Injecting 0.5 units

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am sure you have looked down all options but just in case ...
Do you use pre-filled pens or cartridge pens? I think there is more flexibility/options for cartridge pens.

... I'll shut up now :)

No need to shut up lol! Pre-filled and as you say, less flexibility.

Reactions: Kim Possible

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Primed - having shot out the 2u into the air and seen that come out. Means needle is not empty to hold the 0.5u or blocked.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I do that. 0.5 is still just a tiny leak. I suppose it must still ‘get in there’ as it’s already under the skin.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got 1/2 unit pens for both mine - very insulin sensitive. Definitely works (drops me about 3 usually) but I do make sure I shoot 2 units into the air first.

Reactions: mountaintom

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got 1/2 unit pens for both mine - very insulin sensitive. Definitely works (drops me about 3 usually) but I do make sure I shoot 2 units into the air first.

Yeah I’m supposed to be around 6ml per unit too. Although I fear this is changing slowly (honeymoon waning). But that’s a different topic altogether. Thanks everyone!

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really shouldn't (I know, I know..) but I've been using a method of priming the Echo without dispensing any units as there's always a bit left in the cartridge at the end. I find dispensing more than I'm going to inject really wasteful for some reason. Just needs a deft touch and works most of the time.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I really shouldn't (I know, I know..) but I've been using a method of priming the Echo without dispensing any units as there's always a bit left in the cartridge at the end. I find dispensing more than I'm going to inject really wasteful for some reason. Just needs a deft touch and works most of the time.
How do you do that? I’m more concerned with getting the correct dose...

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just dial 0.5 a unit and gently press the plunger enough so that drops start to come through the tip of the needle, return to 0 and redial the dose. I'm not suggesting for a moment that anyone does the same but I found it works for me for small 0.5 unit doses.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I just dial 0.5 a unit and gently press the plunger enough so that drops start to come through the tip of the needle, return to 0 and redial the dose. I'm not suggesting for a moment that anyone does the same but I found it works for me for small 0.5 unit doses.
But you have to throw it away after 28 days anyway so why so careful saving it? Just a thought...

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually finish them a day or two before 28 days. :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But you have to throw it away after 28 days anyway so why so careful saving it? Just a thought...
You are right but I suspect the 28 days has a few days flexibility if the room temp has not been too high.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Cunning plan! But I don’t get through a cartridge in 28 days, even with squirting most of it at the cat....

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What I mean is, does the small drop that flops out of the needle actually get under the skin properly?
Yes it does ! :)
I can try and find out if a 'natural droplet' dripping off the tip of your needle is actually bigger in volume than 0.5 units, as I would not be surprised at all if that is actually the case. But for us very insulin sensitive, then that is the kind of low volumes we need to be able to nudge our bg within optimal range from time to time.

Btw, the most important thing when so insulin sensitive and injecting so low volumes of insulin:
Punch the needle all the way in, down the plunger to inject the desired quantity (and always apply the same level of pressure on the plunger, as that in itself can make a difference of almost 0.5 units by itself, by the difference on pressing hard or just gentle to the stop point).
And then the important point:
Keep your pen and needle in your skin for another 3-5 seconds after having pressed the plunger, so the natural vascularization in your subcutaneous tissue has flushed the injected insulin away from the little 'bobble' that you just injected. As otherwise by removing the needle right after the injection you will notice a bit of your insulin will come seeping out again through the channel the needle just created. And thereby you may loose all or a big proportion of the insulin you just injected.

Aka: if injecting 15 units and 0.5 units seeps back out again, you might not notice the difference as its just like 3.5% of total injected. But if trying to inject 0.5 units and 0.5 units seeps out, then its a 100% loss.

Last edited:

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you say primed what do you mean?
Shoot out in the air 1-2-3 units of insulin to ensure that there is no air sitting in the needle and first part of the syringe.
The air comes in due to "p*V = n*r*T " which is the gas law of fluid mechanics if you are into the technical terms. :)
Essentially, that if your pen is moving into a higher temperature the insulin inside will heat up slightly and the volume of it will expand, so some will come out of the needle tip (e.g. when its in your front pocket in your jeans). Now take you pen out and lay it on the table (in a normal tempered room) the temperature will now drop some degrees and the insulin volume will shrink and result in some air being sucked back into the needle tip. To 'prime' means now that you prepare the pen pump (a pump you prime) to be fully loaded and free of air to ensure the number of units you set your pen to inject will indeed be all there in form of insulin and not air when you press the plunger.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would so love half unit pens but cannot get them.
They are available in all western European countries since first launched back in 1992, as they are a "must have" for controlling Type 1 in infants after we moved onto the concentrated 100 units/mL types of insulin!
But its always the reusable pen type, where you insert an insulin cartridge.

E.g.: HumaPen Luxura HD™ (Eli Lilly and Company), JuniorSTAR® (Sanofi, manufactured by Haselmeier), NovoPen Echo® (Novo Nordisk), and NovoPen Junior (Novo Nordisk)

And they come in all kind of great color schemes and skins. Life as a diabetic is no longer so sterile boring as it used to be! :p
NovoPenEcho_Skins_low.jpg

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
They are available in all western European countries since first launched back in 1992, as they are a "must have" for controlling Type 1 in infants after we moved onto the concentrated 100 units/mL types of insulin!
But its always the reusable pen type, where you insert an insulin cartridge.

E.g.: HumaPen Luxura HD™ (Eli Lilly and Company), JuniorSTAR® (Sanofi, manufactured by Haselmeier), NovoPen Echo® (Novo Nordisk), and NovoPen Junior (Novo Nordisk)

And they come in all kind of great color schemes and skins. Life as a diabetic is no longer so sterile boring as it used to be! :p
NovoPenEcho_Skins_low.jpg
I want one with flames on. My blue one looks a bit boring now...

Toppo97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do different insulin pens have different unit gauges then? I’m on a Novorapid Flexpen and it only goes up in 1’s?