Smartwatch & Libre connectivity?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have an iPhone 8+ that will scan my Libre, and know that we can’t scan using a smartwatch yet...

Does anyone know if you can read the data from the LibreLink app on an Apple or other a Smartwatch via the connection between phone and watch? My Pebble watch just died, so I’m looking for a replacement - and if i can glance at it to see my most recent reading, it’d save having to dig my phone or scanner out of my bag/pocket/wherever - useful for when in the car, working, at gigs etc.

I don’t have the Bluecon nightrider widget that sits on the sensor to continuously send data to the phone, btw, although I’m considering it.

@Scott-C - do you have any ideas?

Reactions: Connie’s Dad

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Mel dCP I am pretty sure that I have seen someone link a Sony smartwatch to read the Libre. Takes a bit of doing. There is a Facebook page called "Libre Geeks" they are very knowledgeable and would tell you

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yeah, I’m a member of that. It’s all a bit baffling! My mum has offered to buy me a new watch for my birthday in August, so I was just wondering what to suggest. I might just take the p and tell her I’d like an Apple Watch ;)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suppose it depends on whether the Libre link app has a smart watch equivalent.......for example the xdrip app does and has limited functionality with smart watches.....like looking at graphs etc.....

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There's no route for Libre data via LibreLink to an on wrist smartwatch because the Libre doesn't transmit data continuously.

Your only option is to get Bluecon or MiaoMiao to do that for you.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's no route for Libre data via LibreLink to an on wrist smartwatch because the Libre doesn't transmit data continuously.

Your only option is to get Bluecon or MiaoMiao to do that for you.

If there was an app, could the data collected by the phone not be displayed on a watch though.....that should be possible.....

it wouldn't be able to go straight to the watch, only via the phone...

Reactions: Abyc

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks guys. I know that as I don’t have a transmitter, I won’t get continuous data. What I want to know is, can data that is on my phone from physically scanning the sensor be shown on a watch? I just want to be able to glance at my wrist to see what the result of the last scan was, really.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@ringi - I just want to be able to glance at a watch to see what the last figure I scanned was. I’m not always in a position to be able to look at my phone or scanner to check.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys. I know that as I don’t have a transmitter, I won’t get continuous data. What I want to know is, can data that is on my phone from physically scanning the sensor be shown on a watch? I just want to be able to glance at my wrist to see what the result of the last scan was, really.

Pretty sure xDrip has that ability......

going by @Scott-C accounts......he's used it......that doesn't help the non bluecon/miao miao users though....lol...

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Mel dCP , I only used librelink for a couple of weeks, got xdrip running on my androidwear smartwatch by fluke/random button pressing without knowing much about what I was doing as it was my first evaah smartwatch, and I know nada about iphones as I always found Steve Jobs' penchant for polo necks kinda creepy, so I can't suggest much here!

You're basically just looking for a sort of post-it note reminder on your watch of what your last physically scanned reading was, whenever it was, without having an up to date cgm style reading?

Can't you just stick a post-it note on the watch? Nah, just kidding....

Can't think of a way of doing it automatically but maybe there's a Heath Robinson workaround with a few button presses.

I don't know what iphones and Apple watches are like, but on the android phone and watch I've got, if I was to scan libre, then put something in the phone calendar as an appointment for today and title it as, say, 5.6, or whatever my last scan or bg was, I can set one of the sub-dials or mini-dials or whatever they are called on the watch face to show calendar items. It doesn't show with a glance, I'd need to tap the sub-dial to bring up the entry, and then I'd see the 5.6, but there's maybe other watchfaces available which show the whole entry at a glance - or build your own - like I say, I know nothing about smartwatches. Scan, open calendar, type reading, save, sent to watch.

Maybe there's a way to text yourself the reading and have it show up as a notification on the watch?

Or, leave the phone aside altogether, open the timer app on the watch, set it to time down from 05:07, stop when it times down to sub 7 mins at 05:06: 55, there's you're 5.6. Scroll between the timer and the watch face as accords.

Automatic ways, hmm?

In xdrip+, even if you've not got a transmitter, there's an option for using it to physically scan as you would do with librelink, and as it's also got a function to send data to an androidwear watch or pebble, there's a veeery slim chance that might do it, but (a) xdrip is an android gig, so not much use for you Steve Jobs fans, and (b) the nfc scan function in xdrip is littered with warnings about it being very experimental and might kill the sensor, so I've never tried it and have no idea whether any scanned data would be sent to a watch.

I don't know whether Spike has a similar scan feature, absent transmitter. It's the new kid on the block for ios, based, as far as I can gather, largely on xdrip+ and seems to work with blucon and miaomiao so maybe worth a look for ios fans. https://spike-app.com/#features

Miaomiao say it works with Spike and Spike works with ios so maybe worth looking at.
https://www.miaomiao.cool

If you're swithering about getting a transmitter to send to a watch via a phone, I'd say go for it. I was in two minds about whether I needed bg on my watch, but it's been surprisingly useful for the sort of situations you mentioned earlier.

Don't know what the watchfaces look like in the ios/spike/miaomiao world, but in androidland, I've got this pic on my watch below telling me number, direction arrow, delta (change between last two 5 min readings), time since last 5 min read so I know when the next one is due, graph which can be tapped to rescale hours shown, and on the white line long press to show a card with general statistics such as day average, time in/high/low, and SD.

(Note to self: take another photo which doesn't show an underbolused Sunday curry and lager bounce to 7.7...)

20171105_150404.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks so much for all that info @Scott-C - I now think I’m going to get a bluecon and a second hand Pebble (any recommendations on which?) instead of an Apple Watch! My Pebble is one of the first crowdfunded ones and it’s served me very well.

Was the curry good?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks so much for all that info @Scott-C - I now think I’m going to get a bluecon and a second hand Pebble (any recommendations on which?) instead of an Apple Watch! My Pebble is one of the first crowdfunded ones and it’s served me very well.

Was the curry good?

Hi, Mel, yeah, it's a regular Sunday thing for me, fish pakora and lamb jalfrezi, don't even need to order, the staff just say, "the usual?" when I walk in!

I'm not familiar with Pebble watches, but xdrip+ has an option for connecting to them but it's android.

If you want to stick with the shiny iphone, I wasn't sure if spike had a pebble option but the article at link below says it does and talks through setting it all up.

Interestingly, he also mentions a hack to run a number to an apple watch using a hack involving the calendar, so looks like I wasn't too far off the mark in my Heath Robinson suggestions!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp...._libre_nightrider_realtime_cgm/?source=images

Reactions: LooperCat

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Scott-C I’m going to have to have a curry for dinner now :)

Well, I’ll be getting a nightrider in a month or so, all being well. I’ve already got Spike, signed up for that as soon as I got my Libre on permanent prescription in the hope that I’d get one straightaway and forgot about it. My current Pebble does support it, and I have a watchface downloaded that’ll work with it. The Pebble does still work, it’s just that the screen glitches out now and again (quite a lot) and I need to hold some buttons down for a minute or so to get it working again. I’ll look for another, but the current setup should work ok for the time being. I’ll upgrade hardware as and when I can!

Thanks so much for your help x

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
So I just found out that the Pebble SDK let's you write in C(I loathe Java that I assumed it forced upon you), which was a pleasant surprise. Despite my dislike of watches and jewellery and stuff that gets in the way I'm actually considering getting one for hacking purposes.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So I just found out that the Pebble SDK let's you write in C(I loathe Java that I assumed it forced upon you), which was a pleasant surprise. Despite my dislike of watches and jewellery and stuff that gets in the way I'm actually considering getting one for hacking purposes.
I’d have more luck trying to programme it in Welsh. I’m not very good at this sort of thing :D

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
I’d have more luck trying to programme it in Welsh. I’m not very good at this sort of thing :D
Java naming conventions and Welsh have similarly long words, so you'd probably feel right at home. ;)
In all seriousness though, writing C gives you far more control and is the language of choice for embedded(including all the devices you don't even know about but use on a daily basis) stuff and general hardware hacking, almost everything on your computers and phones etc has its roots in C, Java is one of those abstractions on top of it that limits your control but it has its benefits, even though those benefits are now largely irrelevant and/or surpassed by other languages that don't yet have the market dominance of Java.

Sorry, a bit of a rant that I suspect few if any will know or care about.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Java naming conventions and Welsh have similarly long words, so you'd probably feel right at home. ;)
In all seriousness though, writing C gives you far more control and is the language of choice for embedded(including all the devices you don't even know about but use on a daily basis) stuff and general hardware hacking, almost everything on your computers and phones etc has its roots in C, Java is one of those abstractions on top of it that limits your control but it has its benefits, even though those benefits are now largely irrelevant and/or surpassed by other languages that don't yet have the market dominance of Java.

Sorry, a bit of a rant that I suspect few if any will know or care about.
I’m interested, I just don’t understand it! But I can bore on for hours about silversmithing and dressmaking ;)

anniehi41

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Mel, just to say there is a fairly simple fix for the Pebble if it’s the display fault of the lines breaking up the picture? There’s a fix video on YouTube if it is that fault.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Mel, just to say there is a fairly simple fix for the Pebble if it’s the display fault of the lines breaking up the picture? There’s a fix video on YouTube if it is that fault.
Oh, I’ve not seen that! I’ve been holding down the right up and down buttons for a couple of minutes and that resets it for a bit. Do you have a link, by any chance? I google for help a,lot, but for some reason it never occurs to me to look for video.