What do u guys think about diabetic chocolate?

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just wondered what you guys think of Diablo's diabetic chocolate and cooky range?
623b50c6aec19d95aa44871fef999b4f.jpg

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
When you see the words 'No Added Sugar' be very wary. What are the carb values in these things?

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you see the words 'No Added Sugar' be very wary.
Hi @steveis36
No Added Sugar means no sugar added on top of the sugar that's already there as @Guzzler says be very wary.

Just looking at the label I can see its got 30g of sugar in the no added sugar chocolate spread for diabetics.:banghead:
The same size jar of Nutella has 21g of sugar, less than this "no added sugar diabetics version".:meh:
:bag:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It also contains PUFAs and Trans fats. Not for me, either.

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was only asking if any one had tryied it!
Simple as!
And if its that bad should they really be selling as a diabetic treat?

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Simple as!

49% carbs per 100g. Or 2.5g in a 5g spoonful.
I am not sure I have tried this one but i have tried some and it was a lovely treat didnt really impact my BG.
I put it on some Low Carb bread which had more carbs in it than the spread.

Check on Amzaon - look for KETO rather than Diabetic and decide for yourself how you feel about additives and polypols.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Simple as!

Hi @steveis36 ,

On the whole? The product (in discussion.) seems to focus on the low sugar side of stuff?

Everybody & their dog knows we "can't have sugar." So Diablo have a "solution to our "problem."
Diablo just don't seem to understand the irony of the longer acting carbohydrate content effects in the recipe..
On "paper?" It's a diabetic friendly treat. In reality? It may not be for the average perveyour of BG management.

I clocked the serving suggestion on the label. ;)

Please don't feel slighted by the the guys. You have highlighted a "find" which may work for some as an occasional treat with careful monitoring of the effects on BS.

We're all looking for that "Nirvana", minimal impact treat... :)

Kind regards.

J>

Reactions: Guzzler

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Anything with "Diabetic" on the label is usually best avoided.

Sad, but true.

Reactions: dbr10

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Simple as!
You actually asked us what we thought about it..now you know!
AVOID like the plague..

Reactions: dbr10

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You actually asked us what we thought about it..now you know!
AVOID like the plague..

... Or see it's effects using a BG meter. One maybe unpleasantly surprised.

If so? don't wast it. Use as mouse trap bait. ;)

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I spent my childhood eating laxative.... :stop:;)

Good old Polyols! Made that mistake once at Thorntons with some diabetic friendly treats-Never again,the toilet pan took some stick I can tell ya! :yuck::jimlad:

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondered what you guys think of Diablo's diabetic chocolate and cooky range?
623b50c6aec19d95aa44871fef999b4f.jpg

I wasn't aware of that range, but generally I'd agree with the prevailing sentiments here. Very high carb so best avoided, but if you have extreme restraint and put a tiny bit on some low-carb bread and find that satisfying then it could be incorporated into a reasonably low-carb diet. Then again if you have the restraint to use tiny amounts, you might as well have normal stuff - jam, marmalade etc as that won't be much worse in such small quantities - maybe 1g more carbs per serving.

It wouldn't work for me. I once bought a jar of really high quality lemon curd (Tiptree) - just a tiny 3g serving on some low carb bread was heaven and it had such a strong taste you didn't need much. However, because it was heaven, and there was a big jar of it in the fridge, and I have no self control, I ended up throwing it out in an effort to stay alive.

If the photo is of the hazelnut chocolate spread because that's something you particularly like, it seems there are a few recipes for 'keto' versions on the Internet.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's not something I'd bother buying, but, in fairness to the vendors, I can't see anything on their site advertising it as chocolate for diabetics. Point me to it if I've missed it.

They just seem to be riding a few zeitgeisty memes about "no added sugar" and funky packaging to appeal to hipsters/Guardian readers, and have chosen a name, diablo, meaning "devil" to chime with that.

The fact that the words diablo and diabetes happen to have the first four letters in common is entirely coincidence.

It doesn't seem to me that they are aiming this at diabetics at all. If they were, they would have been more upfront about it on their website but I can't see it mentioned anywhere at all.

I think we sometimes see the world through a T lens too much and assume it's addressing or related or to do with T in some aspect when it's not being aimed at us at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: gemma_T1

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wasn't aware of that range, but generally I'd agree with the prevailing sentiments here. Very high carb so best avoided, but if you have extreme restraint and put a tiny bit on some low-carb bread and find that satisfying then it could be incorporated into a reasonably low-carb diet. Then again if you have the restraint to use tiny amounts, you might as well have normal stuff - jam, marmalade etc as that won't be much worse in such small quantities - maybe 1g more carbs per serving.

It wouldn't work for me. I once bought a jar of really high quality lemon curd (Tiptree) - just a tiny 3g serving on some low carb bread was heaven and it had such a strong taste you didn't need much. However, because it was heaven, and there was a big jar of it in the fridge, and I have no self control, I ended up throwing it out in an effort to stay alive.

If the photo is of the hazelnut chocolate spread because that's something you particularly like, it seems there are a few recipes for 'keto' versions on the Internet.
Thanks
The weird thing is chocolate in small doses dosent spike my bloods as much compared to 15-20g of porridge (carbs)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I go along to Lidl and buy their 81 percent cocoa chocolate once in a while - fairly low carb and I seem to be able to eat just a little at a time.
I have not eaten porridge since diagnosis.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would consider an alternative such as Whole Earth peanut butter (between 4.9 and 7 grams of carbs per 100), mash a few hazelnuts, grate in some dark chocolate and mix. I have done this with almonds and pecans - delicious and less than 10 grams of carbs per 100, so minimal per generous portion.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'd sooner buy the real thing and take the blood sugar hit but hasten to add I don't do that though I do avoid most things marketed as diabetic.