Low carb pizza base recipe?

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I'm getting really bored of eating / making soup / salad for my lunch every day. I need something that's quick to prepare and easy to eat at my desk, like a sandwich, but not a sandwich! I thought pizza may be a good idea as you can really vary the toppings. Does anyone have a low carb pizza base recipe that doesn't use a zillion expensive ingredients? Or know of a mix you can buy? I have seen a recipe on the internet which uses cauliflower, has anyone tried this?

Thanks!

Jessie. x

hallii

I have never tried the cauliflower!

You can make low carb bread and use the dough as the base, but you will still have to watch how much you eat.

Try a search on here for the low carb bread recipe, if you can't find it let me know and I will PM it.

H

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi, I would also do a search for the 'Pizza effect' all that cheese and olive oil can play havoc with your insulin slowing up stomach emptying by several hours, you may find it tricky to bolus for.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a couple of lo-carb pizza bases for ya - check it out:

THIN AND CRISPY PIZZA CRUST
====================================
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
3 eggs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon basil, optional
Toppings of your choice *

Mix the cheeses, eggs, garlic powder and basil well. Line a 16-inch pizza pan with parchment paper or nonstick foil. Evenly spread the cheese mixture in the pan, almost to the edge, making it as thin as possible. Bake at 450º 15-20 minutes until golden brown. I suggest checking it after about 10 minutes. If it's getting very dark on the edges and top, turn the oven down to 400º and continue baking until brown all over and no longer pale on the bottom. Pat off any excess grease then add your toppings. Keeping the oven rack in the center position, put the pizza under the broiler until the toppings are hot and any cheese you added is melted and bubbly, about 4-5 minutes.

Makes 8 servings

PIZZA HUT (ish) PIZZA CRUST
==============================
5 jumbo eggs
3 cups mozzarella cheese
1 cup mexi-melt cheese
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
½ teaspoon fennel seeds (crushed)
½ teaspoon basil
½ teaspoon oregano

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
Heat oven to 450 degrees.
Line a large rectangular baking pan with parchment paper. Using a spatula , spread egg/cheese mixture evenly.
Place pan in oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes to half an hour, or until cheese/egg mix is browned and firm.
When done, set out to cool. Loosen the crust on the parchment paper.

Haven't tried either myself yet - but the thin base one sounds like something I would dig a lot. Word on the street is that BOTH hold up to the pizza treatment really well. I suppose as long as they stay firm/rigid, they'll be great for eating with your hands.

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahhh, thanks guys, I'm going to try the thin and crispy one tomorrow. Hope the word on the street is right patch - I'll let you know ;)

Jessie. x

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Sounds like a cheese omelette to me Patch :lol: :wink:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Only if you don't pay attention to the QTY's...

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
We love the cauliflower pizza crust and also make garlic 'bread' with it.'
For a thin crust crunchy pizza base try using flaxseed/linseed meal. I add salt, garlic or onion powder, fresh or dried herbs and slowly add enough water to make a soft dough like mixture that will hold together in a ball.
Place between two sheets of baking paper and roll into desired shape and thickness with a rolling pin. Remove top sheet of baking paper and slide crust and bottom sheet onto a baking tray and pop into a hot oven. When golden remove from oven and cool on a rack and it will crisp up some more as it cools. Top with your fav toppings and place under griller--if using meat it must be cooked first. Cooked crusts can be frozen.
I also make crunchy cracker biscuits for dips from the same mixture. Experiment as this is an easy ingredient to use. For a lighter result I add in some almond meal. I microwave my biscuits, so quick!
Alison

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Thanks for this ! I bought some milled flax seed yesterday at H&B , wasnt quite sure how to make a pizza base with it so thats just great thanks again x

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Patch's thin and crispy pizza base has been a success! The only thing is it's reeeally cheesy which makes it a bit salty, so next time I think I'll top it with peppers and mushrooms rather than salami and olives as it was just bit too much!

May also try the flax seed recipe - how many carbs are in this Alison?

Many thanks,

Jessie. x

Grazer

Hi Jessie. Bit pricey, but I made a pizza in the normal way using "carbalose" flour from the low carb megastore. Really nice, and very little effect on BS. (I got 11.1 after normal pizza, 6.4 after same weight of carbalose one) Also tried some low carb tortilla wraps (good for sarny replacement). Really nice. I pigged on three wraps in one go and BS only went to 6.8. I'm not on medication.
Malcolm

saz1

I make pizza on a frying pan with the next mix:
2-3 tbsp soya flour
1 egg
1 pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

Heat the frying pan on medium heat, oil lightly and spread the mix on the pan. Cook for a minute or two and flip over. Top with what you like and pop under a preheated grill for a few minutes. I like serrano ham, green peppers and olives or ham and fresh herbs under a layer of cheese.

Reactions: barriebanana

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've seen soy flour in the super market but never tried it. How does it compare to plain flour? Easy enough to bake with?

saz1

Hi Patch,

the soya flour is sort of yellow in colour and a bit nutty in flavour and very good for muffins and cakes especially. However, it has no stretchiness so for a bread dough it needs some gluten added, but for the frying pan pizza it is ok on its own. I have made bread with it solely and it turned very crumbly and slicing was impossible really.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Flaxseed is a very high fibre grain with very low, net carbs. The carb count will vary from brand to brand and how much you need/use in your mix. One source says that there are no net carbs in one cup of flaxseed meal while another says 0.75g. It is extremely low but has some great additional benefits like omega 3 but that would probably only be useable if eaten raw as heat can kill of the good things in seeds.
It has litte effect on my blood sugar.
A

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Soya Flour has 19.7g carbs per 100g (Full fat) and 28.2g per 100g (Low fat) on average.
That's Total carbs which we use in the UK.

Ordinary Flour on average has around 60 - 80g per 100g depending on the type.

Source: Calorie Carb & Fat Bible 2011

louiseb

google soya flour, I was going to buy this to bake with then was told by a member of this site to google it. not for me to tell what to do up to them to decide what they eat but my own personal conclusion is I would NOT eat soya flour too much contraversy about possible side affects especailly regarding metabolism of diabetics.

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello,

I'm getting really bored of eating / making soup / salad for my lunch every day. I need something that's quick to prepare and easy to eat at my desk, like a sandwich, but not a sandwich! I thought pizza may be a good idea as you can really vary the toppings. Does anyone have a low carb pizza base recipe that doesn't use a zillion expensive ingredients? Or know of a mix you can buy? I have seen a recipe on the internet which uses cauliflower, has anyone tried this?

Thanks!

Jessie. x
Hello, try diet doctor.com, quite a few pizza recipes and one which uses cauliflower as a base, I have made this and it was in my opinion good, even husband and son liked it. Needs to be eaten straight away though.

barriebanana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I make pizza on a frying pan with the next mix:
2-3 tbsp soya flour
1 egg
1 pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

Heat the frying pan on medium heat, oil lightly and spread the mix on the pan. Cook for a minute or two and flip over. Top with what you like and pop under a preheated grill for a few minutes. I like serrano ham, green peppers and olives or ham and fresh herbs under a layer of cheese.

This sounds good I am putting it on my
"Must try" list
Thanks