Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Never been mentioned at my health screening. It is currently higher than my lowest reading which was 3 with a HDL of 0.97. However I am still in the category of Grossly Obese and waiting for an appointment with a Weight Loss Team.

Perhaps you might be better trying to lower your triglyceride level rather than your total cholesterol levels.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never been mentioned at my health screening. It is currently higher than my lowest reading which was 3 with a HDL of 0.97. However I am still in the category of Grossly Obese and waiting for an appointment with a Weight Loss Team.
That's could be because probably 90% of HCP's haven't the first idea about cholesterol but just prescribe statins at the drop of a hat.

Triffo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At my yearly check with the Consultant I was prescribed a hugely increased dose of atorvastatin - 80mg. The Consultant said he wished to protect my kidneys. He had in front of him some dire results: eGFR (39) and (related) creatinine (108) of a blood test I’d had done for the hospital. The fact that I wasn’t told these results at the time’s another story - grrrrrrrr. They came through to me eight weeks after the appointment. I think there’s been an admin problem when people started leaving because of wage cuts. More grrrrrrrrr.
Back to those frightening results and the submarine size statin pills.
Cheerfully the Slippery Slope results were contradicted by a set of results in a test undertaken later for the DSN - eGFR 77. Whoop!
Another test, six weeks after the cheerful one, confirmed that kidney function was fine.
Relief!
However, I’d been downing the horse-pill statins for some weeks; I then halved them when I received the happy result.
I’m still getting the occasional night time cramps and daily joint and muscle aches that began when I was taking a high dose. I take care to maintain hydration.
Who’s taken statins that are kind to them?
I know there’s a big discussion about the need for statins but as I’ve had T1 for 48 years now I’m keen to keep my kidneys working as well as my eyes, my cardio vascular system, my peripheral nerves, etc etc. I want to eliminate all possible threats to a decent, active life. If some bombproof scientific evidence arrives that statins make no difference then I’ll stop taking them but I’ve not yet seen any.
So what I’m eager to find out is whether anyone else has had bad side effects from statins.
And has anyone discovered a statin that hasn’t evinced side effects?
Hello. I have a been prescribed a few statins over the years before I was diagnose with diabetes. Simvastatin was my first which I took for some years until it became ineffective. I then changed to another one, which I’m really sorry I don’t remember the name of, which didn’t work at all. I was then put on Atorvastatin which was very good at keeping my total cholesterol down. On a visit to my family in Australia in mid 2015 I had a very interesting discussion with my mother who is a retired hospital pharmacist about the statin my father was on for his raised cholesterol. My father is 97yo, is not diabetic (although two of my brothers and I are) and has great difficulty walking. The deterioration in his legs has taken a number of years and my mother is convinced that the cause of his decline in mobility is directly connected with his taking of Atorvastatin. On my return home to the U.K. I took this up with my GP and hospital diabetes team and informed them of my concerns about the loss of muscle in my legs and cramps etc. (I had been taking Atorvastatin for approx 18 months) and between us agreed that I could come off the statins. My legs have improved and I have worked at improving my muscle tone by going to the gym twice a week and attending Pilates. It was not plain sailing with my cholesterol as the total figure gradually rose to 7 ( 2017) but I have persisted without the statins and with diet and exercise got is down to 6.5. I do feel better in myself and physically stronger not being on the statins but I’m aware that what applies to me may not work for other people. Apologies in advance for such a war and peace response.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also have been on the merry go round of statins. Was taking statins for high cholesterol. But, they never reduced my cholesterol. All i had were the side effects. Which i'm sure those of you, who have taken statins. Are fully aware of. Also, due to all the bad and negative press regarding statins. I also choose to stop taking them. Until i had a heart attack last November. Straight away the doctors prescribed statins. I more or less had a blazing row with the doc. Telling him that they've never done me any good. And i considered the fact that i wasn't diabetic. Prior to taking the stains. And that in my opinion, taking statins had contributed to the onset of T2 diabetes. I pointed out all the side effects that i had suffered from. And when i mentioned, that while taking statins i was unable at times. To raise my arms up to my head. To wash my hair in the shower. Instant and very quick reply from the Doc. Was, " put him on Rosuvastatin " . A type or brand i had never taken before. So far, no significant side effects. At least i can wash my hair. Without any problems. And they seem to be keeping my cholesterol stable. Personally myself, i would prefer not to take them. But having had a heart attack. I don't really have a lot of choice. I have to play ball. So ask your doc if you can try them. And see how you get on with them. You never know. They might just work for you .

Last edited:
Reactions: Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi I have been on Statins since they first came out. Tried them all - Simvastatin did nothing for me. The new Pravastatin likewise did nothing to lower cholesterol/lipids. Atorvastatin gave me very bad leg cramps - but was very effective at lowering cholesterol/lipids to normal. Been on Rosuvastatin now for many years and is by far the best one (for me) - only the occasional leg cramps when I stretch - cholesterol/lipids Normal range.

Aha, pravastatin, might try that. Will see the gp about it, it’s worth a try. Your reaction to atorvastatin was similar to my recent one. And prava- can’t afford the clothes or handbags but could carry the statin in my good old common or garden bag.
Seriously though, Rosuvastatin sounds feasible. Worth trying a few before giving up.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
When I was forced to go to the DESMOND course the nurse told me statins saves lives. I asked her for the RCT on that information She couldnt provide one. That says it all in my book

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Prava? That’s not handbags, it’s the Russian newspaper, silly moo! Maybe all those years of taking statins have affected my cognitive function after all.

Reactions: mountaintom

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It seems from all your replies that most of you are either not convinced statins are necessary or have agreed to take them because of conditions which call for any help available.
I shall continue to tussle with the arguments before deciding what to do.
It’s interesting that general opinion and experience is reversing earlier attitudes.

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
At my yearly check with the Consultant I was prescribed a hugely increased dose of atorvastatin - 80mg. The Consultant said he wished to protect my kidneys. He had in front of him some dire results: eGFR (39) and (related) creatinine (108) of a blood test I’d had done for the hospital. The fact that I wasn’t told these results at the time’s another story - grrrrrrrr. They came through to me eight weeks after the appointment. I think there’s been an admin problem when people started leaving because of wage cuts. More grrrrrrrrr.
Back to those frightening results and the submarine size statin pills.
Cheerfully the Slippery Slope results were contradicted by a set of results in a test undertaken later for the DSN - eGFR 77. Whoop!
Another test, six weeks after the cheerful one, confirmed that kidney function was fine.
Relief!
However, I’d been downing the horse-pill statins for some weeks; I then halved them when I received the happy result.
I’m still getting the occasional night time cramps and daily joint and muscle aches that began when I was taking a high dose. I take care to maintain hydration.
Who’s taken statins that are kind to them?
I know there’s a big discussion about the need for statins but as I’ve had T1 for 48 years now I’m keen to keep my kidneys working as well as my eyes, my cardio vascular system, my peripheral nerves, etc etc. I want to eliminate all possible threats to a decent, active life. If some bombproof scientific evidence arrives that statins make no difference then I’ll stop taking them but I’ve not yet seen any.
So what I’m eager to find out is whether anyone else has had bad side effects from statins.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Fairygodmother
In your shoes I would be asking my consultant why they think that statins may help your kidney problems. If they can;t come up with a decent answer for that one (which I imagine will be the case) then you have your answer. If they do have a reasonable case than maybe go away and do some checking or ask us to have a look for you.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have been taking Rosuvastatin (Crestor) for the last four and a bit years.

It was prescribed by the cardiologist while I was in hospital, and have been taking it ever since. with no problems at all.

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After about 3 years taking Statins found I was getting very painful leg cramps in both legs at night - Doctor insisted that I try a different type - 5 types later with cramp getting worse - I asked what the evidence was to support their use. - was told it is part of the NHS guidelines for treatment of long term T1 Diabetics. Then was also told that the leg cramps were not a side effect of Statins as there were no recorded side effects.!

About ten years ago, I told my Doctor that based on what she had told me I was stopping the statins. Then told if cramp was anything to do with statins the cramps would stop in 3 to 4 days..
Six weeks later the cramps started to decrease in intensity.

I have never found a basic justification for the use of Statins and now both my doctor and consultant do not even suggest taking statins.
My cynical mind just makes me think that statins must be a real good earner for drug companies and rarely an essential medication.

Now T1 for just over 60 years - no complications - so I must be getting it right most of the time!
So - do your research and ask if statins are worth the side effects!

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been taking Rosuvastatin (Crestor) for the last four and a bit years.

It was prescribed by the cardiologist while I was in hospital, and have been taking it ever since. with no problems at all.
I would second this but not from taking it personally. A friend of mine was recommended rosuvastatin by a mutual cardiologist friend. She is slim healthy active but has familial hypercholesterolaemia with a total cholesterol of 9. She took simvaststin with bad side effects, stopped that, spoke to our friend who said that rosuvastatin is his preferred choice as it is much less likely to cause side effects. I'm still weighing up whether to take them or not, but if I do, that's the one I will ask for.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Fairygodmother
In your shoes I would be asking my consultant why they think that statins may help your kidney problems. If they can;t come up with a decent answer for that one (which I imagine will be the case) then you have your answer. If they do have a reasonable case than maybe go away and do some checking or ask us to have a look for you.

Yes, I will, especially as subsequent tests indicate that I don’t have kidney problems.
I’m not sure, however, whether it was medication or hydration that influenced the tests. The Consultant prescribed amdropline as the one and only blood pressure reading taken at the consultation was high. One the day I drove the 16 miles to the hospital where the diabetes clinic’s based there had been crashes and road closures. Moreover he only took one blood pressure reading even though it’s been demonstrated by the practice at the surgery that it’s best to take three readings and use the best of the three. I don’t know about anyone else but my blood pressure’s always lower by the third test.
I suspect that the eGFR may also be influenced by hydration. I walked about three and a half miles to the local hospital phlebotomy dept for the test for the Consultant and had forgotten to take my water bottle with me. The result showed moderate to severe kidney disease. The second test was taken at the surgery: I’d driven there and was well hydrated beforehand. I walked to the hospital again for the third test and even though I had a water bottle with me I waited until I was in the queue before I drank from it: this test showed good kidney function but not as good as was indicated by the second test.
However, I also have to factor in the amdropline that may have lowered my blood pressure and affected the second test. It certainly lowered it to a point when I was frequently faint and dizzy!
By the third test I’d been advised that I no longer needed the amdropline or the higher dose of atorvastatin. The sample for the third test was taken after I’d reduced the atorvastatin and stopped taking the amdropline. The eGFR was not as good as at the second test.
If I were to do a proper analysis of the effect of each of these factors I think I’d need to have nine more tests, three for each of them. Argh.

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If some bombproof scientific evidence arrives that statins make no difference then I’ll stop taking them but I’ve not yet seen any.

And that's what you have to bear in mind, all those quack videos are ok (well, I'd guess they are if I could be bothered to watch them, but I prefer Donald Duck :p) but you do worry that people who have a clinical need for them avoid taking them due to the 'fear' frequently sold, I mean there's never been any clinical trials done or anything.
I'm lucky my cholesterol is at 4, with the correct hdl/ldl readings, my consultant mentioned statins when I rose to 4.8 but cutting out processed meats such as bacon soon lowered it.

I see there's a few links with the keto diet and high cholesterol readings.

Good luck with it anyway.

Triffo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I will, especially as subsequent tests indicate that I don’t have kidney problems.
I’m not sure, however, whether it was medication or hydration that influenced the tests. The Consultant prescribed amdropline as the one and only blood pressure reading taken at the consultation was high. One the day I drove the 16 miles to the hospital where the diabetes clinic’s based there had been crashes and road closures. Moreover he only took one blood pressure reading even though it’s been demonstrated by the practice at the surgery that it’s best to take three readings and use the best of the three. I don’t know about anyone else but my blood pressure’s always lower by the third test.
I suspect that the eGFR may also be influenced by hydration. I walked about three and a half miles to the local hospital phlebotomy dept for the test for the Consultant and had forgotten to take my water bottle with me. The result showed moderate to severe kidney disease. The second test was taken at the surgery: I’d driven there and was well hydrated beforehand. I walked to the hospital again for the third test and even though I had a water bottle with me I waited until I was in the queue before I drank from it: this test showed good kidney function but not as good as was indicated by the second test.
However, I also have to factor in the amdropline that may have lowered my blood pressure and affected the second test. It certainly lowered it to a point when I was frequently faint and dizzy!
By the third test I’d been advised that I no longer needed the amdropline or the higher dose of atorvastatin. The sample for the third test was taken after I’d reduced the atorvastatin and stopped taking the amdropline. The eGFR was not as good as at the second test.
If I were to do a proper analysis of the effect of each of these factors I think I’d need to have nine more tests, three for each of them. Argh.
I find this comment really intriguing. I have been through two prolonged periods of chronic kidney failure. (Polycystic kidney disease) I had a kidney transplant in 1999 and a 2nd in 2013. I would think that bad kidney function would not change because of the amount of hydration one had taken just before a test. I have the eGFR test every three months as part of my ongoing monitoring but have never considered good hydration as something to consider beforehand. Mine has always been below the normal (60) and is running at around 50. I will try hydration before my next set of tests to see if the results change. It is interesting what tips you pick up on this forum. In relation to statins giving protection to the kidneys none of the various transplant teams at the hospitals I have been under over the last 28 years have ever used this reason with me so I’m not convinced that it is a valid reason to take statins.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I find this comment really intriguing. I have been through two prolonged periods of chronic kidney failure. (Polycystic kidney disease) I had a kidney transplant in 1999 and a 2nd in 2013. I would think that bad kidney function would not change because of the amount of hydration one had taken just before a test. I have the eGFR test every three months as part of my ongoing monitoring but have never considered good hydration as something to consider beforehand. Mine has always been below the normal (60) and is running at around 50. I will try hydration before my next set of tests to see if the results change. It is interesting what tips you pick up on this forum. In relation to statins giving protection to the kidneys none of the various transplant teams at the hospitals I have been under over the last 28 years have ever used this reason with me so I’m not convinced that it is a valid reason to take statins.

Let me know if hydration makes any difference. I’m just trying to make sense of very different readings - the first was a panic inducing 38 and the second a celebration inducing 77. I’d had a smaller difference before, about five years ago: the first was 59 and the second was 66.
Maybe it’s a duff programme on the scanning system for analyses at the lab? The test results were wrongly assigned, could be anyone’s? Just me and my weird kidneys?
The more I look at the inconsistencies, more questions I have. Like you, @Triffo, I thought kidney decline followed a smooth path.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hope you stay healthy and live long @Triffo. You’ve had a rough deal with poly cystic kidney disease but 50’s not bad.
It’s interesting that your renal team have never mentioned statins.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
And that's what you have to bear in mind, all those quack videos are ok (well, I'd guess they are if I could be bothered to watch them, but I prefer Donald Duck :p) ly sold, I mean there's never been any clinical trials done or anything.
I'm lucky my cholesterol is at 4, with the correct hdl/ldl readings, my consultant mentioned statins when I rose to 4.8 but cutting out processed meats such as bacon soon lowered it.

I see there's a few links with the keto diet and high cholesterol readings.

Good luck with it anyway.

If there have been no clinical trials (there have, Rory Collins is sitting on the results of his industry sponsored research) then why choose to take that drug?