Type 2 Could it be my pancreas

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am getting frustrated because I am still getting 6s and 7s with the odd 8 FB after four months of LCHF. The only time I see a 5 is after 2pm. I try to keep under 50g carbs a day, sometimes less. At the weekend I drink red wine. I have built up a good bank of trusted meals and get less than 2 difference almost always. My recorded diary shows the same results I was getting at the beginning. I thought that my IR retraining would be showing me 6s and 5s by now. I am beginning to wonder if I am not making enough insulin to counter the sugar rush. In 2012 I had a distal pancretectomy so it would be surprising if my pancreas was working at full capacity. I take Creon enzymes to aid digestion. Does anybody have any views?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PenguinMum - When is your next HbA1c due? The reason I ask is that for some people, their finger prick tests and HbA1cs don't seem to reflect each other too closely. Our finger prick tests are literally a snapshot in time - where your bloods were at that moment, so we can miss some higher and lower readings.

Don't stress too much over it for now. If it comes to it, there are tests your Doc can carry out to assess your insulin production, but for now, just keep going. Some of our bodies snap into a good place quickly and for others, their bodies take a bit more persuading over a slightly longer period.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PenguinMum - When is your next HbA1c due? The reason I ask is that for some people, their finger prick tests and HbA1cs don't seem to reflect each other too closely. Our finger prick tests are literally a snapshot in time - where your bloods were at that moment, so we can miss some higher and lower readings.

Don't stress too much over it for now. If it comes to it, there are tests your Doc can carry out to assess your insulin production, but for now, just keep going. Some of our bodies snap into a good place quickly and for others, their bodies take a bit more persuading over a slightly longer period.
M next HBA1c is June 3 months after the last. I havnt had any other fallout from my pancretectomy so I think I will carry on as I am with maybe a bit more structured exercise until then. I think I remember someone on here saying it took them up to 18 months to get the numbers down to acceptable levels. Thank you so much for your support.

karen diana

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
I am getting frustrated because I am still getting 6s and 7s with the odd 8 FB after four months of LCHF. The only time I see a 5 is after 2pm. I try to keep under 50g carbs a day, sometimes less. At the weekend I drink red wine. I have built up a good bank of trusted meals and get less than 2 difference almost always. My recorded diary shows the same results I was getting at the beginning. I thought that my IR retraining would be showing me 6s and 5s by now. I am beginning to wonder if I am not making enough insulin to counter the sugar rush. In 2012 I had a distal pancretectomy so it would be surprising if my pancreas was working at full capacity. I take Creon enzymes to aid digestion. Does anybody have any views?

Hi I also had a distal pancretecomy I also take Creons . I am on mixed insulin twice a day with one metfomin am and tea time. Are you on no medication

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @PenguinMum your blood sugars are certainly A-OK!! Are you trying to get a very tight range like 4-6? I don't see the need to do that although I know there are many who feel they need to do so.....Maybe you need to relax a little more - maybe have another glass of wine:) You are doing a great job, so just keep going forward! L

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I also had a distal pancretecomy I also take Creons . I am on mixed insulin twice a day with one metfomin am and tea time. Are you on no medication
Hi Karen the only med I was offered was Metformin and I didnt want to start. It was never suggested that my Diabetes might be related to my pancretectomy. So its only now I have found out a bit more that I am questionning this. On the one hand I would prefer not to medicate but on the other hand I dont want to overwork my reduced pancrestic capacity and have it pack up further down the line.
Do you mind me asking what were the circumstancs of your diabetis diagnosis? Just want to get a bit perspective.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @PenguinMum your blood sugars are certainly A-OK!! Are you trying to get a very tight range like 4-6? I don't see the need to do that although I know there are many who feel they need to do so.....Maybe you need to relax a little more - maybe have another glass of wine:) You are doing a great job, so just keep going forward! L
Thank you Lindijanice for the lovely encouragement. I am really trying to do the right thing and want my next HBA1c to be as good if not better. I would like to find out though if my pancreatic surgery has had any bearing on things and I can then just concentrate on being a Type 2. I think that conversation will be with my DN next time.

Reactions: lindijanice

karen diana

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Karen the only med I was offered was Metformin and I didnt want to start. It was never suggested that my Diabetes might be related to my pancretectomy. So its only now I have found out a bit more that I am questionning this. On the one hand I would prefer not to medicate but on the other hand I dont want to overwork my reduced pancrestic capacity and have it pack up further down the line.
Do you mind me asking what were the circumstancs of your diabetis diagnosis? Just want to get a bit perspective.

Hi I was first diagnosed with type 2 in 2010 on metfomin twice a day . 2016 I was diagnosed with neuro endocrine tumour of the pancreas. I had the tail removed along with my spleen and a piece of liver. After a week in hospital with sugar levels all over the place they then put me on a rolling driver which confirmed I needed insulin. Which I take now twice a day and since my level have really been good. I did at one point stop taking my creons which had an adverse effect with my sugar levels. I am really surprised you are not on mixed insulin