Hospital

Suedaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I was taken ill at work yesterday i was ok then all of a sudden my eyes wouldnt focus and felt like they was on springs and was hot and felt like my insides was shaking and that i was going to pass out i was so scared that i had to call my manager to help me and had 2 glucose tablets and 2 glasses of dilute pop and started to feel a bit better then 5 mins later it felt like a truck had hit me so asked to be moved as everyone was looking at me even tho i couldnt lift my head and open my eyes cos it made the dizzyness worse and when i tried to walk my legs went from under me so had to be wheeled out so they sent for paramedic who tested my sugars andsaid they was ok but not happy as i was still feeling dizzy and shaky so sent for ambulance to take me to hospital at this time all i wanted to do was sleep and at the hospital they tested my heart and bloods and they came back showing white blood cell was high and had a urine test and said that it showed no sugar in my kidney so they are ok but said could be infection some where and will send to be cultured and to rest and eat regular and fliud so when i got home all i wanted was to sleep and today i still feel shaky and headache and tested my blood which was 8.9 i do feel so scared now as dont know what happened to me

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im on Metformin 500mg twice a day

what a scare it is for you, send you a hug, I think they can be right about an infection, and this would also explain why you have such high blood glucose today, your level of blood glucose in not dangerous for a couple of days, and it is "normal" to have a higher blood glucose when being ill... blood glucose levels of aound 18mmol is so high that one should contact a GP... but yours is not that high, keep measuring you number, hope they find out what is making you that ill... for how long have you been on metformin ?
hope you´ll get well fast dear

Reactions: therower

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Suedaisy . Thanks, as a T1 I wouldn't like to give an explanation for your episode.
But I doubt the metformin would be the reason for your symptoms that sound very much like low blood sugar levels.
It's odd that you felt slightly better after some glucose/ sugar, that would suggest that your blood sugar levels could have been low.
Hopefully more knowledgeable T2's on similar medication will be along soon to offer more help.
Hope you are feeling better now.

Suedaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what a scare it is for you, send you a hug, I think they can be right about an infection, and this would also explain why you have such high blood glucose today, your level of blood glucose in not dangerous for a couple of days, and it is "normal" to have a higher blood glucose when being ill... blood glucose levels of aound 18mmol is so high that one should contact a GP... but yours is not that high, keep measuring you number, hope they find out what is making you that ill... for how long have you been on metformin ?
hope you´ll get well fast dear

i was diagnosed Type 2 diabetes on 16th march but wasnt told that my bloods shown from jan 2016 that i was diabetic so been on metformin since 16th march

Suedaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i do also have high colectrol as my liver is producing bad colestrol so on statins which im getting down now

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i do also have high colectrol as my liver is producing bad colestrol so on statins which im getting down now

well keep an eye on the statins for your cholesterol, some people can get very ill form the statins... maybe it is not the statins, but if no other reason to your ill being is found I would keep and eye on the statins, quite some people also get ill from metformin, but most like stomack problems and having a acute toilet problem ... I myself had to pee up to 4 times in the night when I took metformin late in the day...

Suedaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Suedaisy . Thanks, as a T1 I wouldn't like to give an explanation for your episode.
But I doubt the metformin would be the reason for your symptoms that sound very much like low blood sugar levels.
It's odd that you felt slightly better after some glucose/ sugar, that would suggest that your blood sugar levels could have been low.
Hopefully more knowledgeable T2's on similar medication will be along soon to offer more help.
Hope you are feeling better now.

Thankyou it has scared me so much as i was perfectly ok one second and then felt ill my manager was saying not to link everything to diabetes as coud be other things which is true but i really dont understand diabetes at all and struggle with it xx

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i was diagnosed Type 2 diabetes on 16th march but wasnt told that my bloods shown from jan 2016 that i was diabetic so been on metformin since 16th march
It's reassuring to know that they are on top of things

Suedaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well keep an eye on the statins for your cholesterol, some people can get very ill form the statins... maybe it is not the statins, but if no other reason to your ill being is found I would keep and eye on the statins, quite some people also get ill from metformin, but most like stomack problems and having a acute toilet problem ... I myself had to pee up to 4 times in the night when I took metformin late in the day...

i have stomach pains with metformin but also get up in night to pee about 3 times as i get up at 6am for work x i hate being ill and scared of diabetes

Suedaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's reassuring to know that they are on top of things

im not happy with them to tell truth as now im questioning everything they say the onley person i ca trust is the diabetic nurse x

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i have stomach pains with metformin but also get up in night to pee about 3 times as i get up at 6am for work x i hate being ill and scared of diabetes

I ended up taking the whole dose of metformin in the mornings then my sleep got much less interrupted... you will learn to cope if you stay in this forum and go lower in carbs, please don't be too scared of diabetes and say to your self it is okay with a few days of high blood glucose when being ill.. most people have higher blood glucose when being ill, maybe nature has made it so that we can stay higher even when not having the ability to go out finding food...

Reactions: dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have tended not to have the problems with Metformin and I do wonder if LC helps.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
im not happy with them to tell truth as now im questioning everything they say the onley person i ca trust is the diabetic nurse x
Most of us have been there. I wouldn't be too sure about the nurse either if she's pushing the stuff yourself with carbs and then with medication to deal with the carbs line. Hopefully she will be more open to new ideas and the help you really need.

Suedaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I ended up taking the whole dose of metformin in the mornings then my sleep got much less interrupted... you will learn to cope if you stay in this forum and go lower in carbs, please don't be too scared of diabetes and say to your self it is okay with a few days of high blood glucose when being ill.. most people have higher blood glucose when being ill, maybe nature has made it so that we can stay higher even when not having the ability to go out finding food...

Thankyou this forum is the best as i dont feel alone anymore but dont like to ask too many questions as feel silly but what happened yesterday really scared me my diabetic nurse has just called me back and said that the espisode could have been a Hyperglycemia or Hypoglycemia attack due to an infection and to keep testing now even tho ive not got a lot of sharps and strips as doc wouldnt give me one she had to give me a monitor in secret with only a few of the things so when i get paid next week i wil order them x

Suedaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
is it ok to put mu Urine test results on here and can someone tell me about the results

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Suedaisy, I think that it is allowed for you to put your results on here and we can advise what they mean but cannot make firm diagnosis as we are not doctors, (admin or mods please correct me if I am wrong)