Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Can you actually buy the shakes that they are using I was under the impression they were especially made for the experiment . I would think you would need medical supervision to use them.

It is not medical supervision that I would require. I would need to be strapped to a chair and force fed that gunge by two burly bouncers.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn't we just know the programme would generate a lot of interest here good or bad. mostly bad. It makes me smile reading the comments people get so uptight about any diet they don't do their self and condemn it straight away. Why not just see the programme for what it was meant to show us... an experiment with an 8 weeks liquid diet to see if it would reverse diabetes in the volunteers...look forward to tonights programme

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I do not consider myself to be biased. In fact, having seen the programme I have a new found respect for those few people who did ND on shakes and acheived remission. Having seen the shakes and the effects they cause I know that I would have been one of those who, sadly, did not acheive the desired results.

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This articles seems to show they are now following low carb https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/6524301/liquid-diet-to-reverse-type-2-diabetes/#comments

I did the Newcastle diet a couple of years ago but did it with real food rather than shakes. It gave great results on my morning fasting blood glucose, much better than low carb has done. But it’s low carb that keeps my hba1c levels in normal range time after time. My latest one was into prediabetic range - we all know that’s not because I ate too many calories but because I ate too many carbs.

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Didn't we just know the programme would generate a lot of interest here good or bad. mostly bad. It makes me smile reading the comments people get so uptight about any diet they don't do their self and condemn it straight away. Why not just see the programme for what it was meant to show us... an experiment with an 8 weeks liquid diet to see if it would reverse diabetes in the volunteers...look forward to tonights programme

I think the programme was good to show just what a massive difference you can make to your body in four weeks. These people had really high levels, both blood glucose and liver fat, and the results were dramatic. Yes, similar weight loss and levels can be achieved through low carb but not that quickly. Hopefully tonight’s programme will give advice on how they can keep maintaining good levels longer term

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think the programme was good to show just what a massive difference you can make to your body in four weeks. These people had really high levels, both blood glucose and liver fat, and the results were dramatic. Yes, similar weight loss and levels can be achieved through low carb but not that quickly. Hopefully tonight’s programme will give advice on how they can keep maintaining good levels longer term

We must keep in mind that over half of those on the official ND regime did not attain the desired results.

Edited to change the word 'acheive' to one of 'attain' as I feel that it was the wrong way of describing the personal result of some individuals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bea56

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
We must keep in mind that over half of those on the official ND regime did not attain the desired results.

Edited to change the word 'acheive' to one of 'attain' as I feel that it was the wrong way of describing the personal result of some individuals.

But what if these people then then supported with some sort of low carb, would they get better results then starting with low carb from day one?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
But what if these people then then supported with some sort of low carb, would they get better results then starting with low carb from day one?

I have no idea. ND seems to promote the speed of the results rather than the sustainability which, obviously, given how long the research has lasted is yet to be proven.

Reactions: briped

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
personally I think a glass of whole milk and a good multi vitamin and mineral tablet would do the same thing, and taste a whole lot better, at a fraction of the cost.
Not to mention two rashers of bacon and a fried egg...plus a multi vitamin!

Reactions: ThePenguinPimp

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That would explain why they only lost a bit of weight and their blood sugars weren't totally normal at the end.. they can't have been truly low carb
Err they lost 6-18 kg each and definitely lowered their bgs without medication! And more to the point their liver fat massively reduced hence they did something to reverse the cause of their diabetes.
It is proven to work and is just another way to achieve the same result as low carb though I have my doubts about how they will do tonight when back in the real world.
The clue is in the tile The Fast Fix. A low carb diet is not as telly friendly as the Newcastle Diet or other gastric liver shrinking measures such as bariatric surgery.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't have an issue with the liquid diet in itself, it was the way they presented the ethos of diabetes, ie, stuff your face, get fat, get diabetes, then starve yourself for a month and get cured. Far too simplistic and I personally think it was irresponsible leaving probably millions of viewers with the impression that is the only way to do it. Why even make it about diabetes if you are not going to give an all rounded account, they may as well have focused on Joe Public and their fatty livers. Also who on earth could maintain that diet? Does anyone??

Reactions: ThePenguinPimp

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Err they lost 6-18 kg each and definitely lowered their bgs without medication! And more to the point their liver fat massively reduced hence they did something to reverse the cause of their diabetes.
It is proven to work and is just another way to achieve the same result as low carb though I have my doubts about how they will do tonight when back in the real world.
The clue is in the tile The Fast Fix. A low carb diet is not as telly friendly as the Newcastle Diet or other gastric liver shrinking measures such as bariatric surgery.

Ok I dont think I watched all the results I think I turned it off when their results were showing still elevated blood sugar levels after a month.. after a month of drinking (mystery) gunk there is no excuse unless said gunk contained quite a few carbs.. But yeah lol 18 kg is good though not unusual considering how much some had to lose in first place and limiting things will do that its just a program about diabetes should be talking about carbs.. a word that was not mentioned once that I noticed (and I think I'd have fallen off my chair if I had given the ridiculousness of the program).

Reactions: KK123

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not medical supervision that I would require. I would need to be strapped to a chair and force fed that gunge by two burly bouncers.
The shakes didn't look pleasant or apetizing but sometimes you have to knuckle down and just get on with things. I am sure there are far worse things people put up with on a daily basis if they have to.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The shakes didn't look pleasant or apetizing but sometimes you have to knuckle down and just get on with things. I am sure there are far worse things people put up with on a daily basis if they have to.

I had steak, onions and buttered cabbage for my first meal of the day today. You will not be able to convince me.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yeah, so I just finished fish and chips. Cod with a grated halloumi coating, turnip chips, asparagus and all for only 9g carbs :)

You can keep the chemical gunk!

B77B0FCB-72E4-42D1-A3BB-8680842E23AA.jpeg

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had steak, onions and buttered cabbage for my first meal of the day today. You will not be able to convince me.
Yeah but if "someone" was to hide your false teeth,:(
then you would have to drink the shake. :shifty:
:bag:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I agree with you but if I am honest if I had seen the programme before finding this forum and hearing about other approaches I would not have chosen the shakes way. It will be interesting to see how the participants get on IRL on shakes and whether the carrot is sweet enough to stave off the stick.
It's a shame they didn't have double the amount, with half on real food. I understand the shakes allow a consistent macro and calorie count; but say 780 cals one day and 820 the next on real food I feel would be easier i.e like the Blood Sugar Diet. I think this would help with preparation, cooking and take up.

Reactions: Guzzler