Aldi Dips

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This evening's adventure in Aldi revealed something I don't remember seeing before, close to their tubs of hummus. They've got quite a few flavours of "dip", I checked them all and they are all quite low carb, about half the carbs of the hummus.

I bought an Onion & Garlic one, 7.5g carbs per 100g, or 3.7g carbs in a 1/4 pot "serving". I've just tried a tiny bit now and it's pretty good. Not sure it will go with celery as well as hummus does, but I'm sure there must be uses for it.

Also I noticed they are doing packets of 3 small tubs of a variety of hummus: Classic, Lemon & Coriander and Red Pepper. They are more like 10g of carbs per pot/serving but I find I can sometimes get away with hummus.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love their dips. And can eat a whole one, in one sitting, with oodles of cucumber to dip in it, and rolled up slices of ham...........yummy : ))))

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love their dips. And can eat a whole one, in one sitting, with oodles of cucumber to dip in it, and rolled up slices of ham...........yummy : ))))
I like their curry sauces in a jar. Had one tonight, with diced beef, carrrot. onion, spring greens.and dollop of mango chutney and 2 poppadoms. With cauli rice all courtesy of Aldi. Did not eat the single use plastic though. Had a second helping to use up the rice, as one does, with the same trimmings. This big pigout gave me a 0,5 mmol rise at 2hr, followed by a 1,4 mmol/l drop at 4 hr. So all in all my average was 5.6 mmol.l

They do a good Carbonara in a jar , and they used to do a good Spanish Chicken cooking sauce. Their pasta sauce in a jar is also lowish carb as is their Lasagne sauce. These all are 10% carbs or less and low sugar too.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always found that my blood glucose was fine with hummus (used to take it to work for lunch and eat a pot with a spoon).
Pulses and lentils always spike me, but the combo of fat and protein and carbs in hummus means it was slow enough release to fuel me until my evening meal without any significant rise in blood glucose.

Then (sadly) I learned a bit more about the different types of fats (sigh) and I took hummus off the menu on those grounds alone (mournful sniff).

Tescos (nearest supermarket to us) does a variety of different hummuses (hummusi?) with either rapeseed or sunflower oils. Nowadays I am somewhat reconciled towards rapeseed oil, so might consider that one OK. But I haven't checked their dips, so can't comment on those...