Type 2 is back

Walter Wolf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The official (outdated) advice from many nutritionists on diet tends to be low fat high carb. Oh, but you're diabetic so you'd better go on low carb as well. Frankly, this is crazy, you've got to eat something. Many many T2s on this forum control their condition by going very low carb but HIGH fat - eg eggs and bacon for breakfast. Don't worry about the fat content, just eliminate the carbs, and your weight should drop off.

Is there a reason why you've been warned off red meat other than the T2 diabetes and weight loss.

No. Just the weight loss. All I hear from the doctors is weight loss, weight loss, weight loss, carbs, carbs, carbs, fat, fat, fat. I'm sick of hearing it. I think a lot of the problem is not what I eat, but how much.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When you ditch the carbs ánd the fat you're basically starving yourself. As a diabetic your body has trouble with carbs but not with fat.

Walter Wolf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You clearly have to find a way of living that suits you - we all did and do.

My only comment about your willingness to take meds would be that many meds have side effects or impacts, and some are way more work than managing diet.

Not everyone, for a million and one reasons can manage their condition by diet and exercise or Metformin, but there really isn't a magic bullet for diabetes.

Take your time and have a ponder. If you don't have a blood glucose monitor, I suggest you acquire on to see what most impacts you this time around.

That's the thing. Many people don't find that managing diet is particularly hard work. I find it very hard work and very depressing.

Most of my social life revolves around going out for meals and drinks with friends and I just don't want to be sitting there with a Coke Zero, thinking "Is there anything on this menu that I can actually eat?"

I have done it once, very successfully (well, temporarily). I know what it's like and I hate it. I'm not looking for a magic bullet - I know there isn't one. All I'm looking for is something to get me back on my feet, symptoms-wise.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
OK ... what DO you weigh

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem is the carbs - not fat, not red meat - its the carbs.
All that stuff about cholesterol which is now turning out to be just plain wrong has caused so many problems - yes there are some unlucky people who see their cholesterol go up - but they have a very specific problem, ordinary people eat low carb and high fat - just like Dr Atkins advised, and their cholesterol goes down, their weight goes down - I have not even tried to lose weight, just to keep my blood glucose in the right zone - and I have had to replace all my clothes with smaller ones - even my shoes became loose.
You really can eat some fairly ordinary foods - not bread though - but how about roast chicken with courgette sweet pepper and mushrooms and a salad? You can drink spirits or dry wines - dilute with fizzy water if you want to make them less intense, or last longer. Once you get used to eating low carb you should find that your energy increases father than reduces - you had some bad advice before, you need fats as well as protein for good health, but there are no essential carbs.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's the thing. Many people don't find that managing diet is particularly hard work. I find it very hard work and very depressing.

Most of my social life revolves around going out for meals and drinks with friends and I just don't want to be sitting there with a Coke Zero, thinking "Is there anything on this menu that I can actually eat?"

I have done it once, very successfully (well, temporarily). I know what it's like and I hate it. I'm not looking for a magic bullet - I know there isn't one. All I'm looking for is something to get me back on my feet, symptoms-wise.

Being diabetic needn't be a short tether to home. I have never, ever declined a social invitation due to diabetes. That was a pledge I made to myself and my OH at the time of my diabetes diagnosis.

OK, sometimes my food choices seemd a bit odd to others, but it's my life.

To be honest, when eating out, I generally find it easy to find food to eat. Eating with others in another person's home, with their choice of menu it could be "interesting" to begin with.

Only you can decide how to move forward with this, as in reality you're the only one who will live with any resulting consequences. Please don't take that last sentence as being said disdainfully. It's not.

Having spent many moons making my money in the world of "Change", I know full well that any person who needs to change, and sustain it, needs to be in the right head-space to do so, or it'll be doomed to fail.

If I am considering change, either for myself, or on behalf of a client or organisation, the one question I will pose 100% of time is, "What's in it for me?" Unless the person making the change can see something in the change for them that find find attractive (could be any manner of things), the changes will be very challenging and likely short lived.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yes - I had Metformin and a statin prescribed - I was absolutely wretched until I threw them in the bin - felt so much better, but it made me all the more determined to go with the diet - totally normal readings for the last year.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The trouble is red meat is one of the things I have been warned about. Chicken and salmon are nice, but not for every meal.

Doctors are highly trained individuals and to a degree often set in their ways. Mine were quite happy to put me on statins and three times I had to come off them as they were doing damage to my liver. I probably should have put a stop to them earlier. Even now I have a continued discussion as to trying a fourth statin, which I've stonewalled. My cholesterol is through the roof but my weight and diabetes is under control. Reading recent commentaries on statins has done nothing to change my opinion.
The only thing I now restrict is the carbs I eat and everything else is fair game, except for low fat, which is an appalling conceit of the food industry.
I would recommend some in depth research on your particular restrictions and understand if they are still valid.

Reactions: Guzzler

Walter Wolf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
DCUKMod:

You have summed it up perfectly. The bottom line is I don't want to change. I know everyone is trying to help by steering me back towards the diets and telling me that it won't be so bad.

But to be honest, even the low carb diet looks awful. There are so many restrictions on so many basic staple foods. I could probably put up with it for a few months, but I know I would be thoroughly miserable and I know I wouldn't stick to it.

Saying "Yes I'll give it a go, it might be ok" is not going to do any good at all, because I would be lying to myself and others.

Walter Wolf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh yes - I had Metformin and a statin prescribed - I was absolutely wretched until I threw them in the bin - felt so much better, but it made me all the more determined to go with the diet - totally normal readings for the last year.

Well done. I am truly happy for you and respect the way you have done it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All I hear from the doctors is weight loss, weight loss, weight loss, carbs, carbs, carbs, fat, fat, fat. I'm sick of hearing it. I think a lot of the problem is not what I eat, but how much.
Sounds like your doctors , through their own ignorance, have really screwed you over. I would strongly suggest you give low carbing a go. If you can cook eggs and bacon then you have it licked. If you want more info I am happy to share but completely understand if you don't. But you came here for a reason...

Reactions: Terrytiddy

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DCUKMod:

You have summed it up perfectly. The bottom line is I don't want to change. I know everyone is trying to help by steering me back towards the diets and telling me that it won't be so bad.

But to be honest, even the low carb diet looks awful. There are so many restrictions on so many basic staple foods. I could probably put up with it for a few months, but I know I would be thoroughly miserable and I know I wouldn't stick to it.

Saying "Yes I'll give it a go, it might be ok" is not going to do any good at all, because I would be lying to myself and others.

You're a big, groen up boy, so you will live your life as you see fit. Have you ever encountered anyone with lkife altering diabetes complications? I'm not going to suggest you go Googling it, but there are times when a person gets to that point where there is no return - whether it be painful neuropathy, ciculation issues, compromising digits or have a heart attack or stroke, or they start to have issies with their eyes It is more unfortunate that that is the first time they are truly motivated to do anything.

As well as taking part on here, I am a member of a local Diabetes UK group in my nearest town. That's where I first encountered people with coimplcations in my real life. It can be a bit sobering to say the least.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. I am truly happy for you and respect the way you have done it.
Honestly I would not go back to the so called cholesterol lowering diet I was on with all the stodgy carbs which sapped all my energy and made me so fat.
I can eat chicken, lamb, pork chops, turkey, goose, quail and beef, any sort of fish or shellfish - eggs and cheese, a whole range of vegetables - I can have frozen berries and eat them with cream and sugar free jelly. I do salads and stirfries - or roast the veges in with the meat. There are low carb baked goods though they have to be made at home, there is even 'fathead' pizza.
The consequences of uncontrolled diabetes are not just extra pills to take - when I was a small child my family lived with my father's parents as my grandmother was dying slowly from uncontrolled type two diabetes, and it is not something I will ever forget. You have a chance to avoid all that might go wrong - I can only urge you with all my heart to avoid the possible consequences.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
DCUKMod:

Not a valid response if you've already predicted a future you cannot see.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Honestly I would not go back to the so called cholesterol lowering diet I was on with all the stodgy carbs which sapped all my energy and made me so fat.
I can eat chicken, lamb, pork chops, turkey, goose, quail and beef, any sort of fish or shellfish - eggs and cheese, a whole range of vegetables - I can have frozen berries and eat them with cream and sugar free jelly. I do salads and stirfries - or roast the veges in with the meat. There are low carb baked goods though they have to be made at home, there is even 'fathead' pizza.
The consequences of uncontrolled diabetes are not just extra pills to take - when I was a small child my family lived with my father's parents as my grandmother was dying slowly from uncontrolled type two diabetes, and it is not something I will ever forget. You have a chance to avoid all that might go wrong - I can only urge you with all my heart to avoid the possible consequences.

Diabetic complications are absolutely scary but can be avoided totally by being in control every single day!

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
DCUKMod:

Ok firstly I kind of know where you're coming from. I spent the first week hesitant to eat anything, then looked on here and did low carb for a month or so but couldn't stick to it, it was awful. The thought of eating bacon and eggs turns my stomach even now over a year later and it did nothing to help my levels anyway. Why set yourself up for failure? At least you're honest enough to admit you can't do it. I also take another tablet which helps my body make a bit more insulin and that works well for me. I looked at what I was eating and made little tweaks like swapping the bread I eat for one of the lowest carb but proper bread I could find, making sure that the carbs on my plate were a smaller percentage of the plate than they were before. I never say to myself I can't have that I'm diabetic but I do make sure that I try to pick lower carb options of the foods I enjoy. I get that you don't cook so that makes things more difficult but when you eat out, which you probably do much more than me, go out, enjoy yourself but just go easy on the carbs and reduce your portion size. Try to pick up the exercise again, even if only a small amount initially, because that will help too. If you can get your glucose levels down a little, you will begin to feel a little better. And it could have a snowball effect if you keep On, making changes, exercising more, reducing levels, reducing weight and just feeling a bit more like you. I know it's easy to say but we've all been where you are now. It sucks. It really sucks and not a day goes by where I don't wish I.didnt have diabetes. But I owe it to myself to.stay as healthy as I can, I like feeling healthy and full of energy and keep my sugar levels down. Give it a Try, do what you can and bit by bit it will start to become easier and you will feel better. Take care

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you in the US? I lived in Texas and Arizona for 15 years but now live in Wales, and I have to admit, I don’t know what I’d do if I still lived there. I’d never be able avoid the mountains of tortilla chips and salsa/queso that come before every meal in a restaurant. Or stacks of pancakes and maple syrup for brunch. Oh, now I’m hungry ...! I am 41 and yes, it’s s really tough lifestyle to control diabetes and see a life ahead of really restricted foods. Just because of being in the UK and not the US Southwest, I don’t have the everyday temptations I used to have. I eat out far less often and portion sizes are significantly smaller. We don’t have tortilla chips and salsa as a matter of course, especially not constantly refilled baskets!

I don’t actually have any advice, more just solidarity and a reminder that we all face different challenges. I haven’t ever been on medication, so can’t help there. I hope you find a way forward you are happy with.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Going to throw another option into the ring - just in case it's of any use to you. Instead of changing what you eat - change how often. So enjoy your meals out - eat the same as your friends - but skip lunch or breakfast or both - ie. intermittent fasting. It's been a very effective method of controlling/reversing diabetes for Dr Jason Fung's patients - some who were unable to adopt a low carb lifestyle due to, in their cases, tight food budgets, so fasting was a free, uncomplicated solution.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck.

Walter Wolf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok firstly I kind of know where you're coming from. I spent the first week hesitant to eat anything, then looked on here and did low carb for a month or so but couldn't stick to it, it was awful. The thought of eating bacon and eggs turns my stomach even now over a year later and it did nothing to help my levels anyway. Why set yourself up for failure? At least you're honest enough to admit you can't do it. I also take another tablet which helps my body make a bit more insulin and that works well for me. I looked at what I was eating and made little tweaks like swapping the bread I eat for one of the lowest carb but proper bread I could find, making sure that the carbs on my plate were a smaller percentage of the plate than they were before. I never say to myself I can't have that I'm diabetic but I do make sure that I try to pick lower carb options of the foods I enjoy. I get that you don't cook so that makes things more difficult but when you eat out, which you probably do much more than me, go out, enjoy yourself but just go easy on the carbs and reduce your portion size. Try to pick up the exercise again, even if only a small amount initially, because that will help too. If you can get your glucose levels down a little, you will begin to feel a little better. And it could have a snowball effect if you keep On, making changes, exercising more, reducing levels, reducing weight and just feeling a bit more like you. I know it's easy to say but we've all been where you are now. It sucks. It really sucks and not a day goes by where I don't wish I.didnt have diabetes. But I owe it to myself to.stay as healthy as I can, I like feeling healthy and full of energy and keep my sugar levels down. Give it a Try, do what you can and bit by bit it will start to become easier and you will feel better. Take care

Thank you. I think you are the only person who has truly understood where I'm coming from. Everyone else has been very kind and has tried their very best to help and I truly appreciate their efforts.

I don't mean to be at all rude or dismissive towards anyone who has given their time and effort to try to help me. It is very kind of everyone to do that. But I didn't come here for dietary advice. I am seeking an alternative to that.

I know this is never going to be cured and I know it is going to shorten my life. I accept that. I'm just hoping to find some way of either dealing with the meds, or finding something better, to let me get back to enjoying life for however long I am around.

I really like the exercise. Believe me, there is nothing I would love more than to go for a 10-mile walk by the lake tomorrow, if only I had the energy and wasn't chained to the toilet bowl.

Everyone says do the diet and my health will improve, and annoyingly I know they are right. But every time I read about the diets, I find it completely soul destroying.

Maybe once I get my head together, I might try making small adjustments to one or two meals a week. But the full-on low-carb, no-this, no-that is not going to happen.

I can't do it and there is no point in pretending I can. I wish I could. But I can't.

I am going back to the doctor in the morning to enquire about the slow release metformin. It really does sound better and I hope it works.