that is to be pricked a few times. Then clean with alcohol, after dry then one prick will get a round drop of blood within 2-3sec.

Any comment?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Not too sure about the alcohol wipe. Regular soap and water seems adequate to me.

Reactions: Picci and millenium

Mick1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excuse my ignorance, but why would you not use an alcohol wipe if you have one?

Before they take blood, my skin is wiped with an alcohol wipe, so I thought it would be OK to use one.

Reactions: millenium

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think a lot of people believe it can alter the readings but there are studies that show otherwise.
Simply experiment for your self and then decide if it's ok or not.

"In our study, use of an instant hand sanitizer was compatible with the results of a blood glucose monitor and did not affect finger stick blood glucose results. However, depending on surface area, hand sanitizers may not be adequate for cleaning the skin prior to glucose meter testing."

" Therefore, when used according to manufacturer’s instructions, the data suggest that alcohol-based hand sanitizers are compatible with the OneTouch Ultra2 blood glucose monitoring system, and hand sanitizer does not cross react or otherwise interfere with test strip chemistry or glucose meter results"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3262711/

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I found this way to be very effective. Just pinch the finger that is to be pricked a few times. Then clean with alcohol, after dry then one prick will get a round drop of blood within 2-3sec.

Any comment?

I am a good bleeder, I have had it spurt out too. Washing in warm water helps too.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I had alcohol wipes when diagnosed, 1989, but haven't had them for many years.

Mick1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was curious about the alcohol wipes, as I generally wash my hands as I find warm water helps with the blood flow for finger prick.

But if I wanted, I have access to pre-injection swabs at work (70% isopropyl alcohol), which are the right size and used for degreasing small metal components we use, and thought of getting some for when I am travelling, rather than use hand sanitiser, when cannot wash hands (e.g. out for a days walk or bike ride)

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told to discontinue using hand sanitiser before testing shortly after diagnosis as the alcohol can affect readings. I just wash hands normally now if necessary or I have some hand wipes without alcohol in them if needs be when out and about.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Excuse my ignorance, but why would you not use an alcohol wipe if you have one?

Before they take blood, my skin is wiped with an alcohol wipe, so I thought it would be OK to use one.

If you mean a blood draw then it occurs to me that the inner surface of one's elbow doesn't normally come into as many possible contaminants as one's hands but how often per day would we wash the area used for blood draws?

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Newly diagnosed????

I am normal. I post for my father as i am his care giver. He is early type 2 and has low blood pressure. So getting enough blood out to test is a challenge every time.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not too sure about the alcohol wipe. Regular soap and water seems adequate to me.

I am not sure if the towel i reuse a few days before washing is clean enough.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
As long as the alcohol dry off totally, it should not affect the reading. It evapourates very quickly and save the trouble of the need to wash hand. Hospital i was at use alcohol wipes before pricking.

I think a lot of people believe it can alter the readings but there are studies that show otherwise.
Simply experiment for your self and then decide if it's ok or not.

"In our study, use of an instant hand sanitizer was compatible with the results of a blood glucose monitor and did not affect finger stick blood glucose results. However, depending on surface area, hand sanitizers may not be adequate for cleaning the skin prior to glucose meter testing."

" Therefore, when used according to manufacturer’s instructions, the data suggest that alcohol-based hand sanitizers are compatible with the OneTouch Ultra2 blood glucose monitoring system, and hand sanitizer does not cross react or otherwise interfere with test strip chemistry or glucose meter results"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3262711/
Dry
You could use kitchen paper, perhaps?

Good idea. Will try when i run out of alcohol wipe that came with the strips.

Reactions: Mick1959