Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Good article, thanks for posting. I especially liked the stats on TOFIs.

Reactions: zand and dbr10

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Given that statins can give the illusion of CVD protection, predispose the development of type 2 diabetes in up to 1 in 50 patients taking these drugs, and cause reversible side effects in up to 29% of users, stopping statins may paradoxically ‘save more lives’ and improve quality of life in those taking them[15].

So glad I took them for so many years.....

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I see many people aged over 60 and taking statins who truly believe that their 'high cholesterol' is no longer a problem because they are taking statins. I hope that doctors will start to discuss the risks and benefits more clearly in the future.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see many people aged over 60 and taking statins who truly believe that their 'high cholesterol' is no longer a problem because they are taking statins. I hope that doctors will start to discuss the risks and benefits more clearly in the future.
Sad thing is their "high cholesterol" was probably never a problem in the first place...

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good article, easy to understand. Strengthens my resolve to avoid statins.

Reactions: dbr10

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Guzzler What are TOFIs?
Question not addressed to me but here is an answer any way

TOFI (thin-outside-fat-inside) is used to describe lean individuals with a disproportionate amount of fat (adipose tissue) stored in their abdomen.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Question not addressed to me but here is an answer any way

TOFI (thin-outside-fat-inside) is used to describe lean individuals with a disproportionate amount of fat (adipose tissue) stored in their abdomen.

Slight difference, I think, the TOFIs have their fats stored mostly around the organs.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I take your point, but most of the organs in question are situated where?

The important ones for us are the heart, liver and pancreas. The kidneys do require a little extra padding as they are not afforded much protection from the ribs. The abdominal organs and of course the gut are just not places in TOFIs where much adipose tissue is stored so belly fat or beer belly is something I have never had even after having three children. Hopefully, the little weight that I have lost will be from around the organs and possibly the adipose tissue in the muscles, without testing I shall never know.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The abdomen contains all the digestive organs, including the stomach, small and large intestines, pancreas, liver, and gallbladder. These organs are held together loosely by connecting tissues (mesentery) that allow them to expand and to slide against each other. The abdomen also contains the kidneys and spleen

The pancreas is a glandular organ in the digestive system and endocrine system of vertebrates. In humans, it is located in the abdominal cavity behind the stomach. It is an endocrine gland producing several important hormones, including insulin, glucagon, somatostatin, and pancreatic polypeptide

And yes I know you can also have fat around the heart as well

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Y
The abdomen contains all the digestive organs, including the stomach, small and large intestines, pancreas, liver, and gallbladder. These organs are held together loosely by connecting tissues (mesentery) that allow them to expand and to slide against each other. The abdomen also contains the kidneys and spleen

The pancreas is a glandular organ in the digestive system and endocrine system of vertebrates. In humans, it is located in the abdominal cavity behind the stomach. It is an endocrine gland producing several important hormones, including insulin, glucagon, somatostatin, and pancreatic polypeptide

Yes, I am aware.