Blood Glucose Readings On My Apple Watch With Miaomiao

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I didn’t think technology could get much better after getting the Freestyle Libre sensor, this has blown my mind!
I did some research into how best to get my blood sugar readings on my Apple Watch and here we have it
If anyone is interested in the process here you go (with Apple Watch):
1) Ordered the Miao Miao (M) reader online, took 12 days to arrive.
2) In the meantime requested an invite to download the Spike app
3) Once the M arrived I charged it until the green light appeared (took 1 hour)
4) Used the stickers provided to place the reader on top of my Libre sensor
5) Followed the set up tutorial on Spike and used the Watch configuration guide.
6) Covered both with Rocktape.
My biggest worry was if it would get in the way but I certainly put the M to the test last night with a contemporary dance class, involving a lot of rolling around the floor! I totally forgot it was there.
I think the developers of this need a medal and a big thanks to everyone who provided advice! To think this is one of the first of it’s kind, who knows what it might be like in a few years time!
IMG_9142.jpg

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
When I didn’t think technology could get much better after getting the Freestyle Libre sensor, this has blown my mind!
I did some research into how best to get my blood sugar readings on my Apple Watch and here we have it
If anyone is interested in the process here you go (with Apple Watch):
1) Ordered the Miao Miao (M) reader online, took 12 days to arrive.
2) In the meantime requested an invite to download the Spike app
3) Once the M arrived I charged it until the green light appeared (took 1 hour)
4) Used the stickers provided to place the reader on top of my Libre sensor
5) Followed the set up tutorial on Spike and used the Watch configuration guide.
6) Covered both with Rocktape.
My biggest worry was if it would get in the way but I certainly put the M to the test last night with a contemporary dance class, involving a lot of rolling around the floor! I totally forgot it was there.
I think the developers of this need a medal and a big thanks to everyone who provided advice! To think this is one of the first of it’s kind, who knows what it might be like in a few years time! View attachment 26940
fab post thanks for sharing !

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yay, @mytype1.life , it's always good when a plan comes together!

I've been using a watch for bg for a few months now and it's proven to be way more useful than I initially thought it would be.

Quick question: is miaomiao transmitting direct to the watch or going through the phone first?

Reason I ask is that I'm on android with libre/blucon/xdrip+, there's ostensibly a way of making the watch act directly as a collector when out of phone range, but in practice, it only works with a few watches, so I'm curious to know how it works with your set-up?

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yay, @mytype1.life , it's always good when a plan comes together!

I've been using a watch for bg for a few months now and it's proven to be way more useful than I initially thought it would be.

Quick question: is miaomiao transmitting direct to the watch or going through the phone first?

Reason I ask is that I'm on android with libre/blucon/xdrip+, there's ostensibly a way of making the watch act directly as a collector when out of phone range, but in practice, it only works with a few watches, so I'm curious to know how it works with your set-up?

I believe the only way with Apple Watch is to have all 3 in range although it’s possible with other watches/apps think it’s Pebble/Android Wear 2 that it’s possible

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The main differences are that MM is waterproof and rechargeable. BC sits directly over the sensor while MM sits offset with a small overlap - the whole assembly is thinner but has a bigger area.

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The main differences are that MM is waterproof and rechargeable. BC sits directly over the sensor while MM sits offset with a small overlap - the whole assembly is thinner but has a bigger area.

Thank you Mel.

I am assuming like the blueco- it can be linked to my iphone via an app. I don’t have an apple watch.

Do you have to keep your phone within a certain range for this to work? During work hours my phone is kept well away so will the updates still be sent? If not- is an apple watch better in that case?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thank you Mel.

I am assuming like the blueco- it can be linked to my iphone via an app. I don’t have an apple watch.

Do you have to keep your phone within a certain range for this to work? During work hours my phone is kept well away so will the updates still be sent? If not- is an apple watch better in that case?

Yes, I’ve not got my :cat::cat: yet, I only ordered it a few days ago, but I’ll be using it with the Spike app on my iPhone. I’ve got a really old Pebble watch, connected to my phone via Bluetooth. I think you need to be within Bluetooth range for it all to work, although I’m not sure how far that is, so not having your phone nearby could be an issue. But under the Equalities Act 2010, your employer has to make “reasonable adjustments” for your diabetes, so maybe they’d make an exception if you have the mobile phone facility part of it switched off when you’re doing whatever it is you do? It could make you more efficient than stopping your work to scan regularly?

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I’ve not got my :cat::cat: yet, I only ordered it a few days ago, but I’ll be using it with the Spike app on my iPhone. I’ve got a really old Pebble watch, connected to my phone via Bluetooth. I think you need to be within Bluetooth range for it all to work, although I’m not sure how far that is, so not having your phone nearby could be an issue. But under the Equalities Act 2010, your employer has to make “reasonable adjustments” for your diabetes, so maybe they’d make an exception if you have the mobile phone facility part of it switched off when you’re doing whatever it is you do? It could make you more efficient than stopping your work to scan regularly?

I will certainly ask. I work with little humans so for safeguarding purposes (as most mobile phones) have cameras etc I have to keep it away.

I will look into this. Thank you, always helpful

Reactions: mytype1.life

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I will certainly ask. I work with little humans so for safeguarding purposes (as most mobile phones) have cameras etc I have to keep it away.

I will look into this. Thank you, always helpful
Could it be kept in a locked drawer or cupboard in the room in which you are working, maybe?

Reactions: CranberryIce

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To be honest, I don’t know about the Apple Watch, because I don’t have one - maybe the OP could tell you more? My Pebble is very basic, just gives me my notifications. I’ve downloaded a CGM watchface, with which I will hopefully be able to read my levels at a glance.

Reactions: CranberryIce

danbcfc1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’m very new to all this new technology, but I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered a freestyle libra. Now, what are the approximate costs involved with the Miaomiao? How long do they last? What it the accompanying app like? Are they better than the nightrider? I do like the fact they are waterproof. Sorry for all the questions. X