1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetics R Us

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by archersuz, Jun 11, 2018.

1. michita

michita Type 1 · Well-Known Member

But some of naughty jokes I've seen didn't sound like a sign of fondness ....

• Like Like x 1
  2. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Its really nice of you to say so. I don't take any of that personally, but rather feel that they tend to spoil an otherwise friendly athmosphere. By the way, My husband and I never argue ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. archersuz

archersuz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes I agree with that, but if it's just a chat, have some fun and banter and talk about life in general, then we don't need the divide.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #23 archersuz, Jun 11, 2018 at 9:02 PM
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  4. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I do see where you are coming from. I also recognise that the type 2 thread was started after the type 1 went up, so perhaps it was a response to that?

I suppose I just want a thread to take the p*ss out of type 2 life and the issues specific to type 2's perhaps? I am making the bid assumption that that may have been the motive for the type 1 thread being started? I dont know.

I think I will stick to the informative threads, this trying to chat stuff is a minefield.

• Like Like x 2
  5. archersuz

I don't do small talk generally!

6. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't believe the intention of any of those jokes was to offend. I think it's helpful, where possible, to assume, unless there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that people are not intending to offend.

People may accidentally do it, but I very much doubt they did it intentionally.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Ziggy2017

Ziggy2017 Type 3 · Well-Known Member

Hi everyone glad we are all uniting as diabetics whatever type you have we all face the same struggles such as hypos and hypers

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That sound good.

9. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I do. Some times well not often but some times now and then that is occasionally. Err if you don't mind me saying so.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Well I suggested the T1 thread because a fairly new member wanted to know why not many T1s post. There were already 2 T2 threads which excluded T1s. The division was already there and I thought it would be good if T1s could find the same sort of togetherness that T2s have on those 2 threads. I thought it would be a good place for newbie T1s to start posting if they didn't want to start their own thread. Of course it's good to unite but we do that on most chat threads anyway.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. archersuz

My husband and I never argue - mainly because we avoid each other and don't talk!!

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  12. michita

michita Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ok ... maybe you are right.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Ladies and gents - Would each person posting on this thread, and in general, please be mindful of the content and sentiment.

Tensions seem to be running high at the moment, but making shadowed remarks about other groups of types on other parts of the forum really isn't on.

As Mods we are trying to apply a very light touch, but threads and posts must run within our Ethos and Rules.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Hi Everyone.

This thread (and two others) were all set up with the intention of people finding comfortable, chatty groups for daily interaction. Places where they can feel at home without worrying about treading on toes.

This won't work if people are just using these threads to vent their resentments and make veiled (or less than veiled) criticisms about other members.

So, if people want these threads to flourish and provide community and friendly chat, then the moderation team is asking everyone to respect the spirit in which they threads were created.

The Forum Rules and Ethos are clear - this is not the place to air disagreements.

Regards,
    The whole moderation team

• Like Like x 2
  15. AdamJames

AdamJames Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this thread, I was thinking of doing something similar as I was getting uneasy.

I'm totally supportive of the idea of people with things in common starting a group, so the separate threads for people with various illnesses didn't bother me at first.

I got the impression that the T1 thread was started as it was felt that there are so few T1s compared to T2s that people wanted to create an obvious place for newcomers with T1 to join and feel welcome.

However I think that in both the T1 and T2 threads, the purpose was lost: a newbie with T1 may have read the T2 thread and felt a bit uneasy, and a newbie with T2 may have read the T1 thread and felt a bit uneasy.

Bearing in mind, as the mods have to, that the newbies may be kids, and desperately looking for help and kindness. This is coming from someone who loves banter by the way. Banter between two people who have a feel for each other's sense of humour is one thing. Banter against people who you haven't even met based on an illness they have, in a place where people come looking for help, is another.

I'd love to see the threads continue, and lots of banter, but right now I'm steering clear of both of them until I feel sure that they are a positive thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Just a thought and don't please take me wrong but I have just realised that there is a group missing out in all this the Mods should we start a thread just for them where they could congregate and have friendly banter telling each other to stay on topic or else and all that.

It's alright I know I'm just jealous as I was once nominated for moderator but nobody voted for me boo hoo.

Just to add thank God for that.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. archersuz

Thanks for your support, but I'm getting the feeling that this thread has gone down the same route as the others.....

• Hug Hug x 1
  18. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

"Mods Я Us" ?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. archersuz

Go for it Mr Pot

20. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there, I think I'll try this thread :) . I'm still not completely sure what type I am so to be sure as not to offend anyone I think this one is best for me.
    So anyone got something better to have fun, banter or whinge about than the other two threads?

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook