redness around canula site

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you need what you need I suppose.....

does the pump not have a maximum bolus...? I think some settings need tweaked to get a 30 unit bolus...

what's your largest basal rate out of curiosity...?
My largest basal rate is 12.5 iu an hour at 13:30 for three hrs, I run six different rates, have reduced some, and left others alone.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My largest basal rate is 12.5 iu an hour at 13:30 for three hrs, I run six different rates, have reduced some, and left others alone.

Wow, that's a lot.......

Again, didn't think the pumps on offer un the UK could deal with those amounts.....

I have six rates also with my largest being 2.5 from 05:30am-07:30am

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow, that's a lot.......

Again, didn't think the pumps on offer un the UK could deal with those amounts.....

I have six rates also with my largest being 2.5 from 05:30am-07:30am
My lowest rate is 1.45 and I run one of 8ius wish I had small rates, but my body doesn't like my insulin

KateMeg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @johnpol forgot to ask what sets are you using ?

I ask as I was using mio sets and getting lumps, soreness and red marks which would last days, the Cavlon worked but it was still irritating me due to the plastic, so changed to sure t's and change sets every 2 days, I still get soreness from time to time but much better than the mios.
I have been on the pump for nearly three years now and it is brilliant, it has changed my control immensely, but the last few weeks I have been developing redness around the canula site after just a day. I do a full set change every two days because of the amount of insulin I have to use (240-280 units a day), I'm just wondering out loud if the amount of insulin is irritating the site, which has never happened before. And before anyone mentions it yes I know that it is a vast amount of insulin, but I am massively resistant to insulin, even when I retired from strength sports and lost a lot of weight I was still in the 200iu club ( must be just me). I was wondering if I should try daily canula changes? but this would increase my infusion set needs. The sites don't hurt as such they just feel hard underneath. It is a bit of a quandary. I see my Consultant in a couple of weeks and I will be bringing it up with them.

The only other possible solution is go back to daily injections to rest the sites???? Sorry for going on.

Take care everyone.
Have you tried using a different angle canula? I have the same issue with straight canulas but the 30 degrees never give me any problem.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried using a different angle canula? I have the same issue with straight canulas but the 30 degrees never give me any problem.
I haven't , but I will ask when I'm next at the hospital. funnily enough I have just done a set change and the site isn't as red as some of the others, maybe it was just a temporary issue for me but the tips given are very much appreciated.