Reactions: elisa02 and flexi06

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
This is going to be a short list:
Fats: olives, olive oil, seeds, nuts, avocados, coconut oil
Other stuff: lettuce, cabbage, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts and other above ground veg. Plus tomatoes, courgettes, aubergines, squashes, onion in moderation.
Fruit: berries in moderation.

What to cook:
Stir fries, using the coconut oil.
Ratatouille type dishes with the mediterranean veg and olive oil.
Salads with avocado and olive oil.
Vegetable soups.

Have a look at the Diet Doctor site. While the recommendations focus on meats etc., if you cross out the things you don't want to eat, there will be other things that I haven't thought of.
Sally

Edit: I forgot mushrooms, I knew there was something else!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: cdpm

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
need very simple information
on how to LOW CARB. eat
with no milk dairy eggs or meat
or beans(legumes) or grain or fruit
and using mostly unprocessed foods

or a link to this info.?
or a simple list of foods?
How low do you want to go?

Reactions: flexi06 and cdpm

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i do well on 50 grams carbs
IMO your big challenge will be to consume enough protein, (which I believe to be very important), since all vegan forms of protein come with carbs attached. Of course others consider that eating low protein doesn't matter as long as you consume enough fat. Personally I was vegetarian and would like to be still, but now I am restricted to low carb I can't imagine how I would manage without eggs, cheese, cream, fish and free range chicken.

Reactions: flexi06

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
i feel gross after my animal foods consumption
and the images in my mind
its getting harder to ignore

i just needed enough info. before
i stopped all that
i dont tend to come up with enough
info. with my own searches

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
i wouldnt even mind having some beans for protein
but my vegetables can easily go to 50 grams
of carbs even choosing the low carb ones
and 1/2 cup of the beans i like are 20 carbs
so i dont know how to do both and be at 50 grams carbs

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i wouldnt even mind having some beans for protein
but my vegetables can easily go to 50 grams
of carbs even choosing the low carb ones
and 1/2 cup of the beans i like are 20 carbs
so i dont know how to do both and be at 50 grams carbs
Yes, that's the problem. I'd love to be eating beans and hummus for protein, but I just can't fit them into the very low carb diet I need for health. I tell myself that any living creature does what it has to do in order to survive. Unfortunately, in order to survive I need to eat animal protein. I refuse to buy anything that is not free range and that's the best I can do in my particular circumstances.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the images in my mind
its getting harder to ignore
I agree, but don't forget, all agriculture harms, displaces and kills off wild creatures. Ideally we would all be eating vegan organic, but even then, because there are just too many of us, we would be destroying the other inhabitants of this world. IMO we can't separate ourselves from the species we belong to and we can't find a way to disown the harm it does, however pure a way of life we adopt. We could drive ourselves mad trying.

MStreet89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
need very simple information
on how to LOW CARB. eat
with no milk dairy eggs or meat
or beans(legumes) or grain or fruit
and using mostly unprocessed foods

or a link to this info.?
or a simple list of foods?

I’ve just had the similar issue since recently very nearly going vegan. I’ve now started eating a bit of salmon or tuna and eggs a lot more.

I appreciate your decision though to not want to eat any meat/fish. Have you considered any quorn products or anything similar? I believe they have milk in but they’re obviously high in protein/low in carbs.

It’s a tough one and something I’m surprised there isn’t much or any mention of it online.

It would seem you’ll need to compromise somewhere if you simply can’t eat the obvious and go for a small amount of carbs in foods like hummus.

Good luck

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Tofu = approx 1g carbs and 12g protein per 100g.

Chia seeds too: 25g protein per 100g, it’s technically high carb, but almost all indigestible fibre - I eat it most days for my breakfast “porridge” (50g chia makes a filling breakfast).

Some of the Quorn products are labelled as vegan, but generally they are suitable for vegetarians only.

If you look at the https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarians-what-have-you-eaten-today.88074/ thread, there are some old posts from a LCHF vegan (Avocado Sevenfold) that may give some ideas.

Personally, I aim for 100g net carbs per day on a vegetarian (not vegan) diet. I find this manageable (and means I can eat beans and lentils), but think I’d struggle on very low carb/keto diet.

Reactions: Enclave and flexi06

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @cdpm how are you getting on? As @Ledzeptt says above Tofu is a great vegan source of low carb protein and very versatile. Nuts and seeds are also a source of protein - just watch the portion size

Are you increasing your fat intake to keep you feeling full?

Do you have a glucose meter to check how your body reacts to foods and if they spike your BG levels?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don’t eat meat or dairy either, although I do like fish and eggs. But it’s hard to keep up enough protein, as I can’t eat them every single day without getting very bored and very poor! So I make dairy free protein shakes with pea protein and almond milk - tastes ok as it is, but it’s nice with caramel flavouring and a little salt; peanut butter; or my absolute favourite - chocolate orange (cacao powder with some orange oil). You can get it in Holland & Barrett or on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2M5qQUN Out of all the plant based protein powders, pea has the highest yield at around 80% by weight. It’s quite handy to add to sauces etc to thicken them a little.

elisa02

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was trying to be vegan, until I discovered pre-diabetes, I went back to eating meat, I'm sad, I have not yet organized to balance diabetes and veganism.

Honeyend

I would look at tofu, Waitrose have a few varieties and they are cheaper than the health food shops.
Quorn, if you buy it plain it should be vegan,
Then there is texturized soya protein, TVP, which is higher in carbs but by the time you hydrate it you have an awful lot for the amount of carbs, Tesco sell it and its very cheap. Make a base sauce with tinned tomatoes to hydrate it, keep in the fridge and then cook up with veg and spices to what ever flavour you want.
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesc...l?TrackingCode=AQYAAAE.QcUCHO8elkOX3XLD63jYzg