swollen ankles and very stiff legs

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
for some time now my ankles swell up and when i walk im like a robbot because my legs are so stiff all the time im type 2 on insulin has anyone else had this

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
for some time now my ankles swell up and when i walk im like a robbot because my legs are so stiff all the time im type 2 on insulin has anyone else had this
Probably something you should ask your nurse or doctor about, could be a sign of something other than diabetes?

tsouza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps diabetic diet with reduced or no salt added could help. I had similar problem with swelling in ankles, and was told it was water retention due to excess sodium. I still take Lasix every morning.

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps diabetic diet with reduced or no salt added could help. I had similar problem with swelling in ankles, and was told it was water retention due to excess sodium. I still take Lasix every morning.
thank you for your replys i see the nurse this week i will have a chat to her about it , a few people said about water retention i will get it checked out thanks sue

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds rather like the issues I have with water retention/oedema, the first of which I've had intermittently for many years and from well before I was ever diabetic. For me I belieive water retention has in part been a combination of blood pressure, being on my feet for long periods and hot weather, but the oedema has only been a problem since last year and is far worse than just my fat ankles.

As a temporary measure try to keep your feet up whenever possible - as my GP once charmingly put it "keep you feet higher than your bum"... it will help reduce the swelling for the time being. But definitely get things checked out as already suggested.

Robbity

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds rather like the issues I have with water retention/oedema, the first of which I've had intermittently for many years and from well before I was ever diabetic. For me I belieive water retention has in part been a combination of blood pressure, being on my feet for long periods and hot weather, but the oedema has only been a problem since last year and is far worse than just my fat ankles.

As a temporary measure try to keep your feet up whenever possible - as my GP once charmingly put it "keep you feet higher than your bum"... it will help reduce the swelling for the time being. But definitely get things checked out as already suggested.

Robbity
Hi thank you for your reply im putting my feet up as much as i can i cant walk around to much at the momment my legs hurt but i will get it checked out this week i will let you know how i get on thanks again sue

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it possible this could be related to taking a statin? Certainly stiff joints can be a side effect. Hope you get to the bottom of it.