For those on low carb - do you ever have bread or potatoes?

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find potatoes don’t affect me much, have a roast with a few spuds and loads of veg every Sunday. The odd sandwich with super seeded bread doesn’t affect me either. Occasionally have a few oven chips which don’t spike me too high but if I have 1 grain of rice I test in the 10’s/11’s two or more hours after.. I have spag Bol once a fortnight and pasta doesn’t spike me too high. As long as I steer clear of white bread, cider, chip shop chips, rice and milk chocolate, I’m Ok... Although I do think life’s short enough and a little of what you like every now and again surely can’t hurt too much?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Occasionally have a few oven chips which don’t spike me too high

Try frying your chips. The fat works wonders. I can manage a few with no spike at all. We fry them in lard.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try frying your chips. The fat works wonders. I can manage a few with no spike at all. We fry them in lard.

Really? I threw away my deep fat fryer in 2010 after my jeans no longer fit me but Maybe once or twice a year I’ll fry some chips at home but not tested after... I will have to try! I know if I have roast potatoes in goose fat I hardly raise, but cannot find goose fat anywhere after Xmas.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
It is when in a few years' time they cut your feet off and give you a white stick that you notice the difference. Or you may be lucky and die of a heart attack first. You might find this video educational, just don't watch it during dinner!
If I eat a ?it of carbs I get very depressed and my thinking is not right at all.But I don't eat bread or pasta or potatoes.Had z salad in a restaurant today with Tune has potato salad and coleslaw on the plate and I just brush them aside.So I now check what I am eating.

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is when in a few years' time they cut your feet off and give you a white stick that you notice the difference. Or you may be lucky and die of a heart attack first. You might find this video educational, just don't watch it during dinner!
I just watched a few minutes couldn't see the rest of it....it was awful and frightening

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat 1 potato maybe twice a week when my daughter cooks her vegetarian and very delicious foods , I prefer to eat it the days I have exercised a lot and have burned the 2000 calories ... from which I get the space to sin a bit also sometimes have some bread then, but I also eat the LIDL high protein rolls instead of bread .... and I do eat oats porridge with cinnamon and sukralose maybe once a week too

D

Deleted member 308541

I eat 1 potato maybe twice a week when my daughter cooks her vegetarian and very delicious foods
I have been reheating cooked potatoes in the microwave, then brown them off in the frying pan when I have cooked my omelette and bacon.

I had one this morning cut in half and it did not raise my bgl when I took it after breakfast.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Reheated fresh mashed potato is OK for me. No high bgs or late high bgs like from pizza or some lasagnes.
I eat protein bread with no crusts on too.

MikeyU

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Other
I bake my own bread (heavy sourdough German/Polish type), mainly wholemeal rye/spelt and occasionally wholegrain wheat. I experiment with different flours, always wholegrain though. I eat two thick slices for breakfast, usually with avocado or butter and smoked salmon and some cottage cheese (I mix in some chopped chives, red radish and chopped hard boiled eggs). I get no spikes at all, this morning my FBG was 5.7 (yesterday 5.3) and 2 hrs postprandial was 4.8 which surprised me a lot as usually it's in the range of 5.5-6.5. 4.8 was my lowest postprandial breakfast reading ever.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Really? I threw away my deep fat fryer in 2010 after my jeans no longer fit me but Maybe once or twice a year I’ll fry some chips at home but not tested after... I will have to try! I know if I have roast potatoes in goose fat I hardly raise, but cannot find goose fat anywhere after Xmas.

We have proper home made ones, cooked twice, deep fried in lard. They taste just like mum's did in the old days. I don't have many. Between 6 and 10 depending on what else is in the meal, usually only 6. I also manage 2 small roast potatoes on a Sunday, roasted in either goose or duck fat. Also 2 small new boiled, either as they are or left to go cold, sliced and fried.

Reactions: hankjam

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been reheating cooked potatoes in the microwave, then brown them off in the frying pan when I have cooked my omelette and bacon.

I had one this morning cut in half and it did not raise my bgl when I took it after breakfast.
I love reheated and roasted potatoes... I think I´ll try that too and measure before and after... when I have finished my high protein diet... in a fortnight..

D

Deleted member 308541

I love reheated and roasted potatoes... I think I´ll try that too and measure before and after... when I have finished my high protein diet... in a fortnight..
I have tried cooked spuds, pasta and rice reheated and only reheated rice spiked me up into the 10.0 mmol/l levels. It was a small portion around 150 grams so that is off of my list of foods to eat completely now. The other two I do not have problems with.

I like eating cold roast potatoes with a sprinkle of salt on them.

Lovejoy00

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A few roast potatoes in a roast dinner didnt spike my levels, however a load of mash did.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The question is paradoxical.

We are low-carbers because we do not eat bread or potatoes.
If we were to eat bread or potatoes we would not longer be low-carbers.
:wacky:

I am not sure I agree. Low carb is a reduction in total carbs - often stated as less than 100 a day. You can allow a small amount of potato and keep in the 100g of carb a day quite easily. Of course that means a whole heap of other compromises so you might choose not to.

Myself, I just cannot tolerate bread (the last time I checked) so I dont bother but I found potato in moderation to have almost no impact.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All this talk of people being able to eat some potatoes without getting a horrible spike has made me realise I've never tested myself with potatoes. I just assumed I'd need to rule them out because of their reputation. I'm going to give them a go.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure I agree. Low carb is a reduction in total carbs - often stated as less than 100 a day. You can allow a small amount of potato and keep in the 100g of carb a day quite easily. Of course that means a whole heap of other compromises so you might choose not to.

Absolutely. And with some of the low-carb breads around, at less than 4g per slice (admittedly small slices!) you can even incorporate bread into a 'keto' diet if you desperately miss it.

I think 'bread' and 'keto' are a clash of ideas, but still, 'keto' has a technical definition, and you can easily be in ketosis even if you happen to enjoy a slice of toast with your eggs in the morning.

Reactions: lucylocket61
D

Deleted member 308541

All this talk of people being able to eat some potatoes without getting a horrible spike has made me realise I've never tested myself with potatoes. I just assumed I'd need to rule them out because of their reputation. I'm going to give them a go.
I have not tried mash pototoes, I do not think a pile on my plate the size of the mashed spuds like it was in Close Encounters of The Third Kind.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA3MS85NzEvaTAyL0Nsb3NlLUVuY291bnRlcnMtb2YtdGhlLVRoaXJkLUtpbmQuanBnPzE1MTExOTUxNDA=

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Myself, I just cannot tolerate bread (the last time I checked) so I dont bother but I found potato in moderation to have almost no impact.

A surprising number of people on here find exactly the same. Maybe spuds aren't the demons they are made out to be. Roasties, chips and new boiled are fine for me in small amounts. Mashed, jackets and stewed not so good although I haven't tried these for a long time.

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I consider myself a low carber, I don't eat bread, rice, potatoes or pasta, I might have a couple of sweet roasted potatoes if I could a roast dinner, but all my meals are made up with lots of protein, veggies/salad and full fat dressing (mayo etc.) I find that I don't even miss the refined carbs, the only bread I will have is a protein roll from Lidl but not even once a week, I have a stash in the freezer and might have one cheese melted as a lunch/supper (like cheese on toast) now and again.