Bullying diabetic nurse

Romeran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been with my medical practice for 3 years. I am 89 years old, type 2 with no complications after 20 years. I am content with slow release Metformin and one tablet Gliclazide taken before breakfast. The nurse bellowed after me as I left my last visit, "Next time, I 'll be taking away the Gliclazide!" This is because the elderly may be more prone to unintended low blood sugars and they may not notice symptoms. She is also "afraid that you will fall and break your hip."
However, not a single question has been asked as to my healthy lifestyle, long term yoga practice and love of walking in the open air. I have good posture, have never yet had a serious fall and want to stay on Gliclazide because I think it is more effective than Metformin. I am willing to take the risk of unintended low blood sugars because I DO so far notice the symptoms and enjoy my food so do not intend to be too strict with diet as that makes me depressed.
I like my doctor so do not wish to leave the practice but do I have the legal right to refuse the demands of a nurse who only sees the illness and not the person behind it?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would also make an appointment to see the Practise Manager and ask if threatening patients is the new form of healthcare that the surgery wishes to promote.

Reactions: dbr10

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree with the comments upthread. Your GP has the final say, who does this DN think she is that she can treat a patient in this fashion?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Your faculties aren't failing you ... do as you wish at your age

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @Romeran I agree with all of the above comments. Your DN obviously doesn't see the amazing person in front of her!! Kudos to you for living such a great life full of activity and pleasure!! Keep up the good work and enjoy your life on your terms!! You are an inspiration:) Blessings/L

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
By the way, congratulations on your Diabetes management. You have probably forgotten more than that nurse is capable of learning.

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been with my medical practice for 3 years. I am 89 years old, type 2 with no complications after 20 years. I am content with slow release Metformin and one tablet Gliclazide taken before breakfast. The nurse bellowed after me as I left my last visit, "Next time, I 'll be taking away the Gliclazide!" This is because the elderly may be more prone to unintended low blood sugars and they may not notice symptoms. She is also "afraid that you will fall and break your hip."
However, not a single question has been asked as to my healthy lifestyle, long term yoga practice and love of walking in the open air. I have good posture, have never yet had a serious fall and want to stay on Gliclazide because I think it is more effective than Metformin. I am willing to take the risk of unintended low blood sugars because I DO so far notice the symptoms and enjoy my food so do not intend to be too strict with diet as that makes me depressed.
I like my doctor so do not wish to leave the practice but do I have the legal right to refuse the demands of a nurse who only sees the illness and not the person behind it?
Not agreeing with any one bullying you and no.ome should speak to you like that but be careful. My dad is almost the same age as you and has been taking gliclazide for nearly 50 years. Last night (luckily he lives with me now) he had a really bad hypo of 1.1. We ended up calling an ambulance and it took nearly 2 hours to get his glucose up to 5. I spoke to his Dr today and he explained that with elderly people, no matter how fit they are, everything is slower ie metabolism and kidney function which is why they are very wary of gliclazide in elderly people. As far as I know he has always had good hypo awareness, just like you do but this was very sudden with no cause that we could identify. He is now off the gliclazide. Your nurse obviously explained things very badly to you but may be speak to your doctor instead?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just make sure there’s not a next time with that particular nurse. I’d make appts with your GP from now on. If they question why you’re not seeing the nurse tell them what happened. As suggested earlier the practice manager should know about this too. I certainly hope I’m as fit as you when I reach your age. Very well done!

Biggles2

@Romeran you sound like you are totally on top of things. You are absolutely right - your DN failed to see the human being in front of her. You were judged, and all she saw was risk. If she had had the professionalism to see you as an individual she might have taken the time to hear about your healthy lifestyle with the yoga and walking (best practices for balance and strength) and she might have been less worried about the fall risk. She might also have elicited your preferences regarding diet. No complications after 20 years? You are an inspiration!

Reactions: Guzzler and dbr10

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @Romeran ,

I commend you on your good health practice & activity. :)
Can i ask, have you been prescribed a blood monitoring device & test strips?
(Forgive me if you have, & mentioned elsewhere on the forum.)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Personly I don't think anyone should be on Gliclazide these days, as there are lower risk drugs that work better. However Gliclazide was about when GPs did their training so is still used a lot.

Hence talk to your GP about all options.

Reactions: Dodo

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
"Next time, I 'll be taking away the Gliclazide!" This is because the elderly may be more prone to unintended low blood sugars and they may not notice symptoms. She is also "afraid that you will fall and break your hip."

An understandable concern on the nurse's part, just very poorly put across. I use to take Gliclazide before breakfast and before dinner. One morning I skipped breakfast (I was late for work), boy oh boy, big mistake, just as well I carried Dextro Energy tablets.

The seriousness of breaking a hip is not to be underestimated, especially as we get older.

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't
This is what I always say; if one learns and manages diabetes well, enjoys life more than those who do not have the condition.

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Not agreeing with any one bullying you and no.ome should speak to you like that but be careful. My dad is almost the same age as you and has been taking gliclazide for nearly 50 years. Last night (luckily he lives with me now) he had a really bad hypo of 1.1. We ended up calling an ambulance and it took nearly 2 hours to get his glucose up to 5. I spoke to his Dr today and he explained that with elderly people, no matter how fit they are, everything is slower ie metabolism and kidney function which is why they are very wary of gliclazide in elderly people. As far as I know he has always had good hypo awareness, just like you do but this was very sudden with no cause that we could identify. He is now off the gliclazide. Your nurse obviously explained things very badly to you but may be speak to your doctor instead?
Best wishes for your dad ❤️

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Something else to consider as you are 89 years old.

Unless you already have complications of diabetes, it is likely that any complications will take many years to become a real issue if you allowed your BG levels to be a little higher. Therefore the benefit compared to the risk of using drugs like Gliclazide becomes less with age.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you had any problems with low blood sugars? If not then she is being completely unreasonable.

My instinct when first reading was to vote against the nurse completely. However after reading @Lally123 response I'm inclined to argue that it might be a good idea to talk to the doctor about possible alternatives.

My father had mature onset insulin dependent diabetes, and as he got older he would have more frequent, and more extreme,hypos.

It would be such a shame to reach such a great age, and be so fit, and have that fitness undermined by an extremely low, unexpected hypo.

I agree the nurse made her case very badly, in fact she didn't make a case at all, but making an appointment with the doctor, and talking through the alternatives sounds like a good idea to me.

Tannith

BANNED
Does this low blood sugar risk in the elderly apply only to those taking glicazide or is it a general thing?