Type 1'stars R Us

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_1529310388.123822.jpg

This is 2 hrs after a low carb (20g) breakfast. WTAF is going on today? So frustrating.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. Yeah I’ve just run up and down the stairs 10 times and walked down the track to get signal to make a phone call (we are remote here) and the insulin is working now. Weird. Sometimes it seems like it needs waking up or something.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks. Yeah I’ve just run up and down the stairs 10 times and walked down the track to get signal to make a phone call (we are remote here) and the insulin is working now. Weird. Sometimes it seems like it needs waking up or something.
Weird, how that works. Glad it’s kicked in now x

Reactions: Robinredbreast

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Do you think it could be injection sites? Bad absorption?
You’ve not been diagnosed that long, have you? Bad injection sites take a long time to happen, I understand. It’s probably just the diabetes fairy mucking (or something that rhymes) with you :(

Reactions: mountaintom

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You’ve not been diagnosed that long, have you? Bad injection sites take a long time to happen, I understand. It’s probably just the diabetes fairy mucking (or something that rhymes) with you :(

No since January. Okay it’s deffo the fairies then.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I’d love to have the confidence to do it in my arms.
Go for it. What are you worried by? Then we can try to help. Upper arms ok for me. I once tried the wrist but it hurt like anything.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
In the wrist??! Christ!
Do you pinch in your upper arm?
Yeah the wrist was a mistake. Upper arm I just stab as can't work out how I'd punch and plunge.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah the wrist was a mistake. Upper arm I just stab as can't work out how I'd punch and plunge.

Oh of course! I didn’t think about that. I’m gonna try it today. Might have a look at YouTube tho.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I inject into my deltoid or calf muscle with a longer needle if I want the NovoSluggish to work a bit quicker. It kicks in in around half an hour, compared to the hour if I inject into my lardy bits.

Basically a 4mm needle into fat for food, and a 6mm needle into muscle for corrections.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So will it work quicker in my arm?
Theoretically. It’s a technique I learned from my Bernstein book (caveat - while I think he’s great, he ain’t god, despite what some others say!) - injecting into fat makes it absorb into the bloodstream slower than into muscle. He recommend the deltoid when you want fast corrections. I only use very small doses though, I wouldn’t do it with more that 1.5u. If I needed a big correction dose, I’d put up to 1.5u into a muscle, and the rest into fat.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a warning - the arm, particularly if you are very lean, can be extremely painful for some people. If I get it in the wrong place I can get huge bruises, almost like blood blisters.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Just a warning - the arm, particularly if you are very lean, can be extremely painful for some people. If I get it in the wrong place I can get huge bruises, almost like blood blisters.
Yes, that's the wrist story.