Passed my test by licence only valid for 1 year?

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone - I might be mistaken but I understood diabetics have to renew their driving licences every 3 years. Does anyone know why my first licence needs to be renewed after one year? I haven't had a serious hypo that need assistance in 9 years so doubt it is to do with that - is this something that happens to all diabetics?
Or maybe new requirements? I haven't been able to find anything specific on the DVLA/government websites.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi everyone - I might be mistaken but I understood diabetics have to renew their driving licences every 3 years. Does anyone know why my first licence needs to be renewed after one year? I haven't had a serious hypo that need assistance in 9 years so doubt it is to do with that - is this something that happens to all diabetics?
Or maybe new requirements? I haven't been able to find anything specific on the DVLA/government websites.

Did you declare anything else - eye problems for example?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
No, just type 1 for 21 years.

Maybe it's a precautionary measure as it's your first license (I'm hypothesising like mad here) - I got a 3 year license renewed without any problems. If you're not happy then give DVLA a call - they are usually quite helpful over the phone.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know if you want to drive some of the bigger vehicles (not sure which ones, some of the trucks maybe) you have to renew every year.
You could always try and contact them to ask if no-one can come up with a good reason and their website doesn't say - it is possible it's some new thing they've brought in, but I don't know.

Reactions: isjoberg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Erm,... I'll put my head above the parapet here, and profuse appologies if you're a young strippling, but "normal" driving licenses need to be renewed as a matter of course at aged 70.

I'm certainly not asking you to declare your age, but just throwing it in the ring.

Enjoy your new found freedom.

Reactions: isjoberg

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Erm,... I'll put my head above the parapet here, and profuse appologies if you're a young strippling, but "normal" driving licenses need to be renewed as a matter of course at aged 70.

I'm certainly not asking you to declare your age, but just throwing it in the ring.

Enjoy your new found freedom.
I'm only 22 so doubt this is the case!

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Rokaab @urbanracer I think it must be something to do with it being my first licence. I'm fine for now, but will see if I get that three year renewal period next year! I know a lot of the regulations have changed so this must be part of that - just wondered if anyone knew what the logic was behind this.

malhotrn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello isjoberg, My son has also recently passed his driving test and has been issued a 1 year license. Did you find out anything about this from DVLA?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Here I have to get my licence renewed every year after a medical assessment is done. I used to be able to renew my licence every 5 years and they won't let me do that anymore since they introduced requirement to report medical conditions here (hasn't been in place that long here).

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Did you request provisional for class 2? If so they will only issue a 1 year license