Synexus Trials

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had an e-mail from Diabetes.co.uk, suggesting that older T2's contact Synexus to get involved in some trials.

I had a quick scout around their site, and found this:

http://www.synexus.com/go/what_we_do/trial_boost/

It looks like, if a company is carrying out a trial, and the results are not going their way, Synexus will get involved and get the trials "back on track"...

Bit worrying. Sounds like they are "cherry picking" results of so say "impartial" trials... :(

Do impartial trials even exist anymore? Sounds to me like a drug/treatment is developed, then the results of the clinical trials are butchered to fit the expectations/hopes of the manufacturers to allow themto sell their new product.

SURELY clinical trials should not be subject to this kind of treatment???

We've got no chance...

benedict

Administrator
I'm something of a cynic myself about how beneficial certain trials are but my understanding of this is that Synexus simply provide a greater number of participants. It seems as though 'off target' is more to do with not meeting time scales or participant numbers.

Benedict

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I agree with Benedict.......I think I am also one of the biggest sceptics around !

I looked all over the website and nowhere does it say or imply that they are 'cherry picking' results and possibly 'fixing' the data.......it just says that they can provide numbers of patients to be part of the trials, from their database.

This is what they do:
Synexus recruits patients and runs clinical trials at its own Dedicated Research Centres staffed by full time GCP investigators who work solely on clinical trials. The Synexus model has been designed to:

•Speed up clinical trials
•Reduce costs
•Provide access to millions of patients worldwide

Sounds fine to me. However, if anybody has any proof that isn't the case......let us know.

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
Hi There
i have opted in to give this a try as i just qualify age wise, i may be too far away from any of the centres to be viable for travlleing, but it will give me an isight as to how it works
I'll let you know
Crofty

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Before any research starts a protocol is written stating what is going to be done and how. For major research this is often published. So for example here is the protocol for the study on self monitoring in T2 by Farmer and Co
http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/1086/

If there is any deviation from the protocol this and the reasons for will need to be submitted to any ethics/ university funding committees etc.
The Us has a large data base of research protocols
Here is it's section for clinical trials in Diabetes .http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?c ... ellitus%22
Others around the world are listed here
http://www.library.uq.edu.au/hsl/useits ... rials.html

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Looks like a way to make the trial fit the "Known Facts"
there's entirely too much of that sort of "Science" about
Hana

shirleymarye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Sport !
I have just started going to Synexus for the Diabetes drug trials which is for 2 years and 2 months,I had a medical today and I will return next week for results of tests taken today. They paid for return fare by taxi to where I live and I received a hot drink and something to eat before I went home. I live about 20 miles away from the centre and I am 72 and a type 2 diabetic. You also get scans of your body and complete health check before starting. So far so good!

Terminator 2

I have just started going to Synexus for the Diabetes drug trials which is for 2 years and 2 months,I had a medical today and I will return next week for results of tests taken today. They paid for return fare by taxi to where I live and I received a hot drink and something to eat before I went home. I live about 20 miles away from the centre and I am 72 and a type 2 diabetic. You also get scans of your body and complete health check before starting. So far so good!

How did it all pan out shirleymarye? Old thread I know but on the plus side your Synexus trial will have concluded :D

Had a letter in from my GP with regards to participating in a clinical study into Dyslipidemia, hence the ask.