Diabetics R Us

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I for one am liking this thread. With all these exclusive threads being set up, and as a recent rediagnosis of LADA from Type 2, I would have felt like I didn't have a home! It's good to have somewhere just for diabetics whatever shade of D you happen to be!

Lally123 - As you have been rediagnosed, moving forwards, you might find it helpful to change your diabetes type on your profile. You can do this in your account settings.

This could help prevent erroneous advice being offered at some stage.

Good luck with your new regime etc. It'll be a learning curve, for sure.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m making some changes to my basal insulin at the moment and finding diabetes to be a real PITA. :banghead::banghead::banghead: All hugs gratefully accepted. But I do have a shiny new red steel pen for my Tresiba, so that’s nice.

But in other news, husband brought home a baby cauliflower for 5p from the reduced counter in Asda last night, and it’s now marinating in soya yogurt, chilli sauce and tandoori spice for a roasting later. To go with a saag paneer (made with halloumi) and some cauliflower rice.

Woke up on a 6.3, so I count that as a T1 win :)

Reactions: heh and karen8967

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m making some changes to my basal insulin at the moment and finding diabetes to be a real PITA. :banghead::banghead::banghead: All hugs gratefully accepted. But I do have a shiny new red steel pen for my Tresiba, so that’s nice.

But in other news, husband brought home a baby cauliflower for 5p from the reduced counter in Asda last night, and it’s now marinating in soya yogurt, chilli sauce and tandoori spice for a roasting later. To go with a saag paneer (made with halloumi) and some cauliflower rice.

Woke up on a 6.3, so I count that as a T1 win :)

Have a hug and also a winners badge. It seems like both are appropriate.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But in other news, husband brought home a baby cauliflower for 5p from the reduced counter in Asda last night, and it’s now marinating in soya yogurt, chilli sauce and tandoori spice for a roasting later
I just roast a large cauliflower to accompany curry, I think cauliflower rice is a waste of good cauliflower. I like the sound of the marinating, I will try that next time but what's wrong with normal yogurt?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I just roast a large cauliflower to accompany curry, I think cauliflower rice is a waste of good cauliflower. I like the sound of the marinating, I will try that next time but what's wrong with normal yogurt?
I’m allergic to cow’s milk is what’s wrong worth normal yogurt :)

I love cauliflower rice, but I ignore the cooking instructions and roast that too. Gives a wonderful umami flavour. It’s a bit of a faff, but I roast a 200g tub with a tablespoon of spiced coconut oil at 180C for 30 minutes, turning it over every ten. Makes an awesome egg fried rice too, the flavour is totally different to when you just nuke it, it’s much tastier.

Reactions: heh

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I tried to make caulli rice roasted with chilli after carefully grating the caull myself I burnt it and made chilli caulli charcoal
Carol

Reactions: Fairygodmother

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
To go with a saag paneer (made with halloumi) and some cauliflower rice.

Oh that does sound yummy! I love a good Indian meal, and have just discovered that I can buy Paneer in Denmark, so no need to make it myself anymore.
You're allergic to cow's milk, but paneer is ok? Is it made with buffalo milk?

Reactions: pcs63

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m allergic to cow’s milk is what’s wrong worth normal yogurt :)
Fair enough, I can use normal yogurt then. I guess you must have to buy halloumi that is only sheep's or goat's milk.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh that does sound yummy! I love a good Indian meal, and have just discovered that I can buy Paneer in Denmark, so no need to make it myself anymore.
You're allergic to cow's milk, but paneer is ok? Is it made with buffalo milk?
I did try making paneer from goat milk, and the cheese itself was lovely, but too soft, and it just melted in the curry. Proper halloumi is made with sheep and goat milk, but most UK stuff contains cow’s milk as well. But, Waitrose do one that isn’t, so when I pass a branch (about once a fortnight), I grab a couple. Grated halloumi also makes an excellent crunchy coating for fish - egg wash it, coat in the cheese and pan fry it. Make some chips from turnip or celeriac, and you’ve got a pretty good fish and chips :)

Reactions: heh

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Breaking news pickled Jalapenos coupled with blue berries it not a particularly good afternoon snack taste wise that is.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Grated halloumi also makes an excellent crunchy coating for fish - egg wash it, coat in the cheese and pan fry it. Make some chips from turnip or celeriac, and you’ve got a pretty good fish and chips :)
It sounds as if you've got lots of good ideas :) I'd never even heard of halloumi till now. I wonder if you could buy a few more packets and stick them in the freezer? I know that you can do it with paneer.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It sounds as if you've got lots of good ideas :) I'd never even heard of halloumi till now. I wonder if you could buy a few more packets and stick them in the freezer? I know that you can do it with paneer.
It’s fab stuff. Together with paneer, it’s the only cheese I know of that doesn’t melt when it gets hot. I only buy one pack a fortnight because I’d eat waaaaaaay too much of it. It’s got a long date on, so I could buy more, but it’s also quite expensive. I also like frying chunks of it and having it for breakfast with sliced mushrooms and asparagus cooked in goat butter.