McDonalds

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went out for a short road trip this morning and hubs wanted a McD breakfast.
Unusually for me I was a bit peckish too so checked out some stuff on their website and ordered a double sausage and egg Mcmuffin with no muffin. Came in a nice plate type box with a knife and fork.. very posh! 3.1g of carbs
While I was there (on the website) I checked out their hot drinks..
Flat white 8.4g of carbs per portion !
Regular latte 13g of carbs per portion.. how do they manage to get so many in a coffee...
Cappuccino 9.9g of carbs per portion..

Need less to say I had a black coffee with some milk which they happily provided..

Low carbers beware...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Whenever and wherever I have a drink in any restaurant, cafe, hotel or pub I always have a plain black coffee. I was brought up on black coffee as that was my dad's drink. I never trust their milk quantities nor their type of cream. Better safe than sorry. Mind you, I did once order a decaff black coffee and was asked by the waiter if I wanted milk or cream. :banghead:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Whenever and wherever I have a drink in any restaurant, cafe, hotel or pub I always have a plain black coffee. I was brought up on black coffee as that was my dad's drink. I never trust their milk quantities nor their type of cream. Better safe than sorry. Mind you, I did once order a decaff black coffee and was asked by the waiter if I wanted milk or cream. :banghead:

At least he didn't ask if you wanted any caffeine in it!

Reactions: Freema and dbr10

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn't know you could ask for it without the muffin - I am partial to a sausage and egg McMuffin and those carb levels aren't bad at all. I have started making my own using sausage and herb patties from Tesco with low carb bagels but good to know that the McD's around the corner isn't entirely off limits!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to think MacDonalds was a BAD choice, for emergencies only (the kind of emergency you get on a long journey when the worms start to bite...)

But recently my attitude has changed. I will cheerfully order a couple of quarterpounders with cheese, peel off the bread and the worst of the sickly tomato/raw onion stuff, and enjoy. Half a pound of 100% beef, a bit of cheese and back on the road in 5 mins. Fuelled for hours. What’s not to like?

I will only drink their water though. None of the other drinks float my boat. So i save the money and use the water I always carry in the car.

Reactions: Freema

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went out for a short road trip this morning and hubs wanted a McD breakfast.
Won't hear a bad word said about McD's there strawberry milk shakes are still the best hangover cure in the world. Even though the sugar might kill you.

For any one old enough to remember the Young Ones. (still one of my favourite jokes)
"what's a good thing for a hangover?" "Drinking heavily the night before."

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We’ve been away the last couple of days and at one point hubby mentioned subway for lunch, eek! All that bread! We didn’t end up there in the end but not before I checked their website. Like Maccy D’s you can have the fillings from your 6” sub of choice served in a box with cutlery :)

Reactions: CranberryIce

smudge75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We’ve been away the last couple of days and at one point hubby mentioned subway for lunch, eek! All that bread! We didn’t end up there in the end but not before I checked their website. Like Maccy D’s you can have the fillings from your 6” sub of choice served in a box with cutlery :)
You can actually make your own salad in subway they are rather filling and low carb and great for the blood sugar

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I must be unique.

I am 70 years old and have never in the whole of my life been in a McD. Nor a KFC. Nor a Costa.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must be unique.

I am 70 years old and have never in the whole of my life been in a McD. Nor a KFC. Nor a Costa.

I’ve never been a McD fan, coerced in there by my kids a few times when they were little, but KFC I’ve been to occasionally and Costa especially I used to love. Costa is now a complete no go area for food, I can’t remember the last time I went in one!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Gimme a hamburger with the lot (as they say here) ... egg, thick burger or two, onions, lettuce, swiss cheese and wrap your laughing gear around that.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

MrTickle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was away this weekend and super hungry before the long motorway journey home, and running late - so decided to go to McD's. I knew it was baaaad but ordered the Double Sausage McMuffin - I wouldn't have coped with cutlery as I intended to eat whilst driving, so included the bread - eeek. Blood sugars measured when getting up was 4.7.

2hrs later I arrived home and nervously grabbed my meter and tested......5.2

Almost didn't believe it, so tried again 5 minutes later - 5.1

So not sure what was going on with that, as bread has always been the thing that spiked me (the only thing since measuring that has noticeably done that).

Wouldn't recommend what I did though - it was just a case of needs must at the time.

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was away this weekend and super hungry before the long motorway journey home, and running late - so decided to go to McD's. I knew it was baaaad but ordered the Double Sausage McMuffin - I wouldn't have coped with cutlery as I intended to eat whilst driving, so included the bread - eeek. Blood sugars measured when getting up was 4.7.

So not sure what was going on with that, as bread has always been the thing that spiked me (the only thing since measuring that has noticeably done that).

Wouldn't recommend what I did though - it was just a case of needs must at the time.

Oh no, don't tell me this, now I want to experiment...!! ;)

It may be that the fat content helped slow down the sugar spike from the carbs. Those are great readings though, glad it didn't cause any damage :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

well with 28g of carbs in total then maybe you got away with it...
https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/product/double-sausage-egg-mcmuffin.html