Type 2 is back

Walter Wolf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, to start from the beginning, I am 40 years old, male, 183cm (6') and around 110 kg (17.5 st) and newly diagnosed Type 2.

I had very borderline results 7 years ago (7.1 fasting and 11.2 post-prandial). I was not put on any meds at that stage. Rather I was advised to control it through diet and exercise, which I did. I lost 35kg in about 18 months and brought my blood sugar down to something like 5 on a fasting test.

Great, you may say. Except I was so miserable for those 18 months, that once my sugars were down to normal, I relaxed the diet. I simply couldn't stand it.

The one thing I did keep up was the exercise. I really love walking and for the last 5 years, I have been doing long distance walks at least 2-3 a week, normally between 7 and 12km. Only in the last 5 years have I had the time to do this.

However, my weight has now increased from 98kg back to about 110kg (compared to 135kg seven years ago) and I have recently been feeling the symptoms of Type 2 (dry mouth, excessive thirst, drowsiness and low energy levels).

I had a fasting test on Friday and scored 275 mg/dl (about 15.2 on the British scale). I had known for a couple of months that the diabetes was back, but I didn't realise how severe it was.

I was immediately put on metformin (1,000mg x2/day), which is causing diarrhoea any time I attempt to eat anything.

To be quite honest, this diagnosis has totally flattened me. I have not left my apartment and barely eaten anything in the last 48 hours, partly because of the diarrhoea but mostly because I just can't be bothered.

I have just completely lost interest in doing anything, because I remember what sheer misery the whole thing was last time and how it affected every single aspect of my life.

I'm not here for advice on healthy eating. I've read all of that and been through it once before. It's too severe and too miserable and I simply can't put myself through that for the rest of my life.

I would, however, like to get back into my walking, which has been severely curtailed through my low energy levels.

I am willing to take any and all tablets the doctors can throw at me, providing the side effects can be controlled. My questions are about controlling this with medication.

1. Do the side effects of metformin subside, once my body gets used to it?

2. If they don't, what alternatives are there to metformin?

3. How likely is metformin to restore my energy levels and allow me to start enjoying what's left of my life again?

At the moment, is seems like I have three choices:

1. Ignore it and feel constantly tired and eventually have my legs sawn off.

2. Live on rabbit food for the next 40 years and be constantly miserable and hungry.

3. Take the tablets and spend my life sitting on the toilet.

Frankly all 3 of these options have a similar level of appeal and I can just see this stretching in front of me like a life sentence.

I can accept a shortened life expectancy if I have to. It would be disappointing to be around for less time that I had hoped, because up until now I have had a good life.

I used to really enjoy my long walks by the lake, as well as travelling for anything up to 4 months a year (I am semi-retired and have a very enjoyable summer job).

On the face of it, I have a wonderful life and very little to be miserable about. But this diagnosis has overshadowed absolutely everything.

Now, everything is about diabetes. Everything I eat, everything I drink, everything I see and everything I hear is a reminder of how my life is never going to be the same again.

What I am trying to achieve here is to find some way of feeling normal again. Some way of getting back to the life I used to enjoy without everything being dominated by carbs, sugar, diabetes, diet, etc., like it was last time.

All I want is the energy levels back. If the metformin (or anything else) can do that without restricting me to a 10m radius of a toilet bowl, fine. I have no objection to taking medication.

I just can't do the strict dieting again. Everyone said I would get used to it and my tastes would change and my habits would change and everything would be so much better. But it wasn't. It was misery for 18 months and I can't go through it for the rest of my life.

Sorry if this is a long and rambling post, but my head is all over the place at the moment.

To anyone who has actually read all of this diatribe, I don't want to depress anyone and I don't want to criticise or offend anyone.

I truly respect those people who are managing to control this illness by sticking to the right diets. You are stronger people than me.

Reactions: Iban

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Walter Wolf I'm sorry you are feeling so low at the moment. I can understand that you are disappointed and fed up to be diagnosed with T2 again - once is bad enough.
I'm not on any meds so I can't advise you on that, but I do walk every day and really enjoy it. I'm pretty sure that if you got back to walking, it would help with your energy levels. Do you have a buddy you can walk with?
edited to add a tag to @dbr10 as I believe he takes metformin, and @Guzzler

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Are you on slow release metformin?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
2. Live on rabbit food for the next 40 years and be constantly miserable and hungry.
I'm sorry you feel so low. Can't help you with most of your questions as I'm on insulin, but just what was your former horrible diet? Did it have plenty of bacon and eggs, steaks, butter, full fat cheeses, mayonnaise and peanuts? Because those are only some of the things you can freely eat without messing up your blood sugars...
I see this is only your second post, so I'll tag @daisy1 who'll provide you with some excellent information. Good luck!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, and welcome to the forum. I hope we can find you some solutions, what were you eating when you were “doing the thing” first time around?

Reactions: briped

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Walter, I’m saddened that you feel so low. I’m on Metformin, I’ve taken it for nearly a year since my diagnosis last year. I had to be near a loo for the first week but after that have tolerated it really well. You could ask for the extended release version if things don’t improve for you. I eat low carb aswell to control my sugars and lose weight, but it’s not all rabbit food. For breakfast everyday I eat low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream, for lunch today I had cold roast chicken, cauliflower, brocolli and pork scratchings followed by Greek yoghurt and blueberries. I had a high protein chocolate snack bar and coffee mid afternoon and I’ve been to a restaurant for a carvery this evening (just went easy on the spuds and Yorkshire pud). Have a look at the thread ‘what have you eaten today?’ in the low carb forum, we eat pizza, cakes and biscuits too, just low carb versions :hungry:
I was diagnosed on a routine blood test for something else so it was a huge shock for me but once I’d got to grips with things and started to feel better I realised how poorly I had been feeling.
I do hope you can find a way to deal with this yourself. Stick around for support and info and ask anything you need to know.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Walter,
Mi totally agree with @Rachox its not all rabbit food infact I’m eating so much better now and feel healthier than I used to!

For breakfast I have either fried eggs, omelette, bacon, ham, smoked salmon, cream cheese, homemade chicken or beef burger, cheese, avocado, raspberries with full fat yogurt, an apple or pear etc.

For lunch and dinner, I have roast chicken, beef, pork, fish with lots of delicious recipes for vegetables and salad in Mexican, Chinese, Indian French, Italian style cooking etc.

For tea, I make my own keto low carb cakes, chocolates, ice cream etc.

Being creative is part of managing diabetes.

Do not let diabetes control you - take back control.

Control is king!

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
40..... hmm I was 56 when diagnosed and now 60, happily converted to the rabbit food.... actually meat, fish, cheese and veg.
98 kg for 6', you're a big unit, so probably got either a lot of muscle or a little too much tubbs.

40 is young and you've got a lot of walks still in you.

Low carb high fat does not need to be hard and would be really worth giving it another go.

I really wish you well.

Walter Wolf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the replies everyone. In answer to the questions:

archersuz: I normally walk alone, as I can go at my own pace and have breaks any time. I used to really enjoy the walking, but don't have the energy or frankly the inclination any more. It's like a vicious circle - as my energy levels get lower, the less I walk, etc.

Mike D: I have no idea. I think it's just basic metformin.

Antje77: Yes, my diet includes all of those things, apart from the peanuts. I usually eat at a diner close to my work. I don't cook - I am a one-man disaster zone in the kitchen.

Mel dCP: Last time around, my doctor gave me the hellfire and brimstone warnings about abdominal fat and how that affects the efficiency of the insulin that my body produces.

I was given a huge list of everything I couldn't eat - basically everything that was even moderately high in sugar, fat, carbs or salt. My doctor just went on and about weight loss, weight loss, weight loss.

I must admit I didn't stick to it to the letter, but it got to the stage where every time I looked at a plate of food, all that went through my head was "carbs, sugar, fat, diabetes, calories". I'm getting like that again now too. For the last 48 hours, my total consumption has been 4 slices of toast, 6 litres of mineral water, two cappuccinos and 80 cigarettes.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @Walter Wolf, so glad you have come to the Forum - don't know if you did the first time around - but you have come to a good place for getting information, personal experiences to read about, a good place for having a rant as above, a good place to perhaps find a way to come to peace with your diagnosis and realize that yes, there is the testing, there is the being more aware of what you are eating, but, it does not have to be drudgery and misery all the days of your life....You do have to put your big boy pants on and get with it....depression is something that many of us struggle with, especially when first diagnosed and it sounds like you are heading into that particular pity party...as well as the very angry party...been there so I know whereof I speak....it is up to you which way you are going to go - be bitter or be better.....you are the only one who can decide that.

As far as the Metformin, that is a huge amount right off the bat to assimilate into your body - diarrhea is one of the most common side effects, especially at that amount. Call your GP and see if you can reduce to 500mg twice a day until your get adjusted and then gradually increase to the 1000mg twice a day if need be. And also to take the slow release form as @Mike D asked if you are on that. That should help....and some people just cannot tolerate Metformin and have to try something else.

You mentioned you have read all the diet stuff and don't want to be told what to eat. Fair enough, but peruse the Forum and see how many of us have had wonderful, honestly awe-inspiring results with eating low carb, low carb high fat or variations of that, "keto" and so forth. We truly are what we eat when it comes to controlling our diabetes and what works for one will not work for another but we all work at getting the best control we can with what we have to work with. Drudgery? Not really if you decide that you have the time to experiment, to discover flavors you have never tried before, feeling indulgent with eating bacon and eggs for breakfast every morning or whatever else floats your boat or puts a spring in your hiking boots.....:)

Bottom line, get on with it. Blessings/L

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really feel for you. Now I don't know anything really about type 2 but wouldn't you be better off on a stronger drug that lowers your glucose levels? Not everybody can stick to low carbs. Can type 2's be put on insulin or is that only for the ones who are no longer producing much of their own? I would discuss it strongly with my Doctor I think. x

Walter Wolf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
NewTD 2: Thanks for the advice, but I am a hopeless cook and I am likely to make my own cakes and work out my own recipes as I am to fly to the moon.

hankjam: Yes, that is basically the issue. I'm back up to about 110kg now. Staying on the diet was just too miserable. By the way, high fat is the last thing I need medically. What I supposedly need is low carb, low fat - and that is hard. I know. I've done it once.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, to start from the beginning, I am 40 years old, male, 183cm (6') and around 110 kg (17.5 st) and newly diagnosed Type 2.

I had very borderline results 7 years ago (7.1 fasting and 11.2 post-prandial). I was not put on any meds at that stage. Rather I was advised to control it through diet and exercise, which I did. I lost 35kg in about 18 months and brought my blood sugar down to something like 5 on a fasting test.

Great, you may say. Except I was so miserable for those 18 months, that once my sugars were down to normal, I relaxed the diet. I simply couldn't stand it.

The one thing I did keep up was the exercise. I really love walking and for the last 5 years, I have been doing long distance walks at least 2-3 a week, normally between 7 and 12km. Only in the last 5 years have I had the time to do this.

However, my weight has now increased from 98kg back to about 110kg (compared to 135kg seven years ago) and I have recently been feeling the symptoms of Type 2 (dry mouth, excessive thirst, drowsiness and low energy levels).

I had a fasting test on Friday and scored 275 mg/dl (about 15.2 on the British scale). I had known for a couple of months that the diabetes was back, but I didn't realise how severe it was.

I was immediately put on metformin (1,000mg x2/day), which is causing diarrhoea any time I attempt to eat anything.

To be quite honest, this diagnosis has totally flattened me. I have not left my apartment and barely eaten anything in the last 48 hours, partly because of the diarrhoea but mostly because I just can't be bothered.

I have just completely lost interest in doing anything, because I remember what sheer misery the whole thing was last time and how it affected every single aspect of my life.

I'm not here for advice on healthy eating. I've read all of that and been through it once before. It's too severe and too miserable and I simply can't put myself through that for the rest of my life.

I would, however, like to get back into my walking, which has been severely curtailed through my low energy levels.

I am willing to take any and all tablets the doctors can throw at me, providing the side effects can be controlled. My questions are about controlling this with medication.

1. Do the side effects of metformin subside, once my body gets used to it?

2. If they don't, what alternatives are there to metformin?

3. How likely is metformin to restore my energy levels and allow me to start enjoying what's left of my life again?

At the moment, is seems like I have three choices:

1. Ignore it and feel constantly tired and eventually have my legs sawn off.

3. Take the tablets and spend my life sitting on the toilet.

Frankly all 3 of these options have a similar level of appeal and I can just see this stretching in front of me like a life sentence.

I can accept a shortened life expectancy if I have to. It would be disappointing to be around for less time that I had hoped, because up until now I have had a good life.

I used to really enjoy my long walks by the lake, as well as travelling for anything up to 4 months a year (I am semi-retired and have a very enjoyable summer job).

On the face of it, I have a wonderful life and very little to be miserable about. But this diagnosis has overshadowed absolutely everything.

Now, everything is about diabetes. Everything I eat, everything I drink, everything I see and everything I hear is a reminder of how my life is never going to be the same again.

What I am trying to achieve here is to find some way of feeling normal again. Some way of getting back to the life I used to enjoy without everything being dominated by carbs, sugar, diabetes, diet, etc., like it was last time.

All I want is the energy levels back. If the metformin (or anything else) can do that without restricting me to a 10m radius of a toilet bowl, fine. I have no objection to taking medication.

I just can't do the strict dieting again. Everyone said I would get used to it and my tastes would change and my habits would change and everything would be so much better. But it wasn't. It was misery for 18 months and I can't go through it for the rest of my life.

Sorry if this is a long and rambling post, but my head is all over the place at the moment.

To anyone who has actually read all of this diatribe, I don't want to depress anyone and I don't want to criticise or offend anyone.

I truly respect those people who are managing to control this illness by sticking to the right diets. You are stronger people than me.

Hi there. I understand the rediagnosis would be a body blow, but it is what it is.

Firstly, many people find their tummies settle after a few days, but if not, there is a slow release version of Metformin, which is usually a good deal gentler on the tummy.

One comment I would make about diet is that much has changed in recent years - even from the time I was diagnosed in 2013, so it could be worthwhile having a look again at that angle. With T2, our biggest weapon in our armoury against diabetes is what we eat and drink. I don't eat like a rabbit, that's absolutely for certain.

Maybe you could share what you ate before when you were diagnosed, just to allow folks to gauge things.

In terms of giving up travelling, I'm pretty certain there's not need to do that at all. I went travelling for 9 months, 3 weels post-diagnoses and had a whale of a time. I wasn't (and never have been) on meds of any sort, but it is possible to come off Metformin. It's not necessarily a rest of life situation.

Walter Wolf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
lindijanice: Thanks for the advice. To be honest, yes. I am feeling totally bitter at the moment. I don't want my life to be about carbs and keto. I've been through that before. I know you're trying to help and I really appreciate that, but I'm not in the right space at the moment to discuss that.

My doctor has said that if the metformin causes problems, I can halve the dose for a while, but I am still hoping my body will get used to it.

KK123: This sounds interesting. A stronger drug that lowers my glucose levels? I thought that was what metformin was supposed to do? If there is something better, bring it on.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I apologise in advance if I missed something but why did you go or why were you advised to go low fat?

Walter Wolf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
DCUKMod: Thanks for the advice. I am really not the slightest bit bothered about having to take medication, as long as I can get the side effects under control. The slow release metformin definitely sounds like it could work.

I don't really care how many pills I have to pop, as long as I can bring the symptoms under control. That's all I want. If I can get my energy levels under control, I will be back out walking and travelling and enjoying my life.

I just can't do the constant food monitoring. I know I won't stick to it. I'm looking to treat the symptoms here, not the condition.

Guzzler: I was advised to go low fat, because my specific issue is that my abdominal fat levels were (and obviously still are) affecting the function of the insulin produced by my body.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
NewTD 2: Thanks for the advice, but I am a hopeless cook and I am likely to make my own cakes and work out my own recipes as I am to fly to the moon.

hankjam: Yes, that is basically the issue. I'm back up to about 110kg now. Staying on the diet was just too miserable. By the way, high fat is the last thing I need medically. What I supposedly need is low carb, low fat - and that is hard. I know. I've done it once.

Yeah I can understand low carb low fat would be a downer... sort of leaves meat and there are those who are quite happy with just meat.

Walter Wolf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah I can understand low carb low fat would be a downer... sort of leaves meat and there are those who are quite happy with just meat.

The trouble is red meat is one of the things I have been warned about. Chicken and salmon are nice, but not for every meal.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DCUKMod: Thanks for the advice. I am really not the slightest bit bothered about having to take medication, as long as I can get the side effects under control. The slow release metformin definitely sounds like it could work.

I don't really care how many pills I have to pop, as long as I can bring the symptoms under control. That's all I want. If I can get my energy levels under control, I will be back out walking and travelling and enjoying my life.

I just can't do the constant food monitoring. I know I won't stick to it. I'm looking to treat the symptoms here, not the condition.

Guzzler: I was advised to go low fat, because my specific issue is that my abdominal fat levels were (and obviously still are) affecting the function of the insulin produced by my body.

You clearly have to find a way of living that suits you - we all did and do.

My only comment about your willingness to take meds would be that many meds have side effects or impacts, and some are way more work than managing diet.

Not everyone, for a million and one reasons can manage their condition by diet and exercise or Metformin, but there really isn't a magic bullet for diabetes.

Take your time and have a ponder. If you don't have a blood glucose monitor, I suggest you acquire on to see what most impacts you this time around.

Reactions: Walter Wolf

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
The official (outdated) advice from many nutritionists on diet tends to be low fat high carb. Oh, but you're diabetic so you'd better go on low carb as well. Frankly, this is crazy, you've got to eat something. Many many T2s on this forum control their condition by going very low carb but HIGH fat - eg eggs and bacon for breakfast. Don't worry about the fat content, just eliminate the carbs, and your weight should drop off.

Is there a reason why you've been warned off red meat other than the T2 diabetes and weight loss.