What supplements and vitamins do you take?

lefeilouss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Was wondering when on LCHF diet I seem to think that there may be some nutrients and vitamins from fruits which we avoid eating

Are there supplements that you take on LCHF? Or just vegetables we eat is sufficient?

Any thoughts on this?

TIA

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There are no nutrients, vitamins or minerals in fruit that can't be had from veggies. Not one.

S

Sean01

Hi

Was wondering when on LCHF diet I seem to think that there may be some nutrients and vitamins from fruits which we avoid eating

Are there supplements that you take on LCHF? Or just vegetables we eat is sufficient?

Any thoughts on this?

TIA
Good morning - ex body builder - you have no idea how much money I wasted on supplements. I now have a more level had on my shoulders. I still train but for strong man - much more fun ( I don't have a rod stuck up my back like many body builders but as a T2 I have to be careful about what I eat to make sure I get the micronutrients I need. (I'm also a graduate biologist - I don't know everything, but I do know a fair amount: Everything is eaten for a purpose:

Fruit has always been lauded as the 'only' source of vit c. Try spinach, red peppers, chillis, tomatoes. I eat a huge amount of green vegetables - spinach, broccoli, courgettes etc.

I don't take supplements and I'm training hard 5-6 days a week, doing cardio and lifting some reasonably heavy weights and I'm still growing. I have no vitamin or mineral deficiencies, just a fridge stuffed with the right foods.

Good luck

Sean T2 Oct 15. Met, exercise (loads) and food - predominantly eggs, spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes - and no sign of a runny nose - so it must be working;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While I agree with everyone above when they say that vegetables may provide all the nutrients that fruit does, but I would add the comment that if people are going to depend on veg for large sections of their nutrition, then they need to have variety, plenty of it, and bear in mind that overcooking some veg will destroy some nutrients.

No one is going to get adequate nutrition on teensy portions of just two or three types of their favoured veg, and refusing the rest of the plant kingdom. :)

It needs to be a fab range of salad, raw veg, cooked veg, different colours, skin on (if the nutrition is in/under the skin), cooked appropriately (not boiled to death) etc. etc. Fresh, and not left decaying in the chiller drawer, or gently wizening in a bowl on the counter. :D

Reactions: Sean01

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning - ex body builder - you have no idea how much money I wasted on supplements. I now have a more level had on my shoulders. I still train but for strong man - much more fun ( I don't have a rod stuck up my back like many body builders but as a T2 I have to be careful about what I eat to make sure I get the micronutrients I need. (I'm also a graduate biologist - I don't know everything, but I do know a fair amount: Everything is eaten for a purpose:

Fruit has always been lauded as the 'only' source of vit c. Try spinach, red peppers, chillis, tomatoes. I eat a huge amount of green vegetables - spinach, broccoli, courgettes etc.

I don't take supplements and I'm training hard 5-6 days a week, doing cardio and lifting some reasonably heavy weights and I'm still growing. I have no vitamin or mineral deficiencies, just a fridge stuffed with the right foods.

Good luck

Sean T2 Oct 15. Met, exercise (loads) and food - predominantly eggs, spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes - and no sign of a runny nose - so it must be working;)

Which carbohydrates do you eat and how many grams per day?

S

Sean01

Which carbohydrates do you eat and how many grams per day?

here is my current diet:
veg: spinach, lots of spinach, broccoli, leeks, tomatoes, garlic, olives, mushrooms
Fruit: 2 bananas a day (for my heart) 4 lemons a day for my kidneys
Protein: 12-20 eggs a day, fish, chicken, beef, bacon (but the staple is eggs)
Fats: olives, avocados, olive oil
Protein powder with a splash of milk and yoghurt.

On leg day: black pudding - food of the gods and the most amazing thing to eat before a leg work out!

I don't count calories. I definitely don't weigh grams of carbs.
I do measure my blood sugar 6-7 times a day including before and after each work out.

I'm 53, 5ft 8 and 120 kilos (weighed today). I deadlift 400lbs and leg press 1,000 lbs.and my training is based on lifting as much as possible every time. I actually aim to get stronger every single work out.

What I am trying to say is that what I eat, works for me and what I have to do.

Sean

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that if you take vitamin D, as it is fat soluble, you need to take it with a meal that contains a little fat, or ideally use capsules that have the vitamin D mixed with olive oil. The tablets often don't get absorbed unless taken with fat.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
here is my current diet:
veg: spinach, lots of spinach, broccoli, leeks, tomatoes, garlic, olives, mushrooms
Fruit: 2 bananas a day (for my heart) 4 lemons a day for my kidneys
Protein: 12-20 eggs a day, fish, chicken, beef, bacon (but the staple is eggs)
Fats: olives, avocados, olive oil
Protein powder with a splash of milk and yoghurt.

On leg day: black pudding - food of the gods and the most amazing thing to eat before a leg work out!

I don't count calories. I definitely don't weigh grams of carbs.
I do measure my blood sugar 6-7 times a day including before and after each work out.

I'm 53, 5ft 8 and 120 kilos (weighed today). I deadlift 400lbs and leg press 1,000 lbs.and my training is based on lifting as much as possible every time. I actually aim to get stronger every single work out.

What I am trying to say is that what I eat, works for me and what I have to do.

Sean

Unfortunately bananas spikes my blood.

You're absolutely correct. What works for you doesn't necessarily works for me or another person.

S

Sean01

Unfortunately bananas spikes my blood.

You're absolutely correct. What works for you doesn't necessarily works for me or another person.
We are all incredibly different whilst being more or less 99% the same. (Also a graduate biologist)