LCHF... safe for T1?

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been low carbing (or thought I was low carbing for a while) and recently started LCHF.

Reading around online most of the material I have found refers to LCHF for type 2 diabetics. Is it safe for T1?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It’s done absolute wonders for my BG levels, I have to say. Keeps them nice and steady and mostly within my 4.5-7.5mmol range.

Reactions: dbr10

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
This video I thought was brilliant. This guy is a T1. I dont know much about T1 so would never comment at this stage. However if this video is anything to go by it might be worth a punt! Good luck.

EVERYONE should watch this, its that good.....:)

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Not needed with low carb generally.

I've done low carb on and off for years and its awesome for me. As long as you know how to adjust and carb count you should be fine.
That tattoo is brilliant.......... Smart!

Reactions: Engineer88

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You do a lot of corrections as well tho don’t you?
Some. But no more than when I was eating regular amounts of carbs.

I’m sorting some dawn phenomenon issues at the moment, I wake naturally at around 2 with a rising glucose level that’s easily and quickly dealt with; same at around five. As long as those are dealt with, the rest of the day is pretty even. I slept straight through last night with no rises, a lot of it also depends on my cycle. I sometimes need to correct up with a dextrose tablet or two late afternoon/early evening as I drift downwards. But I’ve only been low carbing a few months, so I’m learning about how my body responded to different foods - and if you chuck a new insulin into the mix, which I have, there’s a lot of variables! My life is pretty random; I’m self employed so my work pattern is very erratic, my family life can be quite full on: no two days are the same.

I’m quite happy to make small corrections though - a unit or a half here and there to keep my glucose levels from getting out of hand suits me and my life very well. I don’t always need to inject with food, so I don’t think I’m taking any more injections that when I was shooting up for carby meals and snacks (and corrections) before. Four or five a day, maybe?

I don’t claim to be any sort of expert on low carbing, I’m just learning how to live in my particular flesh prison :)

Reactions: dbr10

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
correct me if I am wrong- but the links just refer to low carb -not the high fat part.

Do I just do low carbs (without the high fat)? Is that still a keto diet then?

I am trying to drop some of my body weight- so have been slightly uncomfortable with the high fat part. However, my priority is bringing my BG under control so I will whatever is best for me.

Last edited:

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
correct me if I am wrong- but the links just refer to low carb -not the high fat part.

Do I just do low carbs (without the high fat)? Is that still a keto diet then?

I am trying to drop some of my body weight- so have been slightly uncomfortable with the high fat part. However, my priority is bringing my BG under control.
Eating fat doesn't make you fat. It is metabolised differently from carbohydrates. This is counter intuitive, I know. If you get few calories from carbohydrates, you need to get them from somewhere else.
This may be useful, but other people with more experience will be able to advise you. I'm type 2 not type 1.

Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution
Sugar Surfing - how to manage type 1 diabetes

Last edited:
Reactions: CranberryIce

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat very low carb/keto and have been doing so for about 5months now really. I have seen it be absolutely brilliant for my control of my Type 1 Diabetes. My last A1C was 5.9%.

I was diagnosed last October after DKA which I thought was the flu at one point, and put on weight very quickly, going up to 181lbs (12st 13lbs) and just wasn't comfortable with that. I hadn't a lot of weight to lose, but I find it easier to lose and maintain weight eating this way. I am now 172lbs (12st 4lbs) and continuing to slowly lose weight, goal is probably 168-170lbs befor I go on holiday in 3 weeks, which would allow me to indulge a little more and be happy coming back under 175lbs.

Keep going with it and try to concentrate on how you feel more so than how the scales are reading. Perhaps taking measurements too, muscle weighs a little more than fat, so it could be that you are toning up too.

Reactions: CranberryIce

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat very low carb/keto and have been doing so for about 5months now really. I have seen it be absolutely brilliant for my control of my Type 1 Diabetes. My last A1C was 5.9%.

I was diagnosed last October after DKA which I thought was the flu at one point, and put on weight very quickly, going up to 181lbs (12st 13lbs) and just wasn't comfortable with that. I hadn't a lot of weight to lose, but I find it easier to lose and maintain weight eating this way. I am now 172lbs (12st 4lbs) and continuing to slowly lose weight, goal is probably 168-170lbs befor I go on holiday in 3 weeks, which would allow me to indulge a little more and be happy coming back under 175lbs.

Keep going with it and try to concentrate on how you feel more so than how the scales are reading. Perhaps taking measurements too, muscle weighs a little more than fat, so it could be that you are toning up too.

That is a great Hba1c and well done on the weight loss. Definitely think I need to give it longer...

Reactions: JoeT1