1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Injecting 0.5 units

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by mountaintom, May 14, 2018.

1. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It basically means you're expressing any air out of the needle, if there is some....so dialling up 2 units and pushing them our in to thin air....

2. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It also ensures that the needle is working, believe it or not I have had one or two that haven’t.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I believe you could ask for a 'Novopen Echo' which does 0/5u.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I have an Echo pen and the instructions are, to air shot 2 units, then dial up your dose, I often use 1/2 (0.5) unit for breakfast and it works well at other times too, the 1/2 unit pen is a must for me. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Jez87

Jez87 I reversed my Type 2 · Member

If your insulin sensitive should you need such a small amount of insulin in the first place ?

6. Jez87

Jez87 I reversed my Type 2 · Member

Ps t2 or t1?

7. db89

db89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Absolutely if I wish to avoid going out of range the other way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Robinredbreast

Diakat is Type 1

9. Robinredbreast

What does it mean by insulin sensitivity?
    Insulin sensitivity varies from person to person. Insulin sensitivity describes how sensitive the body is to the effects of insulin. Someone said to be insulin sensitive will require smaller amounts of insulin to lower blood glucose levels than someone who has low sensitivity.

10. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi
    I'm T1. 0.5u will drop me by 2mmol or more so great for sugar surfing or snacks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

You can get a metal pen called a Novopen Echo, which is refillable and uses cartridges of insulin. They dispense half units. You’d need to ask for one from your team, they’re usually given to children, who tend to need smaller doses. I only got mine a couple of months ago, and it’s made such a difference. Half a unit brings me down by about 1.5mmol, so it means I don’t need to let my BG get as high before I can correct/nudge it down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

You can get them for lantus its the sanofi junior clikstar

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. Celsus

Celsus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think your cat would prefer you get the one with the warm red hearts instead! :p[​IMG]

14. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Nonononononononono! Far too girly! Goes shopping for skins....

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Motherhen2014

Motherhen2014 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I do that twice with my extenaside injection you have to get air out before you use it. I do it twice on tissue to make sure it came out.

16. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh yes! 6 units of tresiba and I'm in & out of hypo territory all day. 5 units and I wake up high, but 5.5 is manageable (although 5.25 would be perfect!).

And I'd have major novorapid problems if I couldn't do 1/2 doses - thars why they gave me the pen!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Celsus

And the cat goes into hiding before you return with that flamethrower model... :)

18. Celsus

So are you experimenting like me to get 1/4 size doses by pressing softer or harder on the plunger? :)
    E.g. on the classic NovoRapid flexpen, you can variate the dosing by up to 3/4 of a unit depending on how hard you press.
    Gentle press to the click and you get around 80% of a unit. But if you before that had already pressed it very hard to the bottom when priming, you get exactly 0.5 unit out of that 1 unit dosing pen.
    And going the other way, you can also prime 'normally' and then get like 1.4 unit by pressing the plunger hard when injecting.

Reason being playing around with this is that I travel all the time and find the prefilled disposable pens easier to deal with when not having to handle the cartridges etc next to them. E.g going through the airport scans do not even require you to take them out of your bag or jacket when laying them up on the conveyor belt, etc.

Get one of these babies if you want to join the nerdy fun:
    https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-GEMINI-20-Portable-MilliGram/dp/B0012TDNAM
    0.5 unit of insulin weighs around 0.005 grams, so it needs to be accurate. :wacky:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook