Dr advising against Keto Diet

superdave220

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Probably more an ideological schism than a war and there are some ketogenic WFPB eaters but I think it is quite a hard road to trek down. The problem has mainly been a few main US based Doctors who have decided that WFPB eating is the way to go and cherry pick studies (and on occasion just blatantly lie) to support their theories.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm from the US by the way. Are most people on this forum from UK? I'm realizing the A1c numbers here are different from the US.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the clarification. I'm from the US by the way. Are most people on this forum from UK? I'm realizing the A1c numbers here are different from the US.
There's a mix from all over the world but the majority are UK based I would say. Here the HbA1c is usually represented as mmol/m whereas I believe yours is a percentage? Some UK doctors still use the % model as well just to make it easy!
Our blood sugar levels are mmol/l whereas yours are of course mg/dl (conversion factor of 18). The US Doc's to watch to for are Greger, McDonald, Fuhrman and Barnard they are often in programs like What the Health and IThrive.

superdave220

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's a mix from all over the world but the majority are UK based I would say. Here the HbA1c is usually represented as mmol/m whereas I believe yours is a percentage? Some UK doctors still use the % model as well just to make it easy!
Our blood sugar levels are mmol/l whereas yours are of course mg/dl (conversion factor of 18). The US Doc's to watch to for are Greger, McDonald, Fuhrman and Barnard they are often in programs like What the Health and IThrive.

Thanks. I guess the numbers in OP didn't make sense to a lot of folks. Sorry everyone! lol

I've listened to Barnard but not the rest. Is there a doctor or author that you follow for your own Keto Diet or do you just follow your own plan? I've seen some clinical trials for Type 2 Keto programs but they are charge a fee. I'm wondering if I can get same results following a general keto plan myself.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My latest favourite meme on this topic:

DbcBLIGU8AA6Nya.jpg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I guess the numbers in OP didn't make sense to a lot of folks. Sorry everyone! lol

I've listened to Barnard but not the rest. Is there a doctor or author that you follow for your own Keto Diet or do you just follow your own plan? I've seen some clinical trials for Type 2 Keto programs but they are charge a fee. I'm wondering if I can get same results following a general keto plan myself.
My path to keto started with Dr Jason Fung (loads of videos on you tube) there’s also a lot of keto info on www.dietdoctor.com as well as www.ketogenicforums.com which is an offshoot of the 2 keto dudes podcasts (also well worth a listen).

Reactions: superdave220

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Canada uses % for hba1c and mmol for blood sugar levels.

Last edited:

Biggles2

I've seen some clinical trials for Type 2 Keto programs but they are charge a fee. I'm wondering if I can get same results following a general keto plan myself.

Keto is absolutely doable outside of a formal program. Try dietdoctor.com for some great recipes.

Do you use a blood glucose meter to self-test? Also known as 'eating to the meter'. Many of us just ended up eating keto by default as a result of self-testing: nothing like real-time data to understand and eliminate the foods that cause spikes.

Also, anything by Dr. Jason Fung is well worth a read. Here is a link to one of his blogs from November 2017 to get you started:
https://idmprogram.com/therapeutic-nutrition-paradigm-21st-century-medicine/

I don't know where you are in the US but you might be interested in the Ketofest 2018 in New London, CT:
http://www.thefatemperor.com/blog/2018/2/27/ketofest-2018-launched-today-get-in-there-

superdave220

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keto is absolutely doable outside of a formal program. Try dietdoctor.com for some great recipes.

Do you use a blood glucose meter to self-test? Also known as 'eating to the meter'. Many of us just ended up eating keto by default as a result of self-testing: nothing like real-time data to understand and eliminate the foods that cause spikes.

Also, anything by Dr. Jason Fung is well worth a read. Here is a link to one of his blogs from November 2017 to get you started:
https://idmprogram.com/therapeutic-nutrition-paradigm-21st-century-medicine/

I don't know where you are in the US but you might be interested in the Ketofest 2018 in New London, CT:
http://www.thefatemperor.com/blog/2018/2/27/ketofest-2018-launched-today-get-in-there-

I do use a blood glucose meter to self-test. I didn't test very frequently before but now I'm testing 3-6 times a day. Do you test for ketones as well? I'm on the fence about whether I should get a ketone meter. Are there signs to look out for when you get knocked out of ketosis? Also is it hard to get back into ketosis once you've been knocked out?

I'm looking at the Diet Doctor site now. It looks like a great resource! Big thanks to you and bulkbiker for the recommendation!

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone! This forum is awesome! I'm realizing I need a community to help manage this disease. Please keep the comments, thoughts, and words of encouragement coming!

Interesting comment about body fat (not ingested fat) triggering insulin.

Overall I think it's pretty ironic that my doctor was pressuring me into going on insulin a month ago, and now he's warning me against LCHF because he thinks it will increase my insulin levels.
Have a watch of this TED talk if you haven't seen it before. Well explained and easy to understand

superdave220

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quick update. I got a second opinion from a Dr. who is a CDE (certified diabetes educator) and spoke with a RD (registered dietician) who affirmed everything I'm doing with Keto. I'm off of Glipizide for the time being, my sugars are still normal, and I'm feeling great!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick update. I got a second opinion from a Dr. who is a CDE (certified diabetes educator) and spoke with a RD (registered dietician) who affirmed everything I'm doing with Keto. I'm off of Glipizide for the time being, my sugars are still normal, and I'm feeling great!
Wow so there are some sensible voices out there.. well done you for finding them...

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Probably more an ideological schism than a war and there are some ketogenic WFPB eaters but I think it is quite a hard road to trek down. The problem has mainly been a few main US based Doctors who have decided that WFPB eating is the way to go and cherry pick studies (and on occasion just blatantly lie) to support their theories.
What the WFPB folks have in common is they promote whole foods and no sugar. A lot of the carb on that diet is non starchy carbs too. I think that diet could work better than the Standard American Diet but as you say WFPB/veganism its an ideological war against animal fat and there seems to be little evidence that its the (animal) fat that is causing our modern health problems. Interestingly these WFPB docs are just as much against Big Pharma and Big Food as many on this forum might be.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What the WFPB folks have in common is they promote whole foods and no sugar. A lot of the carb on that diet is non starchy carbs too. I think that diet could work better than the Standard American Diet but as you say WFPB/veganism its an ideological war against animal fat and there seems to be little evidence that its the (animal) fat that is causing our modern health problems. Interestingly these WFPB docs are just as much against Big Pharma and Big Food as many on this forum might be.
True there are lots of similarities and there does seem to be evidence that an ultra low fat diet may work as well as an ultra low carb one... but... and for me its a big but.. I just wouldn't stick to it because I love meat too much.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m part of a couple of vegan keto groups in Facebook, mostly to get non meat ideas (I do eat a little fish bit no cow’s milk) - it can be done but needs a lot more planning than the omnivore variety.