What do u guys think about diabetic chocolate?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since 2016 the 'suitable for diabetics' labelling used in the UK has been removed, and food is no longer permitted to be labelled as such.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news/suitable-for-diabetics-food-labels-outlawed-from-today

So, here in the UK at least, we shouldn't have any confusing labels on the shelves.

OF course canny marketing can always use similar words and spellings to imply things, but I guess this is where we need to be canny customers :D

I just try and avoid processed foods for the most part, and when I do eat processed, I scrutinise the label.

Incidently, DIY, delicious nutella-type spreads are surprisingly easy to make, and they can be low carb, too. ;)
https://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/sugar-free-homemade-nutella-dairy-free-low-carb/
nutella6-1-of-1.jpg

Reactions: urbanracer

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The weird thing is chocolate in small doses dosent spike my bloods as much compared to 15-20g of porridge

This could probably be explained as dark chocolate is high in fat, mono-unsaturated fat. not just sugar. That's why it's best to go for the good stuff 80% coco or higher.:bookworm:
:bag:

Mr Xu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a version that has 6.6 g/100g sugar and with 44g/100g but 36g of these 44 are maltitol. Maltitol is a polyol which doesn’t affect your blood sugar levels but to much of it will make you fart or run for the toilet. The taste is close to Nutella but as far as I know it is only sold in Sweden.
IMG_1526634975.193344.jpg

Reactions: gemma_T1

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since 2016 the 'suitable for diabetics' labelling used in the UK has been removed, and food is no longer permitted to be labelled as such.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news/suitable-for-diabetics-food-labels-outlawed-from-today

So, here in the UK at least, we shouldn't have any confusing labels on the shelves.
Frank's Diabetic Ice Cream is still on sale (I was given some by a well-meaning friend!) - how do they get away with it? Especially as it says this *Made using fructose which has a low glycaemic index and can be used as an alternative sweetener by diabetics contains mono-saccharides 6g and di-saccharides 5.4g The list of ingredients is enough to put me off - I'd much rather have a small portion of a really good traditional ice cream.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Frank's Diabetic Ice Cream is still on sale (I was given some by a well-meaning friend!) - how do they get away with it? Especially as it says this *Made using fructose which has a low glycaemic index and can be used as an alternative sweetener by diabetics contains mono-saccharides 6g and di-saccharides 5.4g The list of ingredients is enough to put me off - I'd much rather have a small portion of a really good traditional ice cream.

That article I linked to in my last post suggested that if customers see foods labelled as 'suitable for diabetics' after the end of 2016, they should report it.

Good luck with that! Trading Standards, I assume, but am not sure...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That article I linked to in my last post suggested that if customers see foods labelled as 'suitable for diabetics' after the end of 2016, they should report it.

Good luck with that! Trading Standards, I assume, but am not sure...
Maybe it should be labelled as "Franks Will Make You Type 2 Diabetic Ice Cream"
Who'd a thought that ice cream could get diabetes...

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Ewwwww!!!!! Diabetic chocolate tastes just like cardboard, I think cardboard tastes better :)

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't
I wouldn't consume anything which says Diabetic on it.

Reactions: dbr10

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I would rather have a regular chocolate bar, at least I know what I'm eating and can give insulin accordingly if I really fancy it..

Reactions: therower

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks
The weird thing is chocolate in small doses dosent spike my bloods as much compared to 15-20g of porridge (carbs)

I suspect it's relative, depending on how small the chocolate was, it's carb content. Lidl's 81% one square of has 3.0 g of carbs. which is fine for me when I want to have some chocolate with a black coffee.
porridge is going to be 60% carbs... and if you add something to make it go further....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect it's relative, depending on how small the chocolate was, it's carb content. Lidl's 81% one square of has 3.0 g of carbs. which is fine for me when I want to have some chocolate with a black coffee.
porridge is going to be 60% carbs... and if you add something to make it go further....

Last week, on holiday, I had a small square of Belgian milk chocolate on two separate days. Neither time did it do anything whatsoever to my levels - I was wearing a Libre so I know this for sure.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Last week, on holiday, I had a small square of Belgian milk chocolate on two separate days. Neither time did it do anything whatsoever to my levels - I was wearing a Libre so I know this for sure.
Holiday, Belgium, chocolate, no BG responses.... all sounds pretty good to me. :)
I really is going to have to get one of these Libre things....

Reactions: Bluetit1802

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
This thread reminded me of something I'd been meaning to share. (Sincere apologies to @steveis36 for hijacking)

Whilst in the Philippines earlier this year, I happened to see this stuff in a few supermarkets being marketed quite aggressively as Nutrition Powder forDiabetics.

upload_2018-5-20_18-43-11.png

upload_2018-5-20_18-57-33.png