CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, snobby behaviour
Hello,

Can I please have some advice/thoughts of having the contraceptive implant and its impact on diabetes? I’m finding it difficult to get much info on this. I have two children and am not having anymore so wanted something more long term where I don’t need to worry about taking a pill every day.

TIA

Reactions: sninge

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had a contraceptive implant now for about 7-8 years (give or take) and I don't think it made any difference to my control (which has always been a bit rollercoaster-y I must admit but the implant didn't change that)

Reactions: CarlyB

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I sent my husband to the vets to overcome the daily pill issue (3rd child was not planned!). But if that's not an option you should consider how you react to any hormonal birth control you are taking now? As I understand it the implant releases progesterone and stops implantation. Any hormonal contraception risks side effects but I suppose having an even dose would stop some of the blood sugar rises that come with having a natural cycle (blood sugar rising just before a period or carb cravings). Personally I feel as if I have enough hormone complications without interfering with my natural cycle in this way however its such a personal decision and if having an accidental pregnancy would be a disaster then this seems to be a really reliable way of preventing that!

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can’t comment on the implant, but I take the progesterone only pill, which is what the implant basically is, and I don’t think it’s made any difference. If anything, it’s a slightly less wild ride than before .

The only other thing I would consider is if you use a libre/Dexcom, is it likely to interfere with where you place that?

I would be interested to hear how you get on, as I have also considered the implant.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I cant offer any advice on the implant but have you considered the contraceptive injection? That's what I'm on x

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I cant offer any advice on the implant but have you considered the contraceptive injection? That's what I'm on x

I think the injection works in the same way as the implant, it releases progesterone to stop you ovulating. So if the injection doesnt have much impact on your control that might be good news for the OP considering the implant.

Reactions: kaylz91 and CarlyB

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, snobby behaviour

Yes I have considered it but what puts me off is having to go to the doctors every 3 months to get it topped up. Difficult with an 8 week old and a 2 year old. How do you find it?

Reactions: kaylz91

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I have considered it but what puts me off is having to go to the doctors every 3 months to get it topped up. Difficult with an 8 week old and a 2 year old. How do you find it?
Yes it can be a pain going every 3 months but if like @catapillar says and it works in the same way maybe you could try an injection first, see your reaction to it, then decide either to continue with the injection or opt for the implant, also it doesn't have to be bang on 3 months, there is a 7 day time frame either way, I get on fine with it, although I was on it before I was diagnosed, there is no differing in my readings throughout the period between injections etc xx

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I have the implant. No extra problems with control.

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use cerazette which mimics the injection only in pill form. Ive had 1 period in 5 years and no change in my bgs!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I had two three year implants before I went to the vet to get done. They were great, one less thing to have to worry about (babies) and had no effect on my BG :)