Mate go Keto and you'll never need to inject insulin.....

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
...so just been talking to my project manager who's been on this Keto diet thing for a month and he say's he's been watch some internet TV show on Keto and apparently there's a woman who has stopped taking insulin due to a successful Keto diet. He went on to say that I should give it a go and slowly stop taking insulin.

I did try and explain that as someone who's been T1 for 40 years there's noway I can go without insulin as my body no longer produces any. I tried to explain that the case he referred to might have been T2 who needed very little insulin and the extremely low carb Keto diet may have eliminated that need. But he was adamant she was a T1, at which point I just did my NovoRapid and started eating chicken and rice.

Seriously where do these people come from......

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
...so just been talking to my project manager who's been on this Keto diet thing for a month and he say's he's been watch some internet TV show on Keto and apparently there's a woman who has stopped taking insulin due to a successful Keto diet. He went on to say that I should give it a go and slowly stop taking insulin.

I did try and explain that as someone who's been T1 for 40 years there's noway I can go without insulin as my body no longer produces any. I tried to explain that the case he referred to might have been T2 who needed very little insulin and the extremely low carb Keto diet may have eliminated that need. But he was adamant she was a T1, at which point I just did my NovoRapid and started eating chicken and rice.

Seriously where do these people come from......
the funny emoji was for your last sentence not the content of your post ;)

Reactions: kev-w

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of out neighbours when I was a kid had her jaws wired to assist weight loss. She could slide a Walkers ready salted in between her teeth but could barely manage to make herself understood.

Perhaps you could advise similar, "mate, get yer jaws wired, you'll never say anything daft again"

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
But he was adamant she was a T1

Maybe she was Type 1.5, or Type2 but had been told by a doctor she was type1. Given that it is common for doctors to assume type1 without an antibody (or cpeptide) test, we can't say that someone who believes themselves to be type1, would not be able to stop all insulin on a keto diet.

(Also, there has been a few proven cases of people who tested positive for the anti-bodies who reversed their diabetes with keto, but they had very recently been diagnosed and are clearly the exception..)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
If it walks like a duck...quack

Reactions: gemma_T1

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe she was Type 1.5, or Type2 but had been told by a doctor she was type1. Given that it is common for doctors to assume type1 without an antibody (or cpeptide) test, we can't say that someone who believes themselves to be type1, would not be able to stop all insulin on a keto diet.

(Also, there has been a few proven cases of people who tested positive for the anti-bodies who reversed their diabetes with keto, but they had very recently been diagnosed and are clearly the exception..)

I don't ever remember having an antibody test :p so believe I'm type1 but know I can't stop taking insulin whatever diet I eat, and I think those cases you call proven will have been due to the honeymoon period experienced by t1s where the pancreas can stutter along for a while if carbs are sacrificed, so it's more delayed than reversed, in my opinion of course.

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This is very encouraging, can you provide a link to read on this please.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is very encouraging, can you provide a link to read on this please.

They are reported in the Diabetes Unpacked book. But no one who is on inslin should stop taking it until their BG meter says it's not needed, even then, there could still be a risk of DNA.

But what we do know is that a lot of people with type1 find they get much better control with very low carb diet regardless of the very low possibility of 'reversing' type1 with such a diet.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't ever remember having an antibody test :p so believe I'm type1 but know I can't stop taking insulin whatever diet I eat, and I think those cases you call proven will have been due to the honeymoon period experienced by t1s where the pancreas can stutter along for a while if carbs are sacrificed, so it's more delayed than reversed, in my opinion of course.

I would never expect you to be able to stop inslin regardless of diet, as once all the bete cells have been killed the process cannot be stopped. It could be the honeymoon being extend for a very long time, we will not know until there is funding for researcher to look at what is going on with these people.

But there is research into a drug to stop the immune system killing bete cells, and other autoimmune conditions have been proven to impove when the trigger is removed. I hope over the next 10 or 20 years what the trigger for type1 will be better understood, clearly it is not the same single trigger in everyone.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But what we do know is that a lot of people with type1 find they get much better control with very low carb diet regardless of the very low possibility of 'reversing' type1 with such a diet.

Very low possibility? There is NO possibility whatsoever of reversing t1 whichever diet is chosen.

Ducks.jpg

To say otherwise is quackers.

boboblck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m type 1 and had the pleasure of a taxi man arguing that his mate reversed type 1 completely by traveling to turkey and a doctor treating him with some saffron concoction for a month.. now he’s ‘cured’ and I should apparently ‘sort it out and google it’ as I’m ‘uneducated’. No bother mate, sounds good. Il get straight on it

Last edited:
Reactions: mountaintom

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah yes, taxi drivers. World Authorities on everything, except possibly navigation...
We should all sack every consultant the world over, and install taxi drivers in their place. Instant T1 cure!!!!

Last time I sat in a taxi I asked him to drop me off at the local hospital.
My father in law had just been admitted for his last few days of life.
I was a bit upset.
The lovely taxi driver spent the entire journey reminiscing about his every bad experience with this hospital, from a mate's misdiagnosis, to his mother's allergic reaction. There was also mention of having his dog put down, and how we should do it to humans too.

Tact personified, eh?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think we all know our own bodies best.

I don't know a type1 alive who hasn't missed an injection in error and saw its effects on the body.
However I've seen some type1s keto but it keeps their reduced insulin from becoming resistant.
I don't know any member on no insulin when passed their honeymoon period.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seems strange.

Gradually on Keto I have been lowering my insulin dosages as and when needed I could all change in the morning though, so to say it's cured for that person would be fairly strange. For example.

December 2017
Basal 8am - 9Units
Basal 8pm - 13Units

May 2018
Basal 8am - 3Units (could be 4, but have had a couple hypos last couple of days with the warmer weather)
Basal 8pm - 7Units

Drop of 12Units of Basal Insulin is significant, barely take any fast acting insulin anymore, more so on weekends, one during the week of 1 unit perhaps. Do I think it'll continue to keep going down until I need to no longer take it? Nope, but i'm happy for it to keep going down for a number of reasons. Weather may well effect it. I am very active also, walking between 15,000-20,000 steps a day.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Don’t knock the research being carried out in Wisconsin @kev-w; the results may not happen for a good few years, and it may not work at all, or if it does then only a few may benefit, but at least they’re having a go!

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don’t knock the research being carried out in Wisconsin @kev-w; the results may not happen for a good few years, and it may not work at all, or if it does then only a few may benefit, but at least they’re having a go!

The study, reported in the June 27, 2013, issue of the journal PLOS ONE, describes a small sequence of DNA that, when injected into the veins of diabetic rats, create insulin-producing cells that help normalize blood sugar levels and perfect the regulation of glucose metabolism. It is the first known study to demonstrate how a DNA-based insulin gene therapy has the potential to treat type 1 diabetes.

“Even we were surprised that a single injection could provide perfect glycemic control for up to six weeks,” says Hans Sollinger, the Folkert O. Belzer Professor of Surgery at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health. “After receiving the therapy, the diabetic rats had insulin and glucose levels that resembled exactly what you would find in healthy animals.”

The DNA sequence of the therapy works by sensing an increase in glucose concentrations in the body (such as after a meal) and then, with the help of a glucose inducible response element (GIRE), prompts the injected DNA to produce insulin, similar to the way normal pancreatic cells do. But instead of targeting pancreatic cells, the therapy exclusively targets the liver.

“We chose the liver as the ideal target for this therapy because of its ability to regenerate,” says Sollinger. “In order for the therapy to be effective, the DNA needs to enter and attach to millions of cells, so the liver’s ability to replace dead cells was an obvious advantage. The treatment essentially makes the liver function like a mini-pancreas.”

Obviously I'm a cynic, and expect this will end up in the same ball hooks cupboard most of these things belong in, but as you say, "at least they're having a go"

Early evidence of the potential success of the therapy inspired Sollinger and one of his colleagues, Tausif Alam, to start Insulete Inc., a private research firm dedicated to improving the treatment of type 1 diabetes. Insulete, which stands for “insulin obsolete,” developed and patented the minicircle DNA used to treat the diabetic rats. The Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (WARF) owns the patent on GIRE and leases it to Insulete Inc. for their ongoing research.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
None of this research claims to give any hope to someone who is post homeynoon. Some of it is aimed at high risk children trying to stop the autoimmune attach before it even becomes detectable by BG testing.

We are seeing many more autoimmune issues in children then even 20 years ago, I expect that at some point the triggers will be better understood and then progress will be made on preventing many comditions. A better understanding of the triggers for asthma or nut allergy may lead to a better understanding about what triggers lead to the start of type1.