Coffee/beverages

HR-Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just curious, as a D2 I find myself enjoying and craving coffee with full cream a little more than before the D2 life. Is this something that is going on with me or do you find yourself drinking more coffee? I find the mornings in the last few months a little tougher to get going and the second cup tends to get me in the groove. Maybe coffee is not your thing, is there something you drink that you would like to share.

Thanks

Reactions: lindijanice

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've gone from 1 coffee with cream to 4-5 a day and now have cream in tea as well (ran out of lactofree and I think I prefer the cream).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I just have decaff coffee with cream in a morning, and about 5 cups of tea with dash of skimmed milk during the day (also decaff). Other than that, water.

HR-Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've gone from 1 coffee with cream to 4-5 a day and now have cream in tea as well (ran out of lactofree and I think I prefer the cream).

Bulkbiker, thanks for sharing. I have been doing the same. I find it helps be deal with skipping snacks and dulls the hunger pains.

HR-Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just have decaff coffee with cream in a morning, and about 5 cups of tea with dash of skimmed milk during the day (also decaff). Other than that, water.

Thanks for sharing Bluetit, I find the tea is great, however, it seems to make me more hungry for some reason.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for sharing Bluetit, I find the tea is great, however, it seems to make me more hungry for some reason.

I have never been hungry since I started LCHF. I have never in my life snacked or grazed. It wasn't something people did when I was growing up. I eat enough fat and protein to stop any hunger. It was carbs that made me feel hungry. Not having a sweet tooth helps I suppose.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My morning ritual is making myself 4 mugs of chai. 4-5 tsps Brookes Bond or similar tea, ½ tsps T plus masala, 4 sticks of cinnamon, 20-25 green cardamoms crushed in a mortar and 2 x star aniseed ditto. Sometimes I add cloves and ginger too. A full kettle of boiling water into the saucepan and let it boil for ... dunno 10 min? Drink with cream. Repeat 4 times. Go "Yummy!!" after each sip.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I’ve always loved coffee, especially lattes and cappuccinos. Just before I was diagnosed I got a lovely coffee maker that produces the lovely milk foam for these coffees, I couldn’t bring myself to banish it to a cupboard so I do use it most days, I have a cappuccino at breakfast time, my guilty pleasure. I also use it to make a black coffee which I then have with cream, usually when I get in from work. The rest of the day i drink water, I used to hate it but now I drink lots, during the warmer weather I have been flavouring this with slices of lemon, lime, strawberry, sprig of mint. I am also now partial to a bullet proof coffee now and then.

Reactions: Gemsydodger

HR-Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I’ve always loved coffee, especially lattes and cappuccinos. Just before I was diagnosed I got a lovely coffee maker that produces the lovely milk foam for these coffees, I couldn’t bring myself to banish it to a cupboard so I do use it most days, I have a cappuccino at breakfast time, my guilty pleasure. I also use it to make a black coffee which I then have with cream, usually when I get in from work. The rest of the day i drink water, I used to hate it but now I drink lots, during the warmer weather I have been flavouring this with slices of lemon, lime, strawberry, sprig of mint. I am also now partial to a bullet proof coffee now and then.

Jaynet, thanks for your reply. My first cup of coffee in the morning is usually with a tsp of coconut oil with full cream plus a sprinkle of cinnamon. I drink a lot of water throughout the day, I must admit it does get boring. Last cappuccino for me was before the diagnosis.

HR-Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My morning ritual is making myself 4 mugs of chai. 4-5 tsps Brookes Bond or similar tea, ½ tsps T plus masala, 4 sticks of cinnamon, 20-25 green cardamoms crushed in a mortar and 2 x star aniseed ditto. Sometimes I add cloves and ginger too. A full kettle of boiling water into the saucepan and let it boil for ... dunno 10 min? Drink with cream. Repeat 4 times. Go "Yummy!!" after each sip.
Briped, thank you for sharing your recipe, I am going to give it a try. I have all of the spices on hand.

HR-Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have never been hungry since I started LCHF. I have never in my life snacked or grazed. It wasn't something people did when I was growing up. I eat enough fat and protein to stop any hunger. It was carbs that made me feel hungry. Not having a sweet tooth helps I suppose.

Bluetit, consider yourself lucky not to crave snacks :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Briped, thank you for sharing your recipe, I am going to give it a try. I have all of the spices on hand.
You're very welcome. Please let me know how it went. You even have the chai masala? If not, then just add more of the other spices.

HR-Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does a nice Bourbon count?
Funny thing is since my diagnosis I have not had one drop of alcohol. I read it does not mix with the metformin. I do have a bottle in the kitchen that used to make bourbon steak.

Hotpepper20000

Funny thing is since my diagnosis I have not had one drop of alcohol. I read it does not mix with the metformin. I do have a bottle in the kitchen that used to make bourbon steak.
I rarely drink, even before diagnosis but it nice to have a taste now and then.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hey @jayney27 not meaning to derail the thread but this current picture of you is great!! You can certainly see the effects of LCHF - keep it up - you look wonderful - and happy:) Cheers/L

Bullet coffee is my new BFF since doing the May Fasting Challenge!! I usually have three big mugs of coffee/day - read somewhere that it helps to lower BS in Type2s:):) Cheers/L

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @jayney27 not meaning to derail the thread but this current picture of you is great!! You can certainly see the effects of LCHF - keep it up - you look wonderful - and happy:) Cheers/L

Bullet coffee is my new BFF since doing the May Fasting Challenge!! I usually have three big mugs of coffee/day - read somewhere that it helps to lower BS in Type2s:):) Cheers/L
Aww thank you for your kindness, I changed the photo as it looked weird seeing myself all bundled up in a coat while we are enjoying lovely warm sunshine most days. The original photo was taken in Feb and was about 3mths after diagnosis and this new one was taken a month ago on holiday, so 6mths from diagnosis. I certainly feel well and think the low carb eating suits me plus all the other benefits we get along the way are to be celebrated.
I have just left my surgery having had my 2nd blood test, results to come, fingers crossed for good news.
I love the bullet proof coffee, I also love seeing people’s reactions when I mention what’s in it :)