Feeling so overwhelmed

stephenlopez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @DooWop

I know how disheartening diabetes diagnosis is. I was diagnosed nearly two months ago and I was so disheartened because I though that I won't ever be able to live a healthy life. I joined this community because I had a journey scheduled and I needed some help because I didn't wanted to fall sick during my travel. This community helped me more than I ever imagined.

But don't you worry because the things will be fine soon. I know maintaining your blood sugar levels might be difficult for you right now but you once get into a diet plan, it won't be that difficult. I guess this information will be useful for you to maintain your blood sugar levels: https://zovon.com/home-remedies/general-health/diabetes-home-remedies/

You can also ask your dietitian about diet, as many questions you want to reconfirm the information given in the blog. It was helpful for me though. But recently I made things even better and started with a keto diet and everything is quite fine now and my last HbA1c was 50 which is very close to 48.

Don't lose hope, We are always here for you! Also, keep learning about the condition :p

Reactions: DooWop

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, and welcome! I'm a T2, on a keto diet now to lose more weight, but I was on LCHF for a year and a half before taking it even further. Doc put me on statins as total cholesterol was 6-something, but the side-effects for me were horrible. Luckily, LCHF helped not only put my bloodglucose back in the non-diabetic range, it also lowered my cholesterol. Feels counterintuitive, doesn't it? Eat more fat to lower cholesterol? (While I must say, yours seems okay to me!) Most of the cholesterol we have a problem with is produced by our own bodies, it's not entering our bloodstrean by mouth. I was off statins and gliclazide three months after starting low carb. Give yourself some time to try it. I don't know what doctrines your dieticians there adhere to, but I figured my diet out before seeing the one the hospital provided. I was reluctant to see her because 10 years ago I saw her for my morbid obesity. And she'd told me to eat more carbs! And I mean a LOT of them! Now I'm diabetic. Thanks, lady! So make sure you do your own research. Listen to what your body and your meter tell you. And maybe check dietdoctor for recipies and advice. Diabetes is managable, with a lifestyle change, medication, or a combination of the two. You'll be okay.

Reactions: DooWop and dbr10

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@DooWop

Hello DooWop and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful and interesting. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hit the optimistic rating button for you because you have done all the right stuff and are on the way to success. But normally you would be testing 5 times a day, i.e. upon waking, before breakfast and 2 hours after breakfast, 2 hours after lunch and 2 hours after dinner.

I disagree. I cannot see any point in testing 2 hours after lunch and dinner unless there was also a before eating test. If someone is 10.5 after eating, it is necessary and essential to know if they were 5.5 or 9.5 before they ate. Otherwise, the 10.5 isn't telling them anything useful at all. It tells them they were too high, but does not tell them why.

DooWop

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, and welcome! I'm a T2, on a keto diet now to lose more weight, but I was on LCHF for a year and a half before taking it even further. Doc put me on statins as total cholesterol was 6-something, but the side-effects for me were horrible. Luckily, LCHF helped not only put my bloodglucose back in the non-diabetic range, it also lowered my cholesterol. Feels counterintuitive, doesn't it? Eat more fat to lower cholesterol? (While I must say, yours seems okay to me!) Most of the cholesterol we have a problem with is produced by our own bodies, it's not entering our bloodstrean by mouth. I was off statins and gliclazide three months after starting low carb. Give yourself some time to try it. I don't know what doctrines your dieticians there adhere to, but I figured my diet out before seeing the one the hospital provided. I was reluctant to see her because 10 years ago I saw her for my morbid obesity. And she'd told me to eat more carbs! And I mean a LOT of them! Now I'm diabetic. Thanks, lady! So make sure you do your own research. Listen to what your body and your meter tell you. And maybe check dietdoctor for recipies and advice. Diabetes is managable, with a lifestyle change, medication, or a combination of the two. You'll be okay.
Hi there JoKalsbeek
Thank you for the warm welcome! Everyone here is so kind.
I'm just back from a good walk on a lovely day - so that's something.
I really hope to do the keto diet (or at the very least the LCHF), and plan to read up much more before I see the dietitian next week. My main worry is what she might say as far as cholesterol is concerned. My total cholesterol is 7.87, the TC/HDL ratio is 4.8. So that does need to come down? I think I should put those stats into my profile box. I'm still figuring out the ins and out of the forum. I'll try it and see if it works, before I post my next thank you!
Diets do seem to vary a great deal from decade to decade, don't they? I can't imagine anyone saying go high carb now. Or maybe they still do?
Banting is big in South Africa - very low carb, but the Keto diet is becoming popular here too.
Yes, I will listen to my body - once it decides what messages to send. I'll do quite a few tests and get into the practice of reading and monitoring.
Thanks again! xx

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I disagree. I cannot see any point in testing 2 hours after lunch and dinner unless there was also a before eating test. If someone is 10.5 after eating, it is necessary and essential to know if they were 5.5 or 9.5 before they ate. Otherwise, the 10.5 isn't telling them anything useful at all. It tells them they were too high, but does not tell them why.

I guess it depends on physiology of the person and how long they've been observing the effects of different foods. If I have a low reading two hours after breakfast and lunch I too skip the before lunch and dinner readings because they don't change much. Now that I have a handle on managing BG I sometimes don't even bother testing after some meals if I already know from numerous tests historically what the effect is. Naturally, this only came about once BG had been under control for some time. At diagnosis it would have been a disaster.
Glenn

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess it depends on physiology of the person and how long they've been observing the effects of different foods. If I have a low reading two hours after breakfast and lunch I too skip the before lunch and dinner readings because they don't change much. Now that I have a handle on managing BG I sometimes don't even bother testing after some meals if I already know from numerous tests historically what the effect is. Naturally, this only came about once BG had been under control for some time. At diagnosis it would have been a disaster.
Glenn

Yes, I agree, but for those that do not yet have control, and the newly diagnosed, which this poster is, it is essential to test before and after to see how the body has reacted, and work out why.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@DooWop
Welcome from down under. One thing that nobody has mentioned but is equally as important. Are you overweight. If so, lose it. The impact is in line with low carbing. At diagnosis, I was 106kg and have lost 18kg now. controlling BG with my new body is just so much easier.

Your story is not dissimilar to mine. Diagnosed at about the same age and about the same levels. In my case, I took myself off to the doctor not knowing what was wrong. I felt OK but my glasses prescription kept on changing, I was peeing a lot and losing weight faster than I anticipated under the diet I was following. I just knew something wasn't right. It came as a shock and like yourself felt very exposed and overwhelmed.

I have also recently been given a statin but only for three months. I admit to complete neglect of fat types I was consuming while getting the carb intake right. Now that I'm on top of that bit I can address the LDL cholesterol. I suspect that you've been given a statin because apart from high total cholesterol your trigs are way high as well. That's not good. Anyway, hang in there. This is a long game and you will find that as you adjust your diet with controlled carb intake you will eventually be able to manage cholesterol composition as well.

So, get a meter that is not too costly to run and if overweight, lose it. There is a plethora of good information here about carb management. Good luck,
Glenn

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Yes, I agree, but for those that do not yet have control, and the newly diagnosed, which this poster is, it is essential to test before and after to see how the body has reacted, and work out why.
I agree wholeheartedly. Working blind at this early stage is not helpful.
Glenn

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Doing LFHC my doctor would not even let me have the results of cholesterol tests.
After 80 days of low carb my triglycerides were at 2 - non fasting test, and after 6 months they were 1.5, also non fasting.
I had forgotten that some people are super sensitive to cholesterol - but for most people the low fat is bad mantra is not going to work.
I did not even think about losing weight when eating low carb, I just tried to keep my after meal BG levels below 8 - I did not do morning or premeal tests after I got the first few 8's, as I wanted normal and to my mind that was not spiking after meals. I was a bit shocked when I found I was 40 lb down.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there JoKalsbeek
Thank you for the warm welcome! Everyone here is so kind.
I'm just back from a good walk on a lovely day - so that's something.
I really hope to do the keto diet (or at the very least the LCHF), and plan to read up much more before I see the dietitian next week. My main worry is what she might say as far as cholesterol is concerned. My total cholesterol is 7.87, the TC/HDL ratio is 4.8. So that does need to come down? I think I should put those stats into my profile box. I'm still figuring out the ins and out of the forum. I'll try it and see if it works, before I post my next thank you!
Diets do seem to vary a great deal from decade to decade, don't they? I can't imagine anyone saying go high carb now. Or maybe they still do?
Banting is big in South Africa - very low carb, but the Keto diet is becoming popular here too.
Yes, I will listen to my body - once it decides what messages to send. I'll do quite a few tests and get into the practice of reading and monitoring.
Thanks again! xx
Well, to be honest, by the time the dietician saw me I'd already lowered my HbA1c, cholesterol and weight, so she didn't quite know what to do with me. She did advise upping certain foods. (And yeah... They were high in glucose, fructose.... Carbs!). So she got merrily ignored, and knew she would be as I shook her hand and exited. ;) Basically, all they can do is advise you... If it doesn't feel right, if your meter disagrees with them, do what is best for you. Though loads of professionals are tuning into this, some just are stuck in the old ways, and look where that got us eh... Diabetes has become an epidemic. Your cholesterol could be lower, but as happend to me and many others, a change in diet (including healthy fats), can achieve exactly that. You've got options. :)

DooWop

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is only by haunting the forum that I get any sense of striving to overcome diabetes.
I just finished dinner which was white fish, cauliflower and coleslaw with a spoonful of peas as I did too many for my husband and now I have a mug of coffee and cream.
Once you settle into a routine of shopping and cooking it is a lot easier. I had two shopping lists which I used alternately for ages so I did not get bored with the same combinations of foods. Even now I rarely buy mushrooms and tomatoes in the same shop.
I can see myself becoming another haunter! I like the idea of two different shopping lists. xx

DooWop

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, those figures are higher than doctors like to see.
HDL is the good cholesterol and should be as high as possible. In the UK the standard for females is 1.2 to 3.5.
TRG (triglycerides) are the baddies and need to be as low as possible. Here the standard is 0 to 1.9 when fasting, 0 to 2.3 if not fasting.
LDL is a mix of goodies and baddies, but that all depends on how good the triglycerides are. If the trigs are low there are more goodies than baddies.

Hope this helps.
Thanks again Bluetit
2 months feels like a long time to wait to see if my cholesterol goes down, but I'm pretty determined that it will do so. I think I'm responding to all of this on adrenaline at the mo, sustaining the determination is going to be the challenge.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

DooWop

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doing LFHC my doctor would not even let me have the results of cholesterol tests.
After 80 days of low carb my triglycerides were at 2 - non fasting test, and after 6 months they were 1.5, also non fasting.
I had forgotten that some people are super sensitive to cholesterol - but for most people the low fat is bad mantra is not going to work.
I did not even think about losing weight when eating low carb, I just tried to keep my after meal BG levels below 8 - I did not do morning or premeal tests after I got the first few 8's, as I wanted normal and to my mind that was not spiking after meals. I was a bit shocked when I found I was 40 lb down.
Losing weight is, hopefully, going to be an added bonus to all of this. But like you say, working on levels is the most imperative. I have to sit down and work out shopping lists now. meals for a week, with many greens. We do eat a lot of veg, now we just have to eat more xx

DooWop

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, to be honest, by the time the dietician saw me I'd already lowered my HbA1c, cholesterol and weight, so she didn't quite know what to do with me. She did advise upping certain foods. (And yeah... They were high in glucose, fructose.... Carbs!). So she got merrily ignored, and knew she would be as I shook her hand and exited. ;) Basically, all they can do is advise you... If it doesn't feel right, if your meter disagrees with them, do what is best for you. Though loads of professionals are tuning into this, some just are stuck in the old ways, and look where that got us eh... Diabetes has become an epidemic. Your cholesterol could be lower, but as happend to me and many others, a change in diet (including healthy fats), can achieve exactly that. You've got options. :)
I see what you're saying, but it's going to take some time before I understand it well enough to make rational decisions. At the moment my mind is still feeling pretty scattered ... But yes, thanks to all of you here, the options open to me make it all seem a bit more hopeful. xx

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see what you're saying, but it's going to take some time before I understand it well enough to make rational decisions. At the moment my mind is still feeling pretty scattered ... But yes, thanks to all of you here, the options open to me make it all seem a bit more hopeful. xx
There are so many diets, (Scandinavian, Newcastle, Mediterranian, Intermittent Fasting, LCHF, keto, carnivore (0 carb)....) and such a variety of treatments, medicinal, herbal what have you... You don't have to decide overnight what is right for you. Take your time, read up on what does what and how... And if there are questions, ask them. Here, through google, your doctor, nurse, dietician etc... The odds are the answers will all be different, because what works for one, might not for another, but it does create options. You get to pick and choose what makes you feel better. When I was diagnosed I thought insulin was going to end up being the be all, end all of my life. I never even got a single injection. ;) I did read a whole lot... And am better for it. But when you're first diagnosed you usually go into a bit of shock; it is traumatic to most of us, and often it'll be hard to wrap your head around a single thought, let alone all this new information. So do give yourself some time to take it all in. It's a bit much right at the beginning. Maybe take notes? ;) You'll be okay. Really.

Reactions: Salvia and DooWop

DooWop

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @DooWop

I know how disheartening diabetes diagnosis is. I was diagnosed nearly two months ago and I was so disheartened because I though that I won't ever be able to live a healthy life. I joined this community because I had a journey scheduled and I needed some help because I didn't wanted to fall sick during my travel. This community helped me more than I ever imagined.

But don't you worry because the things will be fine soon. I know maintaining your blood sugar levels might be difficult for you right now but you once get into a diet plan, it won't be that difficult. I guess this information will be useful for you to maintain your blood sugar levels: https://zovon.com/home-remedies/general-health/diabetes-home-remedies/

You can also ask your dietitian about diet, as many questions you want to reconfirm the information given in the blog. It was helpful for me though. But recently I made things even better and started with a keto diet and everything is quite fine now and my last HbA1c was 50 which is very close to 48.

Don't lose hope, We are always here for you! Also, keep learning about the condition :p
Hi there stephenlopez
Very disheartening! I agree with you, this community is a fantastic place! Thanks for the encouragement and for the link. Have you used any of the herbal remedies suggested there? won't you let me know which you found beneficial? Yes, I'm looking forward to a good eating plan - I'll be getting that next week, I hope. Until then, I'll be looking at what everyone else here eats!

DooWop

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are so many diets, (Scandinavian, Newcastle, Mediterranian, Intermittent Fasting, LCHF, keto, carnivore (0 carb)....) and such a variety of treatments, medicinal, herbal what have you... You don't have to decide overnight what is right for you. Take your time, read up on what does what and how... And if there are questions, ask them. Here, through google, your doctor, nurse, dietician etc... The odds are the answers will all be different, because what works for one, might not for another, but it does create options. You get to pick and choose what makes you feel better. When I was diagnosed I thought insulin was going to end up being the be all, end all of my life. I never even got a single injection. ;) I did read a whole lot... And am better for it. But when you're first diagnosed you usually go into a bit of shock; it is traumatic to most of us, and often it'll be hard to wrap your head around a single thought, let alone all this new information. So do give yourself some time to take it all in. It's a bit much right at the beginning. Maybe take notes? ;) You'll be okay. Really.
I am taking notes! And bending my poor husband's ear quite considerably. I really like the idea of treating this as naturally as possible, so I suppose that's my goal! I'm going to look up all the diets you have mentioned and see what they demand. And then, as I said on another post, make a good shopping list. I don't want to be caught without something good to cook/eat...

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone

I had my blood tested on Saturday, 28 April - a real spur of the moment thing; I was in a pharmacy where they do blood tests and thought I really should check it out. I've never done so before. Shock number one ... My blood sugar was 11.8. The clinic sister said I should fast and go for another test, which I did on Monday, 30 April. Shock number two - the reading was 12.9. I made an appointment to see my doctor and he did a whole raft of tests which resulted in shocks galore.

I'm diabetic. My A1C reading is 11.6% / 103mmol/mol. On top of that my cholesterol is high with a TC/HDL ratio of 4.8 (I hope I'm using the correct terms here - I am so new to all of this.)

So, meds, immediately. A statin called Adco-Simvastatin (1 per night after food) and metformin tablets called Mengen 500 (twice a day with food). I've also got an AccuChek meter and 50 strips and have been told to check 5 times per week, upon waking and before and after meals. I could do more to start with - feel like I want to check it every 10 minutes.

I was gearing up to being told to start a very low carb diet, but am now really worried that I won't be able to do so because of the cholesterol issue.

I'm so angry with myself. I'm heading for 60, and very seldom go to the doctor, only as and when I feel sick, which isn't often. I haven't experienced any of the symptoms I've read about here and in other places, except for feet which tingle now and then and skin which seems to be getting dryer (as I get older, or so I thought).

I'm seeing a dietitian next Thursday, and in the meantime will steer clear of all sugar/carbs that I possibly can. I just wish I knew how to find a balance between LCHF and the need to watch cholesterol. I know I need to lose weight, and exercise more (I have a very sedentary job) so that's on the cards in a big way.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to go off these meds, which is a pretty depressing thought.

My husband has been a star, and, as he says, thank heavens for a spur of the moment decision.

Since that first reading on Saturday, I've been reading piles on this forum, and feel like I've reached a safe haven. Thank you for giving me a chance to get this off my chest.

DooWop (feeling like DooFus)

I had a slightly high cholesterol when I was diagnosed. And after starting the LCHF my cholesterol is still at 4.1 the sam s before starting it. My hubby non diabetic had a cholesterol level of 5.6 before starting this diet nd now it’s down to 4.3. We have lots of cream single and double, cheese etc but try a medium fat option if that would help.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am taking notes! And bending my poor husband's ear quite considerably. I really like the idea of treating this as naturally as possible, so I suppose that's my goal! I'm going to look up all the diets you have mentioned and see what they demand. And then, as I said on another post, make a good shopping list. I don't want to be caught without something good to cook/eat...
There's just a few things to remember... Shoppinglist-wise. No rice, potatoes, bread, corn, cereal, you know, anything wheat-y. Careful with condiments, check the label! Fruits are full of fructose, but berries are often okay. (Your meter will tell you). What can you eat, you're wondering? Full fat cream, greek yoghurt (the unsweetened kind. I add stevia, but I believe it spikes some people.), eggs, bacon, any meat really, that's got no carby additives, so steak, or well, basically anything that comes from a cow, pig or bird rather than mostly from a factory. Fish too. (No batter though!). Cheeses! Above ground vegetables are usually good, beans not so much. Too starchy. Nuts are quite wonderful in moderation, and good for you. Avocado is your friend. I've fallen in love with cauliflower rice, it's the perfect replacement for my usual potatoes and rice. I'm not much of a cook, I always keep it simple, but I added a whole lot of herbs to my countertop to make relatively basic dishes more interesting. ;) Examples; start the day with scrambled eggs with bacon and cheese, lunch with a green salad with tuna, olives, capers and mayo, steak or salmon dinner with flavored cauliflower rice and a bulletproof coffee for dessert. (It's coffee with butter/coconutoil).

I don't know if you've read this somewhere already, but if you do get straight into keto, you might feel flu-ish for a little while. Headache, jointpain, nausia. Basically your body is going through withdrawal and has to switch from burning carbs to burning fat. It takes a few days or a week or two, but adding salt or a broth to your menu, and plenty of fluids, should help with the symptoms.