Hospital

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
i do also have high colectrol as my liver is producing bad colestrol so on statins which im getting down now
I used to suffer from dizzy spells when on statins which was why I refused to take them anymore - particularly as I drive 1hr each way to work. Also pushed my hba1c up from 48 to 54.

Suedaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doctor's identity removed by moderator.

upload_2018-4-28_12-58-22.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you have got a virus or a bladder infection. You should really do what the abnormal test result says and see your doctor

It says her results indicate microalbuminuria, which is a small leak of protein from the kidney into the urine. Yes, she needs to see a doctor.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your urine albumin is 32.4. It should really be under 30. So it's a tiny bit in excess of the reference range. You should ask for a referral to a kidney clinic to have investigations into the health if your kidneys, like I say it's only a tiny bit in excess of the reference range so a 24hr urine collection might rule out any problems. But you should be seen by the renal team to check, and get advice on managing (there are some foods to avoid if you've got kidney problems).

Suedaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well you are not going to believe this but i did go to see doc and also diabetic nurse about the results and the docs first said Normal and nothing to worry about then when i said what the receptionist said that i had to see him as some bits incorrect he then said Borderline but not what it was and sent me away so nxt day i went to see the nurse and she said also not to worry as kidney are normal however 2 days later i collapsed at work and taken to hospital with the above symtoms i only checked the results last night as someone on forum recommended me to have results online x

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The high white cell count would indicate an infection being fought somewhere, The urine check did not show any elevated leucocyte count, so it is not in the kidneys.bladder. etc route,

I don't want to worry you but I had a similar episode and went to A&E, It was eventually shown that I had a staph infection in the blood, and this led to my heart attack and a prolonged sojurn in Intensive Care on a strong antibiotic. If you feel wobbly again, call the paramedics asap since delaying it is unwise. It takes a couple of days for the lab to confirm an infection of this type so is not quick. The A&E in my case suspected an infection, and I was placed in isolation in the actual path lab while they did their tests. I am fine now.

I hope your problem is simpler than mine, and that it clears up quickly - there are plenty other bugs in the sea as my mum used to tell me. It does not sound like a diabetes issue especially if only med is Metformin. The symptoms you describe are not normally associated with Metformin and are not DKA either,

The other possibility could be that the white cell count being high is skewing the bgl meter result by making the blood hematocrit ratio out of range that the meter can cope with, and that it is misreading high. Would still be an infection though to do that and it would be quite rare indeed to give false error so great if it had really been a hypo event,

However, the lack of sugar showing in the urine would indicate a low bgl reading, so it could have been a hypo but that again would be a rare event for a Metformin and diet only regime.

So it is a case of wait and see the lab results, unless you go wobbly again.

Reactions: dbr10

Suedaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The high white cell count would indicate an infection being fought somewhere, The urine check did not show any elevated leucocyte count, so it is not in the kidneys.bladder. etc route,

I don't want to worry you but I had a similar episode and went to A&E, It was eventually shown that I had a staph infection in the blood, and this led to my heart attack and a prolonged sojurn in Intensive Care on a strong antibiotic. If you feel wobbly again, call the paramedics asap since delaying it is unwise. It takes a couple of days for the lab to confirm an infection of this type so is not quick. The A&E in my case suspected an infection, and I was placed in isolation in the actual path lab while they did their tests. I am fine now.

I hope your problem is simpler than mine, and that it clears up quickly - there are plenty other bugs in the sea as my mum used to tell me. It does not sound like a diabetes issue especially if only med is Metformin. The symptoms you describe are not normally associated with Metformin and are not DKA either,

The other possibility could be that the white cell count being high is skewing the bgl meter result by making the blood hematocrit ratio out of range that the meter can cope with, and that it is misreading high. Would still be an infection though to do that and it would be quite rare indeed to give false error so great if it had really been a hypo event,

However, the lack of sugar showing in the urine would indicate a low bgl reading, so it could have been a hypo but that again would be a rare event for a Metformin and diet only regime.

So it is a case of wait and see the lab results, unless you go wobbly again.

Thankyou for your reply and so glat you are ok now i really am getting so fed up now i just want it all to be sorted as i am getting told so many different things by my doc and nurse and just want someone to say that i am ok and not be left in Limbo im so glad i found this forum as i was just given some leaflets and meds and sent away but i do have my appointment for my eyes testing nxt mth x

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou for your reply and so glat you are ok now i really am getting so fed up now i just want it all to be sorted as i am getting told so many different things by my doc and nurse and just want someone to say that i am ok and not be left in Limbo im so glad i found this forum as i was just given some leaflets and meds and sent away but i do have my appointment for my eyes testing nxt mth x
Hope it gets sorted soon. Since you are home now, it is probably nothing major like wot I had, and I take it you are not running a fever. Keep us updated please.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope it gets sorted soon. Since you are home now, it is probably nothing major like wot I had, and I take it you are not running a fever. Keep us updated please.
Just to add. My annual checkup was last week, and my urine saple showed microalbuminurea as over 270, and my creatinine ratio was 77. Did a restest a few days later, and result came back completely clear, so nothing major. The original sample was equivalent to someone on terminal end stage kidney failure, but I had no symptoms. Again I had no infection showing, but my white cell count was raised, but then it usually is so nothing untoward there either. Annual review just confirmed the clear result, and we moved on to other things.

Note this is the second time I have had to purchase a sample bottle from Boots, and the second sample that has had a significant problem. The first one I sent off last year congealed in the bottle, and the dipsticks registered off the scale. The new sample bottles they sell are plastic tuns, and do not seem to be very sterile. I will complain in light of this second event.

Reactions: dbr10

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No. not any more. We have to supply our own consumables now.
WOW according to the NHS website, you should be given a sterile container each time. i mean, how do you know the one you buy is sterile? I suppose you have to buy a fresh one each time. How much are they? Even when I was at Telford hospital England) we were given sample tubes and sterile dressings and stuff.

Reactions: Peadair O Brionn

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Note this is the second time I have had to purchase a sample bottle from Boots,

I am always given one at each review, ready to use the next time. They are also kept on reception, so you can pop in and ask for one if necessary. There are different sorts with different coloured lids depending whether the test is being done at the surgery or sent off to the lab.