Group time

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondered how long do the regular posters on this group spend on here each day is it a big part of your day or do you just make one or two brief visits..Considering how many members this forum has the number of regular posters on the group is very very small The majority who join seem to come on ask a couple of questions then are never seen again. Has the group got to intimidating or even dictatorial as I think it can come across like that sometimes.

Reactions: Liam1955

Peterseaford

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Being new at this there is a lot to learn and as you know many GP’s - here in Australia anyway - just say your insulin resistant and that’s it

My doctor sent me to a chemist to buy a BG monitoring kit and that’s it

My daughter sent me to a clinic that had a diabetic nurse and there was a doctor there that helped me - I still see her for my type two diabetes and the other GP for my heart condition

I have learned heaps from this forum and ask an occasional question but that does not mean I am not interested

All I have read is most informative- for me anyway- and I have never seen anything on here in the slightest offensive

I read the forums usually twice each day

Kind regards

Peter

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find this group very helpful.

I originally joined to find out more about my diabetes but found the section about saying hi. I was welcomed by many members and made to feel part of a 'family'. I've had questions answered and people help me. I've even had 1 - 1 conversations. This board helps me when I'm feeling down (I also have mental health problems) and it also grounds me when I'm on the higher side of my illness.

I pop in once a day, usually after 12 when I've done my chores.

Unfortunately a few of the members that were so readily available to say hi to me upon joining have left the group - whether by choice or not I dont know. There are still a lot of the 'older' (not age) members still here

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I find this group very helpful.

I originally joined to find out more about my diabetes but found the section about saying hi. I was welcomed by many members and made to feel part of a 'family'. I've had questions answered and people help me. I've even had 1 - 1 conversations. This board helps me when I'm feeling down (I also have mental health problems) and it also grounds me when I'm on the higher side of my illness.

I pop in once a day, usually after 12 when I've done my chores.

Unfortunately a few of the members that were so readily available to say hi to me upon joining have left the group - whether by choice or not I dont know. There are still a lot of the 'older' (not age) members still here

Hi @wolfie11969

A lot of members left on their own accord but I’m still in touch with all of them
Debrasue
Sable Jan
Chris Lowe
Cojaluma

They all remember you and wish you well and so do I

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Every forum that I have ever contributed to has featured posts, at one time or another, voicing the suspicion that there is a cliquish inner circle of favoured people who exclude everyone else from their discussions. I don't happen to agree with this although undoubtedly people who contribute a larger number of posts become familiar with the style and humour of others and relaxed in their company - but that certainly doesn't mean that they are trying to exclude others. Like @wolfie11969 , I have never had anything except welcoming friendliness and significant help and support, particularly in the difficult early days post-diagnosis, from others on these fora. I have hardly ever felt intimidated, dictated to or excluded by anyone.

I have one caveat, gleaned from my experience on various online communities and not specific to any particular one. The people running a forum can often take sides on issues like this, based on judgements and opinions that may or may not be correct. Those thus judged can sometimes feel, in their turn, that they are being discriminated against and made to feel unwelcome, with the result that they go and that fora lose valuable contributors and members, which doesn't do anyone any good.

Purely my opinion; other points of view are available :)

[/dismouts from soap box]

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Every forum that I have ever contributed to has featured posts, at one time or another, voicing the suspicion that there is a cliquish inner circle of favoured people who exclude everyone else from their discussions. I don't happen to agree with this although undoubtedly people who contribute a larger number of posts become familiar with the style and humour of others and relaxed in their company - but that certainly doesn't mean that they are trying to exclude others. Like @wolfie11969 , I have never had anything except welcoming friendliness and significant help and support, particularly in the difficult early days post-diagnosis, from others on these fora. I have hardly ever felt intimidated, dictated to or excluded by anyone.

I have one caveat, gleaned from my experience on various online communities and not specific to any particular one. The people running a forum can often take sides on issues like this, based on judgements and opinions that may or may not be correct. Those thus judged can sometimes feel, in their turn, that they are being discriminated against and made to feel unwelcome, with the result that they go and that fora lose valuable contributors and members, which doesn't do anyone any good.

Purely my opinion; other points of view are available :)

[/dismouts from soap box]
Well said jay

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wondered how long do the regular posters on this group spend on here each day is it a big part of your day or do you just make one or two brief visits..Considering how many members this forum has the number of regular posters on the group is very very small The majority who join seem to come on ask a couple of questions then are never seen again. Has the group got to intimidating or even dictatorial as I think it can come across like that sometimes.
Depends on how much time I have. Some days not at all some days more often. Not sure about it being dictatorial, sometimes I think it's too biased towards keto which could scare people off but mostly I think people who manage their diabetes a particular way want to share the benefits and their knowledge with everyone. So I guess if you try that way and it doesn't work or you don't like then maybe a lot of people might go elsewhere for support. I think some people maybe look at themselves and think if it's worked for me it will work for everyone but we are all so different with different lifestyle that no one method will fit all.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I check in every morning and evening.
Though if I need to post anything, then will pop in during the day

Reactions: dunelm

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Some people only access the forum when they have a problem, they read the advice but contribute little. Other people read the forums regularly but but post little. Some post an awful lot in particular parts of the forum but not in others. We are all different. There is no case for a particular member posting too much or too little in a moralistic sense.

We all join for same reason, however, members leave for a variety of reasons, not all leave because they feel intimidated.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
What a load of old twadle this thread is, we all give and take as required.

Reactions: Cumberland

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @wolfie11969

A lot of members left on their own accord but I’m still in touch with all of them
Debrasue
Sable Jan
Chris Lowe
Cojaluma

They all remember you and wish you well and so do I

Hi back to the lovely people.

I dont suppose anyone is in touch with Mist? He disappeared too

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
You are right Mist just vanished and I’m not in touch with him

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi pink orchid i would just like to know why you would ask this question also why does it matter to you how long/short posters spend on this site basically people come and go as they please and its there own choice if they contribute or not and i cetainly dont think this site is the least bit intimidating at all and wondered why you would think this

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I spend some of my shared stationary time on here.
I give and take....from my diabetic family.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I sometimes wonder the same points.

I drop in when I have time. I'm a member of groups in real life and if people dont turn up we check to see if they are ok or need help or if our group wasnt suitable for their needs...

I dont think its bad to ask why people come and go or stay or how the forum fits in to peoples lives... its the only way to get feedback and to move forward and improve

Reactions: Clivethedrive

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I have never been the most consistent member. Have been around altogether for a little over three years but spent about a year, maybe a little less not contributing..

I do however spend a lot of time reading through threads. If I feel I can be of help I will post something but will not normally get involved in discussions back and forth as most do.. I suppose it is more a case of one or two every now and then..

Despite this I know that there is a great fellowship on this forum and I feel very comfortable being part of it even if I don't interact too much..

I love the forum games and general chat threads..