Telling Off!

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke-up with a reading of 5.7, which is good for me it is usually 6.3, (not been diagnosed with pre-diabetes), and had breakfast and it rose from 5.7 to 9.5 after 1 hour - I tested because I felt ill will headache, spaced out feeling and exhausted, had to lie down, then tested at 2 hours it was 6.8, but is still in the 6's all day with only water and no food - I assumed that below pre-diabetic level we would not get symptoms of high blood sugars. So I just have to accept that my body was having a go at me for feeding it poison at breakfast.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Woke-up with a reading of 5.7, which is good for me it is usually 6.3, (not been diagnosed with pre-diabetes), and had breakfast and it rose from 5.7 to 9.5 after 1 hour - I tested because I felt ill will headache, spaced out feeling and exhausted, had to lie down, then tested at 2 hours it was 6.8, but is still in the 6's all day with only water and no food - I assumed that below pre-diabetic level we would not get symptoms of high blood sugars. So I just have to accept that my body was having a go at me for feeding it poison at breakfast.

Every day during the last 5-6 days my BG has gone up by about 1.5mmol/L between FBG and before lunch reading - without eating anything, just my usual mugs of tea with a tiny bit of cream, so not necessarily, but what poison did you feed it? At least your BG might have an excuse :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What on earth did you have for breakfast that caused that rise?

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone remember the old Ready Brek advert it was called 'Central Heating For Kids' and the kids on the advert would be walking to school with orange glows around them to keep them warm? Well Ready Brek certainly made me warm and clammy and ill this morning, plus I had non-refined sugar on it - but according to my GP there is nothing to worry about.

Reactions: dbr10

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone remember the old Ready Brek advert it was called 'Central Heating For Kids' and the kids on the advert would be walking to school with orange glows around them to keep them warm? Well Ready Brek certainly made me warm and clammy and ill this morning, plus I had non-refined sugar on it - but according to my GP there is nothing to worry about.
I always thought it made them radioactive... so now you know it's best avoided completely.. bit like sugar..

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always thought it made them radioactive... so now you know it's best avoided completely.. bit like sugar..
Yep Ready Brek has gone in the food bin - I was trying out the non refined sugar as I usually use sweetner, and was told by a lady who deals with diet as part of her profession; that sweetners are bad and the non refined sugar is better - obviously not!

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We live and learn. Thank goodness for glucometers!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get a new GP.

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Get a new GP.
I didnt tell the GP about todays episode, they wont do anything until I am in the diabetic range, as I have spoken to both GP's at the practice regarding the hb of 41.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So Dr Baldrick and his associate have a very cunning plan; so cunning, in fact, that you could put a tail on it and call it a fox. They are both going to wait until you deteriorate before they do anything about it. I expect you can see the problem with this approach; even though, I take it, that you yourself are not a medical professional.

How about if they actually suggested an approach which tried to stop you from getting to that stage.

Many of use try a low carbohydrate diet to reduce blood glucose spikes. I might be something you should consider.

Have look at www.dietdoctor.com or Jenny Rhule's book Blood Sugar 101.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Kittylitter my body gave me a similar telling off when I tried porridge and spiked to 13. I thought I could manage it as I was planning to go on a long walk. The planned walk was impossible with that level of lethargy but I did get out when levels dropped back down.

HBA1C is an average over 3 months, so a lot of high's can be hidden in that average. I definately notice spike's around double figures which is another good reason to avoid them!

Reactions: Prem51

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Kittylitter my body gave me a similar telling off when I tried porridge and spiked to 13. I thought I could manage it as I was planning to go on a long walk. The planned walk was impossible with that level of lethargy but I did get out when levels dropped back down.

HBA1C is an average over 3 months, so a lot of high's can be hidden in that average. I definately notice spike's around double figures which is another good reason to avoid them!

My doctor had no idea porridge could produce s spike like that in a diabetic patient; or even that the HbA1c with disguise the spikes.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My doctor had no idea porridge could produce s spike like that in a diabetic patient; or even that the HbA1c with disguise the spikes.

Apparently according to my surgery, I'm not diabetic so I shouldn't test and I need to eat more slow release carbs!