Metformin increase and ongoing diarrhoea

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
My Metformin dose was 1000mg a day for 9 years then we agreed to increase it to 1500mg a day about 6 months ago. I developed on and off diarrhoea and thought it would come right as my body got used to the higher dose. One of my doctors has said that in my case he thinks it won't come right as long as I keep taking this dose (and he agrees with staying on it). He also said switching to a slow release form won't make much of a difference.

He recommended reducing the dose of a laxative I have to take for the side effects of another essential medication I'm on. I think this approach will work. He discussed in detail how to tweak the dose over time to get it just right.

I have had IBS since childhood, so dealing with diarrhoea and constipation is normal for me. It surprised me that such a small increase in Metformin could do this but I believe him. Tests have ruled out other causes such as infection.

My question is: Why does Metformin cause diarrhoea in some people? Does it sort of block the absorption of carbs in the bowel? I think it's a great treatment but I am curious and want to understand it better. Thanks.

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
"Metformin alters the microbiome, which may improve glucose tolerance, but, conversely, may play a role in metformin intolerance"

ie it annoys the hell out of the little bugs in your gut.

Reactions: Jenny15

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you thought about changing your diet at all? There are many anecdotal stories about relief from IBS when following a low carb/ ketogenic diet as well as good blood sugar control of course.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Have you thought about changing your diet at all? There are many anecdotal stories about relief from IBS when following a low carb/ ketogenic diet as well as good blood sugar control of course.
Thanks, but I have tried many dietary changes over the years, including low carb. During long periods of good blood sugar control and low carbing I still had IBS. Have been to many doctors, tried many medications and approaches. At the moment it's a case of tackling the biggest problems first and this isn't the biggest one I have. Cheers

charK60

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t know about why it is but when I took over care of my mom she was having bouts of diarrhea that hit so suddenly she was unable to have any social life and episodes left her exhausted for hours after.
I researched her medications and the pharma companies All issued statements that any diarrhea from metformin would abate after a while.
However, when I looked at testimonials from real people I found that GENERIC metformin produced the ongoing problem of sudden diarrhea. Some said they had gone back to original prescriptions and the symptoms cleared!
Our insurance companies require the pharmacist to fill orders with generics where possible so I had my mom switched to januvia. She did improve with the change though she still suffered from IBS. The explosive sudden attacks stopped.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of my doctors has said that in my case he thinks it won't come right as long as I keep taking this dose (and he agrees with staying on it). He also said switching to a slow release form won't make much of a difference.
All the same, why not try the extended release version? Even if it doesn't do much, every little counts. And doctors are not always right.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He recommended reducing the dose of a laxative I have to take for the side effects of another essential medication I'm on
Yes, taking Metformin, which is notorious for it's unwanted laxative effects AND another laxative sounds like over-kill to me. Personally, I have found a solution for my really bad constipation problems in glycerol suppositories. They contain no drugs, being composed of peanut oil, and the great advantage is that one can choose to have a bowel movement when it is convenient. I am taking 2g daily of Glucophage XR and I get the occasional loose bowel movement, but nothing uncontrollable.

Ally Pally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The colour pink!
I don’t know about why it is but when I took over care of my mom she was having bouts of diarrhea that hit so suddenly she was unable to have any social life and episodes left her exhausted for hours after.
I researched her medications and the pharma companies All issued statements that any diarrhea from metformin would abate after a while.
However, when I looked at testimonials from real people I found that GENERIC metformin produced the ongoing problem of sudden diarrhea. Some said they had gone back to original prescriptions and the symptoms cleared!
Our insurance companies require the pharmacist to fill orders with generics where possible so I had my mom switched to januvia. She did improve with the change though she still suffered from IBS. The explosive sudden attacks stopped.

I was on Metformin 1000mg twice daily, plus Lantus at bedtime and had explosive bursts of diarrhoea (picture that when you’re out walking the dogs ). Changed to Galvus 50mg twice daily plus Lantus and I ended up with chronic headaches and was in a zombie-like state. Discussed with my GP and I’m now back on Metformin 500mg twice daily, Januvia 100mg once per day plus Lantus at bedtime. Two only episodes of diarrhoea when I changed back to Metformin and, since then, all has settled down (thank goodness). Dogs & I can again enjoy our walks.

Agnesmuir13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My Metformin dose was 1000mg a day for 9 years then we agreed to increase it to 1500mg a day about 6 months ago. I developed on and off diarrhoea and thought it would come right as my body got used to the higher dose. One of my doctors has said that in my case he thinks it won't come right as long as I keep taking this dose (and he agrees with staying on it). He also said switching to a slow release form won't make much of a difference.

He recommended reducing the dose of a laxative I have to take for the side effects of another essential medication I'm on. I think this approach will work. He discussed in detail how to tweak the dose over time to get it just right.

I have had IBS since childhood, so dealing with diarrhoea and constipation is normal for me. It surprised me that such a small increase in Metformin could do this but I believe him. Tests have ruled out other causes such as infection.

My question is: Why does Metformin cause diarrhoea in some people? Does it sort of block the absorption of carbs in the bowel? I think it's a great treatment but I am curious and want to understand it better. Thanks.
Hi don’t know if you aware but you can m
I was on Metformin 1000mg twice daily, plus Lantus at bedtime and had explosive bursts of diarrhoea (picture that when you’re out walking the dogs ). Changed to Galvus 50mg twice daily plus Lantus and I ended up with chronic headaches and was in a zombie-like state. Discussed with my GP and I’m now back on Metformin 500mg twice daily, Januvia 100mg once per day plus Lantus at bedtime. Two only episodes of diarrhoea when I changed back to Metformin and, since then, all has settled down (thank goodness). Dogs & I can again enjoy our walks.

Agnesmuir13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi don’t know if your aware but there is a liquid form of metformin available the side effects are not as bad as the tablets and also being a liquid version a lot easier to take , specially as the tablets are big , as it costs a lot more for the liquid version not a lot of people know about it and it being available , so they tend to put people on the tablets

Freckledjet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I started on Metformin 3×500mg start away on diagnosis. After a while had sudden urges to go! So changed to Metformin S/R 2×750mg first thing in the morning and that's it for the day.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
my daughter is on slow release metformim but they are tablets as it did upset he tummy so