T1 Low Carb What Should I Know

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
That’s a great start, well done! It’s a massive change to make, and needs total commitment, but the effect on my bgs has been just incredible. Not swinging around all over the place has really calmed my bipolar mood fluctuations too.

Are you making sure you get enough electrolytes? Potassium, magnesium and sodium are key. You need a lot of them to avoid the dreaded “keto flu” that can hit you for a few days when you start.

I dont think i have much to loose by trying it. Diagnosed with sca-6 i still have a heavy vechice licence. Hoping thats enough commitment.

I thought id have a carb flu but it seems ok. I have magnesium dont have potasium salt will have to start using it on meals.

Today still on target for 20gm and stable.:)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I dont think i have much to loose by trying it. Diagnosed with sca-6 i still have a heavy vechice licence. Hoping thats enough commitment.

I thought id have a carb flu but it seems ok. I have magnesium dont have potasium salt will have to start using it on meals.

Today still on target for 20gm and stable.:)
Lo-salt is a great source of potassium. I make a pint of water with half a teaspoon and a splash of either ginger Kombucha, apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to wash down my pills of a morning. And I have another bottle in the fridge with just the lo-salt and water to drink throughout the day - seems to work well enough!

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is definitely something in the low carb thing!
I have been averaging 80g carbs and 1000 calories for last 7 days.
Mild Ketosis but steady numbers..
IMG_7180.jpg

thilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I read a study (Scandinavian) about people with type 1 who ate 40-80g of carbs a day. All the participants had better HbA1cs after a few months, those who stuck to it had near perfect bloods a few years later on. As far as I can remember there weren't any disadvantages (just most didn't stick with it).
On a similar topic, are there any threads on not eating sugar?

gkyeo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd love to hear from an athelete or physically active person how they get on with low carbing. Do they loose fat or muscle? I'm maintaining my weight at 70kg on 30-50 gms. No excercise only physical housework.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @mountaintom,
My suggestion is to check whatever low carb food intake you decide upon with a dietician.
My concern is that some possible mineral, vitamin, omega 3 and 6 plus fibre deficiencies can result unless the right foods and proportion of foods is taken. For example where would you get vitamin C from ?
Thinking about it, Eskimos have been on protein/fat diets for centuries BUT they were fortunate as it was later proven that the uncooked flesh beneath the skin of some whales contains vitamin C. Without that they would have died from vitamin C deficiency.

boboblck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been doing low carb for a few weeks, and had great numbers. Had a meeting at work on Friday.. biscuits, cakes and coffee provided and I thought aw one wouldn’t hurt.. ended up not being able to stop eating! Ha ever since I’ve been eating pizza, chips , chocolate and sweets.. I’m getting back on track today. It must be psychological thing where your body feels deprived and goes into overdrive when you have some carbs again!! Obviously my bs numbers have been awful even though I injected for all this ****..

Off to supermarket to buy proper low carb food. I was doing less than 30grams of carbs before which might have been too much for body to handle so soon. Il do 50-70 g for now and see if can stick to it!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I get plenty of vitamin C from all the veg I eat, but supplement as well (my glucosamine contains vit C).

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would just say if you're gonna do low carb keep an eye on your ratios and background insulin if you start having hypos a lot. Good luck! I eat sort of low-ist carb on most days haha, anything from 20-80. I tried the stricter diets but I just ended up binging carbs out of frustration!
Bear in mind that a fully charged liver is your best safety net... if you do have hypos you need to consider how it's going to get refilled before it's reserves are needed again. The alternatives to carbs will take longer to achieve this.

Shiba.