Diabetics R Us

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I hate the feeling that the separate threads have been created. Isn't the whole idea to be supportive and friendly towards everyone? Do we really need separate threads for T1 and T2? This has really saddened me. So I've created this thread.

"A place for us diabetics to have a chat, post blood glucose numbers if you want to, have some fun and banter and a even have a little whinge."

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The threads are in different sections of the forum. There have always been type 1 and type 2 focused threads, in their respective areas. I am glad that @james11 started the separate thread, as i often felt left behind in the banter in the other type 2 chat thread, as a relative newcomer. Not due to clique-ness, but due to shared history among posters and the inevitable references and shorthand which evolves in such case.

Maybe it could be re-named, if the name is seen by some as an issue? I like the new thread and got quite excited by the idea of joining in a chat from the beginning.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just thought of another reason why I liked the dedicated type 2 chat thread - it means I can relax and not have to cross check what type of diabetic someone is, or inadvertently say the wrong type of thing, which happens in other threads.

james11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So @james11 have you had a lovely sunny day? It's been beautiful day here and I've been in the garden for most of it. I'm tired so I'm having a take-away curry for dinner :)
Its been glorius here in suffolk..long may it continue...well into next week at least as were taking our 87 y.o relative allllll the way to greatvyarmouth for a little break...no take away tonight..a lovely salad with roasted jersey pots...just a few for me...lol

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The threads are in different sections of the forum. There have always been type 1 and type 2 focused threads, in their respective areas.
Yes, but we all know that's not why these threads were started up!

Edited by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Liana_Dogariu

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm actually feeling quite tearful now...... I spent all weekend in the company of a T1 and we had a great time chatting and learning from each other. Surely that is what we should be doing?
Exactly. My oldest friend is T1. I still remember her having to inject herself before eating her packed lunch when she was only 13. I'm glad she's still around, but she's having a hard time.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, but we all know that's not why these threads were started up!
I am pretty certain the type 1 thread wouldnt throw type 2's out for posting.

Quoted text edited by moderator

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hate the feeling that the separate threads have been created. Isn't the whole idea to be supportive and friendly towards everyone? Do we really need separate threads for T1 and T2? This has really saddened me. So I've created this thread.

"A place for us diabetics to have a chat, post blood glucose numbers if you want to, have some fun and banter and a even have a little whinge."
Quite right.

Reactions: ickihun

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm actually feeling quite tearful now...... I spent all weekend in the company of a T1 and we had a great time chatting and learning from each other. Surely that is what we should be doing?

We all, at times, have needs that can't be met, within the limits of what is available. It's hard for a forum like this to meet everybody's needs at all times.

I'm inclined to the view we have more in common than differences, approach. But, I don't really come here to discuss the minutiae of my diabetes management issues, I'm more interested in general discussions, which can often be very interesting.

Some people do want to have more detailed discussions about how their management things. I think that might be where people want to separate into T1s and T2s.

It's a shame this has made you feel sad, but I think this is a nice thread.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It's a shame this has made you feel sad, but I think this is a nice thread.
I know you're not looking at me here, but I'm feeling disillusioned rather than sad. It does take some of the joy out of this forum for me.
I agree with everything else you said, and steer well clear of threads regarding T1 treatment and specifik problems.

Reactions: Jenny15

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Any place where people congregate will naturally sort itself into areas where people who have more in common will gather together and share experiences and advice.

There are some issues that are very specific to T1s, to be fair. Same as there are very specific T2 things. And as a tiny minority of the diabetic world, T1 specific things can after get lost among the other still very interesting and informative information here that’s relevant to everyone. I know nothing about Gliclazide, although a couple of real life friends use it. They don’t know agreat deal about fiddling with insulin doses and timing. Nothing sinister about it at all. ;)

[reference to earlier deleted post, edit by Mod]

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know you're not looking at me here, but I'm feeling disillusioned rather than sad. It does take some of the joy out of this forum for me.
I agree with everything else you said, and steer well clear of threads regarding T1 treatment and specifik problems.

I don't think you ha

People do say that in marriages arguments can often be healthy. I think maybe it might be better to see some of those naughty jokes about people with T2 as a sign of fondness for you, rather than anything else.