DIane Course

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone attended this course. I was advised to consider attending this today at a clinic appointment

Thanks

cmhdiabetes

I would say if you have the time, it doesn't last for hours/its in a convenient location go along and give it a try...it never hurts to get as much information as you can...and even if you know MOST of what you are being told there might be an interesting/relevant nugget somewhere. The other thing is that these courses give u "brownie points" with your GP/Diabetic Nurse as they feeling you are being proactive and playing the game. I haven't gone because of my mobility problems/fatigue and "they" often comment on the fact that I haven't attended.

knoxy55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anything to do with birds or feathers, whether to look at or eat.
Hi over here in NI I have attended a DESMOND course which was given by 2 Diabetic Nurses and was very informative. It lasted from around 10am to 3.30pm and you took your own lunch but tea, coffee and suitable biscuits were provided.. I have never heard of DIane, if you do go please post what the course covered etc. Thanks H

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All

I have been told this course is only for those type 1. There is nothing available locally for those with type 2

Reactions: dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@h884

Apparently, the DIANE course stands for "Diabetes Insulin Adjustment for Normal Eating" and is aimed at T1s and also presumably T2s that take insulin.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@h884

Apparently, the DIANE course stands for "Diabetes Insulin Adjustment for Normal Eating" and is aimed at T1s and also presumably T2s that take insulin.
A google of DIANE diabetes brings up Diane Abbott, of course, but no courses.
I believe that @GrantGam has also been on a Diane course for T1D, but it may be local to Scotland.

There is also a DIANA course for T1D run by Tower Hamlets.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think DIANE is the Diabetes Insulin Adjustment for Normal Eating course for type 1 diabetics. Are you on insulin @h884 ? If not, most of what's covered on the course will be irrelevant to you. If your diabetic clinic has advised you to consider attending the course then they obviously think it will be useful for you & they are the ones who decide who go on these courses so speak to the clinic again. But do be aware that a type 1 course is going to be geared to type 1 people who don't have insulin resistance, so the default total daily doses on the course or the default insulin to carb ratios might not translate to someone with type 2 who is insulin resistant.

The DAFNE course is covered online - www.bertieonline.org.uk

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for that. I am on insulin both basal and bolus. I have been told I cannot go on the course. I appreciate the difference between T1 and T2 and that som of the course would be less relevant.

It is very disappointing that there is nothing available for those with T2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that. I am on insulin both basal and bolus. I have been told I cannot go on the course. I appreciate the difference between T1 and T2 and that som of the course would be less relevant.

It is very disappointing that there is nothing available for those with T2

Don't be too disappointed about not having a course. You may find yourself bombarded with the usual NHS
dietary advice that is no good for T2s. You can learn a lot more by sticking with this forum and reading not just all the threads, but also the main website, which has a wealth of information. You can also ask as many questions as you like and receive helpful, useful advice from fellow diabetics.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks. I have had no advice NHS apart from a brief meeting with a dietitian who said my diet was fine. Will have a look at infor available on this site

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I have had no advice NHS apart from a brief meeting with a dietitian who said my diet was fine. Will have a look at infor available on this site

Are you happy with your blood sugar levels before and after eating? What sort of levels do you see?

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My sugar levels are very variable as I am steroids. They can be high after meals and bedtime. I am told this will resolve when I eventually stop the steroids. Here's hoping that is the case

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say if you have the time, it doesn't last for hours/its in a convenient location go along and give it a try...it never hurts to get as much information as you can...and even if you know MOST of what you are being told there might be an interesting/relevant nugget somewhere. The other thing is that these courses give u "brownie points" with your GP/Diabetic Nurse as they feeling you are being proactive and playing the game. I haven't gone because of my mobility problems/fatigue and "they" often comment on the fact that I haven't attended.
My Doctor recommended me 4 it and i got a letter about it but i opted out i'm not able to go bcos i can't mix with ppl and i get advice on here so if anyone does go i'd be grateful if u can pass the knowledge on please! I got my first Eye screening and Feet Appointments in May i already had an Ecg.I was diagnosed 27th of March this year