My insulin is not working.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to keep posting here, but my insulin has weirdly started working again which is making me a bit worried about hypos now.

The only thing that changed in the last 24 hours was, splitting Lantus dose but not on purpose lol. I was working about an hour away, and in the stress of packing a bag I forgot to change my Lantus cartridge so I only had 16 units/half a dose at 5:30pm-6pm normal time. I took the other 19 units when I got home from work, about 1am. Maybe this was the solution all along!? My nurse told me NOT to split my dose before trying other things first, because too many changes ''can't pinpoint the problem''.

I haven't been eating much the last few days as I've been travelling and working, so yesterday was avocado on toasted rye bread for breakfast, 11mmol after that, then 9mmols before break at 6pm. literally barely anything on my break (I had carrot sticks and a boiled egg and spinach thing at dinnertime, I injected 3 units as I had half a flapjack), and when I got home I was at 5.2, I had a cheese toasted sandwich with kimchi, I only injected 4 units because 5.2 was a little low and I was worried. I woke up at noon, 8.6mmol, injected 4 units for a chocolate rice cake (10g carb), and a Graze snack box, so probably another 10g in that. 4 hours later I'm at 7.6! I'm really pleased with that! Just had some char siu buns and took 6 units, I'll see how it goes later.

This is what I mean about ratios drastically changing and causing me unsuspecting hypos, it's so scary. I want to split my Lantus dose again but I doubt I'll be up at 1am, so I might try taking it at bedtime instead like a lot of people do. Thoughts?

If you think splitting Lantus works, go for it, adjusting to times to suit your lifestyle. Ultimately it may be better to change your basal for another.
I changed a a couple of years ago to Toujeo and think I’m right that Leeds are changing everyone over and ditching Lantus.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I changed a a couple of years ago to Toujeo and think I’m right that Leeds are changing everyone over and ditching Lantus.

Do you know the rationale for this? Problems with Lantus or is Toujeo just better? Can't see why you'd change anyone over if they're happy and stable on a particular insulin....

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know the rationale for this? Problems with Lantus or is Toujeo just better? Can't see why you'd change anyone over if they're happy and stable on a particular insulin....

It lasts longer and gives a flatter line.
I now take one smaller dose and don’t split.
I think I read somewhere that Lantus will be phased out in favour of Toujeo. Which is of course the is the newer version of basically the same thing.

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I want to eventually split mine morning and night, but for now taking 16 units at 5-6pm and another 19 at 11pm or so seems to be working quite well. That 11pm dose keeps me covered in the afternoon the next day. My bolus has been working much better.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Catysmoo, welcome to the hell side of diabetes from someone who has been on insulin for 51 years and counting !!
Having worked shift work in the past and having a close friend with gastroparesis and on insulin for diabetes, I would expect BSL fluctuations much as you describe. Switching from day to night shift can be hell. Switching the doses over never worked well for me. My friend has a real challenge to manage her BSLS with her gastroparesis condition. She manages best on an insulin pump because she can control the input of her insulin much easier and she finds she is less likely to see-saw between highs and lows as you are describing. That said, getting medical advice asap, getting the possibility that you MIGHT have gastroparesis of some degree sorted and getting expert advice on your insulin management sound the very best things to do. As a less urgent matter, getting onto regular daily work shifts would be the ideal there. Best Wishes for a prompt sorting out !!

Reactions: donnellysdogs

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing springs to mind :)
Hi everyone, stranger here. :)

I realise this thread is old but wanted to post anyway.

Hi @Catsymoo :)

I really hope that you're doing much better and that things are a bit more stable now than what they were when you started this thread.

Very soon after I started reading through the thread I realised that you were describing an experience incredibly similar to what I myself have been experiencing recently.

I'm a pretty slow reader and I have skipped a few posts but when I have a little more time I'm going to go through the whole thread properly.

This thread has already helped me considerably and I really just wanted to send my thanks to you @Catsymoo for starting this thread and to all who posted their advice and/or support.

There's lots of really nice genuine, and caring people here and visiting is always a pleasure.

Best wishes to all.

Andrew. :)

Last edited:

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Oh and I had horrendous highs and lows whilst having everything with body going wrong and eating was a nightmare..

However, take heart, things do improve but you need to find time for you each day.

You may well be logging stuff down but you need to really record everything
and this definitely helps to take control back.
Oh and I had horrendous highs and lows whilst having everything with body going wrong and eating was a nightmare..

However, take heart, things do improve but you need to find time for you each day.

You may well be logging stuff down but you need to really record everything
and this definitely helps to take control back.

At first the insulin was great; gradually I had to raise the dose, and the blood sugar numbers are really high, even high from the symphamiles drugs [?]. I am so disappointed and confused.